Probably know what answer I'll get here, but Vela or Tele?

Aahzz

Bluebeard Member
OK, so my jam band died, and I really no longer have a use for my SE Hollowbody II. Damn fine guitar, but I'm looking at putting together a new band doing 90s alt/modern rock type stuff - Gin Blossoms, STP, Foo Fighters, Jet, etc., and I want a new toy. The HB works OK for that, but not as well as the Mira. I'm down to 2 electrics for a variety of reasons, and I adore my 2010 Mira, it's not going anywhere. So, need something to complement it, also being a backup. I dig Teles, and haven't had one for awhile. I've heard the Vela gets into Tele territory, but am not quite sure. I'm also not necessarily married to Tele type tones at the moment, just looking for something different. I have tried like crazy to find a Vela locally to try, but alas, have failed miserably - all the local guitar stores have slim pickins' at the moment.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

You can definitely cover STP and Foo Fighters with your Mira! But if you need an excuse for a single coil guitar, no argument here. I'd consider a Tele and a Strat style guitar, and others like the Vela, although I've never had a chance to play a Vela. You could also add a compressor to your Mira setup and probably just fine. I used to avoid single coils until I started playing with others in a mix and actually prefer them now. I also favor jazzmasters. I preferred Teles to Strats for the longest time, but now coming around to the allure of the Strat-style.

If it was me, I'd back up the Mira with the hollowbody. If you've got an itch for a Tele, build one. I've had this weird itch for a La Cabronita style tele recently, but I may try to scratch it with some filtertons in my PRS SE Hollowbody. But then, I enjoy doing the modifications, and my first impulse is to modify what I have rather than sell something and buy something else.

I'd vote Vela. But, if you are really looking for that Tele tone, and not something kinda, sorta, almost close to it, you gotta get the Tele.

Everyone should have a Tele, if just to have a common reference point. Its total lack of sophistication is its main attraction. And no one feels bad about beating on a Tele. (I would never treat a PRS like I treat a Tele).

I went forth and played some Teles today, and was reminded both why I like them and also why I never keep one. Looking for a nice used Vela....

Gosh, I feel the exact same way.

I want to like them, but never do, though I did have a nice Anderson Hollow T, that was tele-ish for a while, the "ish" being the key term here.

Here's something that will sound off the wall: With the coils split, and an EQ pedal, I can get surprisingly close with my McCarty Trem. I know, completely counter-intuitive, right?

I simply roll back the bass, increase the upper mids, and dang!

There's no explaining audio.

My son's principal guitars are Teles, and I just don't frickin' get it. I sit down to play his vintage ones, and they feel like it feels to drive 1952 Oldsmobiles to me.

"What experience do you have with 1952 Oldsmobiles?"

"My dad had one when I was little. I learned to drive on a '54 Oldsmobile at Arrow Driving School, though. It was like steering an ocean liner. You basically had to initiate a turn about a half block in advance, and eventually the car would turn. Not your most responsive car, even in the '60s. My driving instructor gave you demerits if you caused him to spill his coffee. Avoiding a spill wasn't hard, because the brakes had to also be applied about a half block in advance. Then the car would basically list to the right or left like a sinking ship, and gradually make the turn. It was sort of a stately kind of turn. The steering wheel was made for giants, and the automatic shift lever was built for someone 7 feet tall as well. And I'm not a short person, I'm 6' and have been since I was about 16."

Last edited:
Never played a Vela so take this with a grain of salt. The T style guitar is perhaps the greatest guitar ever made. They really did do it right the first time. A 51 nocaster sounds incredible but so do the modern interpretations made today. So many options out there to make nearly every type of player happy. The neck pickup thru a non master volume amp on the edge of break up is perhaps my favorite tone ever. Flip to the bridge and get the tele bite everyone loves. I highly recommend looking into wiring just the bridge pickup to the tone control so you can keep it rolled back and get the neck full

Well you definitely know my answer because I gave it on TGP, but just to reiterate ...

Starla! :)

I went forth and played some Teles today, and was reminded both why I like them and also why I never keep one. Looking for a nice used Vela....

what was it about the Tele you played that turned you off? What model? I’d like a Vela, but not sure I’d take it over my Tele.

Congrats on the incoming Vela. Love my Tele. My Baja is my go to for songwriting. It stands proudly on stage next to my Standard 24 as well. I'm intrigued by the Vela, but I think I've bought my last guitar for quite a while.

Back