Private Stock PRS w/ Soap Bars Pickup Height!

Frank Morley

Just curious on what everyone's thoughts are on proper pickup heights for a PRS w/ 3 p90s...

Thanks Everybody!
XUyWDW3UTfenacEi8

My opinion is: whatever works for the tonez you want. Factory =/= Proper, it is just a useful default.

btw, you linked to the image webpage, not the image itself. This is the image:

7ZDCuBYfIOimIAxo_VQzXu3OOxaOxQHCIvWoK5Z2Ot0cL-u8wXAsvcky-uO77_r9QIU5-IQvL9U7svmaA_In7OUdbGJqkVU_TtN772iV5e2o6uoN-f3UxCvtJNhaJoCsbpGti-4EcFY=w719-h958-no

how do you post an image directly to a post?

Sweet guitar! Why not contact PRS Customer Service? I'm sure they'd be happy to tell you the answer.

Sweet Guitar I have one also
Mine is set at ( I like mine your result may vary :) )
Bridge 3.3 mm ( top of string to pole piece ) Low E I run the pickups pretty flat
Mid 4.2 mm
neck 5.3 mm

That guitar looks sweet! I just got a guitar that I assume had pickups at whatever the factory set them at. Sounded good, but I thought it could be better so I set the height of the pickup I figure to use the most first. I raised it up and got it sounding great. Then adjusted the other pickup to match volume level wise, both by itself and combined with the first pickup. The guitar sounds awesome now.

how do you post an image directly to a post?
You need to grab the direct link to the image, not just the page the image is on.

In your case, I opened your link in a new window, then opened the image itself in a new window, right clicked image, "Copy Image Address", then in the post window for here I clicked on the "Image" tool (symbol with mountains and sun/moon), pasted in link, selected "Insert" in the dialog, and that was that.

I just got a guitar that I assume had pickups at whatever the factory set them at. Sounded good, but I thought it could be better so I set the height of the pickup I figure to use the most first. I raised it up and got it sounding great. Then adjusted the other pickup to match volume level wise, both by itself and combined with the first pickup. The guitar sounds awesome now.

You are a better man than I!

Every time I adjust pickup height, I wonder if I really like the change, and when I go back to factory spec I always wonder if maybe it was better before I messed with it.

There's a similar thing that's happened when I've adjusted the neck relief. :eek:

So a while back I decided to let an expert do setups and other adjustments.

You are a better man than I!

Every time I adjust pickup height, I wonder if I really like the change, and when I go back to factory spec I always wonder if maybe it was better before I messed with it.

There's a similar thing that's happened when I've adjusted the neck relief. :eek:

So a while back I decided to let an expert do setups and other adjustments.
Ha, it's usually more of a feeling in my gut when I get it right. A, yep- there it is! - feeling. I'm a second guesser too, but I know when I hear and feel what I want to. Relief is an easier science to me since I know how I want the guitar to feel under my fingers. Too flat, my string bends don't feel right so that's pretty easy. I stay as flat as I can but still being able get under and bend easy. In general I think I like a hair more relief than the PRS guide. When I say a hair, I really mean a hair. I can use the PRS recommendation and be just fine. Pickup height can be little more difficult since each pickup can have variation in how they measure.

Back