Private Stock Monday: For ALL Forum Members - Share the Love

Such a great looking and I’m sure sounding acoustic.

I really like the flamed maple binding, with the subtle, black/white/black beneath, creating separation between it and the gorgeous flamed maple sides! Appointments like this go unnoticed.

Come on “The Tour”!:D

Alnus, you’re observant!

Actually, I didn’t want a Private Stock. What I wanted was a maple version of the Tonare Grand Core model that I had in cocobolo, but the only way I could get it was to go PS. So that’s what I did.

I ordered the binding and the other stuff that was standard on the non-PS version of this model (they later changed the model to PS only). I didn’t spec anything other than the types of woods I wanted, and in fact, I was originally going to go with a natural finish without a color stain. For example, the hollow birds were standard on the Core version, as was the maple binding, etc.

The PS folks weren’t very excited about natural, no-stain for one of their babies, and suggested the Blonde color in the pic (I think it’s called Dirty Blonde?) with a very slight burst around the edges. I was good with that, so off we went!

This is going to sound a little crazy, but I didn’t want a guitar that screamed, “Private Stock” when I pulled it out at a session. The folks I work with aren’t especially impressed with my guitar playing (for good reason - my bandmate toured with Art Garfunkel, for example, and is one of the finest fingerstyle players I’ve ever heard), and I was thinking I’d fly a little under the radar, that maybe folks would glance at it and perhaps think it was a J200 without a pick guard.

Fat chance. The thing does look like a PS, and yes, I’m a little sheepish pulling it out when good players are over. But it sounds so good that I’m glad I got it. It records like a champion, and does exactly what I got it to do (except look ordinary).

My son said that it sounds as big as a piano, and I agree!

Last edited:
There’s only been two PRS guitars ever built with an African Blackwood neck. Indeed Paul has gone on record in a PRS Facebook video saying that African Blackwood neck blanks are the rarest woods he’s ever seen in his long career.

I give you the Black Panther. Okay okay, the connection is tenuous at best.
WYbDuOc.jpg

kEEDmYf.jpg

But it’s definitely one of the Kings in my collection, so....

Love it.

Alnus, you’re observant!

Actually, I didn’t want a Private Stock. What I wanted was a maple version of the Tonare Grand Core model that I had in cocobolo, but the only way I could get it was to go PS. So that’s what I did.

I ordered the binding and the other stuff that was standard on the non-PS version of this model (they later changed the model to PS only). I didn’t spec anything other than the types of woods I wanted, and in fact, I was originally going to go with a natural finish without a color stain. For example, the hollow birds were standard on the Core version, as was the maple binding, etc.

The PS folks weren’t very excited about natural, no-stain for one of their babies, and suggested the Blonde color in the pic (I think it’s called Dirty Blonde?) with a very slight burst around the edges. I was good with that, so off we went!

This is going to sound a little crazy, but I didn’t want a guitar that screamed, “Private Stock” when I pulled it out at a session. The folks I work with aren’t especially impressed with my guitar playing (for good reason - my bandmate toured with Art Garfunkel, for example), and I was thinking I’d fly a little under the radar, that maybe folks would glance at it and perhaps think it was a J200 without a pick guard.

Fat chance. The thing does look like a PS, and yes, I’m a little sheepish pulling it out when good players are over. But it sounds so good that I’m glad I got it. It records like a champion, and does exactly what I got it to do (except look ordinary).

My son said that it sounds as big as a piano, and I agree!
Subtlety under-stated Les. Very nice!

Have you seen the PRS upload on you tube with Tony McManus and Helen Toaspern. You might be interested. The two playing together sound almost orchestral at times.

Tony McManus doesn’t actually play guitar. He’s actually a Force user who moves the strings telekinetically, while the finger movements are just a cover for a secret that would otherwise ruin his life (you know, incarceration in Area 51, experiments and dissection). :eek:

Sorry. I mean, how else do you explain it.

The PS folks weren’t very excited about natural, no-stain for one of their babies, and suggested the Blonde color in the pic (I think it’s called Dirty Blonde?) with a very slight burst around the edges. I was good with that, so off we went!!

I like the look...my Tonare is “Dirty Natural” with a tiger eye edge burst (on quilted maple). The PS acoustic guys build some amazing stuff!!!

I guess it is Monday so I'll contribute to this thread. There isn't really a great story with this one or even build picks but I'll post for the greater good. This first guitar is not a Private Stock but a rather special guitar anyway. You don't see many CU24s with the TOM bridge and certainly not a nitro finish. The guitar was light and sounded & played great.
SM1GWtQh.jpg

Guitar 2 is the Private Stock and is at least in the ballpark with features. It has the same bridge, finish, and pickups. Major differences would include the Brazilian Rosewood neck and white gold outlined birds. And it's a CU22. I normally prefer Custom 24s but this one is trying hard to convert me. It's not over the top cosmetically in pics but it sure makes me stop and stare in person.
rJokayah.jpg

I guess it is Monday so I'll contribute to this thread. There isn't really a great story with this one or even build picks but I'll post for the greater good. This first guitar is not a Private Stock but a rather special guitar anyway. You don't see many CU24s with the TOM bridge and certainly not a nitro finish. The guitar was light and sounded & played great.
SM1GWtQh.jpg

Guitar 2 is the Private Stock and is at least in the ballpark with features. It has the same bridge, finish, and pickups. Major differences would include the Brazilian Rosewood neck and white gold outlined birds. And it's a CU22. I normally prefer Custom 24s but this one is trying hard to convert me. It's not over the top cosmetically in pics but it sure makes me stop and stare in person.
rJokayah.jpg

Both beautiful...the quilt on that PS though...man o man that’s gorgeous!

I need to stop looking at Reverb when I get bored. Got this coming in this week, Murali's DGT Pernambuco in Glacier Blue. This will be my 3rd guitar from this line :eek::oops:.

sebwif.jpg

i5rwc8.jpg

Glacier Blue is a great color and that guitar looks killer.

SM1GWtQh.jpg

rJokayah.jpg

I’m in love on both counts.

Back