Private Stock Monday: For ALL Forum Members - Share the Love

Something special for this Monday...it all began over a year ago when Brian posted these pics of a killer set of wood he selected for a PS for the shop...

eHBQUMx.jpg

3Fn7x4R.jpg

TASggz5.jpg

yCS89ic.jpg

Very unique spalted top...really grabbed me. I loved how the growth rings looked on this piece...and immediately thought they’d look cool on a singlecut. Paired with a nice BRW neck and interesting exotic ebony FB, and nice hog body, looked like a winner to me. The singlecut (594 Semihollow SC) wasn’t Brian’s initial plan...but fortunately he and the PS team were willing to be flexible and indulge some “special requests” on my part. We were going to do copper sheeting on the unspalted areas of the top...like one of these (but that plan changed too...)

L2Z7i7P.jpg

Deciding how to place the template was a little challenging...trying to get it lined up with the growth rings...and watching out for the small defect from the spalt (positioned under treble pickup route)...
JcC4YM7.jpg

But it worked out pretty nice...I smiled when I saw this pic on the PRS Instagram/FB pages with the instructions for my crazy electronics written on the top...(like the “specials” board at a diner)

sC599qU.jpg

Caught a few glimpses of the headstock and neck (top right) as well...

vUi0XUs.jpg

yX1x8TS.jpg

I think I drove poor Paul Miles a bit crazy with the electronics on this...he even did a blank mock-up of the layout on mahogany, until we got the layout just right...

ZuTg6Fx.jpg

Got to see her in progress...in person...on a recent trip to the factory w Brian...

Look at that control cavity!!!

ez5JJjP.jpg

9gpWPMy.jpg

This last view...made me rethink the copper sheeting on top plan...

Af2iUHa.jpg

Needed special backplates for this beauty...

FxuQpxS.jpg

xZB37h0.jpg

Last edited:
The final configuration is a standard 594 layout...plus a vol knob and three way mini toggle for piezo, and an extra mini toggle “blower” switch (bridge pickup straight to output jack, vol/tone bypassed). Copper inlays w Gold MOP outlines, all spalted knobs and tuner buttons, ebony rings...went with flamed Koa FB an Headstock bindings too.

EQhhip8.jpg

3eQgvjE.jpg

aK80gGP.jpg

E7doLIW.jpg

zJ5x7t0.jpg

WVPgEPf.jpg

Check out in the last pic how the copper inlays are “countersunk” within the MOP outlines and sealed w acrylic...super cool detail.

And yes...she sounds AMAZING!!!

The final configuration is a standard 594 layout...plus a vol knob and three way mini toggle for piezo, and an extra mini toggle “blower” switch (bridge pickup straight to output jack, vol/tone bypassed). Copper inlays w Gold MOP outlines, all spalted knobs and tuner buttons, ebony rings...went with flamed Koa FB an Headstock bindings too.

EQhhip8.jpg

3eQgvjE.jpg

aK80gGP.jpg

E7doLIW.jpg

zJ5x7t0.jpg

WVPgEPf.jpg

Check out in the last pic how the copper inlays are “countersunk” within the MOP outlines and sealed w acrylic...super cool detail.

What an epic build and build thread! Congrats!

EQhhip8.jpg

3eQgvjE.jpg

aK80gGP.jpg

E7doLIW.jpg

zJ5x7t0.jpg

WVPgEPf.jpg

That top looks like a map out of Indiana Jones! And those rings topography contours!

Very nice one!

I’ve posted this before but it’s worth posting it again. I never noticed it until like months after I bought the guitar, because it only appears upside down.

So there’s a goofy Yeti peeing into my F-hole. How often do you get to say that. How often would you want to, for that matter.

There also seems to a bushy stump right where something would normally be and I have no idea what it is supposed to depict. No idea I tell you.

Now I just have to find a Yeti who plays a mean guitar. I can quote him a $100,000 upcharge for the complimentary eroticism.
vbRd4VD.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve posted this before but it’s worth posting it again. I never noticed it until like months after I bought the guitar, because it only appears upside down.

So there’s a goofy Yeti peeing into my F-hole. How often do you get to say that. How often would you want to, for that matter.

There also seems to a bushy stump right where something would normally be and I have no idea what it is supposed to depict. No idea I tell you.

Now I just have to find a Yeti who plays a mean guitar. I can quote him a $100,000 upcharge for the complimentary eroticism.
vbRd4VD.jpg

Haha...reminds me of the monster face on my Cocobolo Santana!!

iQnXMch.jpg

Last one: CU24 30th Anniversary model. I saw it on Jack Gretz’ website and asked how it sounded. Jack sent me a clip that answered the question. I couldn’t get the tone out of my head for days, and figured I’d better get it before some other lucky SOB did.

Yes, it’s cute, but the tone is incredible:

jiO6qTn.jpg

All of my PS guitars sound just that little bit nicer to me. Maybe it’s the nitro, maybe it’s the wood, maybe it’s other stuff, like the touches by the craftspeople, but whatever the answer, they sure scratch that tone itch!

Last edited:
Last one: CU24 30th Anniversary model. I saw it on Jack Gretz’ website and asked how it sounded. Jack sent me a clip that answered the question. I couldn’t get the tone out of my head for days, and figured I’d better get it before some other lucky SOB did.

Yes, it’s cute, but the tone is incredible:

jiO6qTn.jpg

All of my PS guitars sound just that little bit nicer to me. Maybe it’s the nitro, maybe it’s the wood, maybe it’s other stuff, like the touches by the craftspeople, but whatever the answer, they sure scratch that tone itch!

Always love seeing this one Les!
That top always reminds me of a honeycomb.

Dang, there's some stunners posted here. I love the unintended "portraits" in the grain. (Monster Face and Yeti) :D

EQhhip8.jpg

3eQgvjE.jpg

aK80gGP.jpg

E7doLIW.jpg

zJ5x7t0.jpg

WVPgEPf.jpg

"OFF THE HOOK" VISUALIZED. EPIC BUILD.

WHAT PICKUPS?

Back