Private Stock is fading!!!

NGD! Did PRS give any general tips on how to avoid fading?

IMG_2873.jpg
IMG_2874.jpg
Guess who's back and looks even better than the first time she left the factory? Many thanks to Shawn and everyone at PRS, I am forever grateful.

That looks great!

You should take it to the beach for a week to celebrate... :p

IMG_2873.jpg
IMG_2874.jpg
Guess who's back and looks even better than the first time she left the factory? Many thanks to Shawn and everyone at PRS, I am forever grateful.

Damn that was fast!

It definitely looks more awesomer than the original.

Flame tighter? More ‘teal’ in the colors coming through? More symmetrical color pattern?

I wonder what, if anything, they did differently this time to help prevent ‘the future fade’.

Is it not going to just fade again?

... It’s not really much harder to open a guitar case and take the guitar out, than take one off a rack.

Err, yes it is, actually. Especially if you have many guitars. Way more of a hassle to find the case, putz around with it to get the guitar out, put the case aside, versus just grab a guitar off of a stand.

Err, yes it is, actually. Especially if you have many guitars. Way more of a hassle to find the case, putz around with it to get the guitar out, put the case aside, versus just grab a guitar off of a stand.

It’s a matter of tradeoffs and priorities. My priority is having a consistent, nicely set up, clean guitar with 100% good-to-go pots and switches for my work. Yours is not having to open a guitar case. The world is big enough for both of us!

My cases are lined up and organized. If two are alike, I tag them to tell them apart at a glance. I lift the case out of the row of cases, open it and take the guitar out.

That’s not much hassle. The entire process takes less than five seconds.

But this negligible effort has some advantages when it comes to the eternal ‘hassle tradeoff’:

Guitars stay clean, don’t gather dust and goo from the environment (scratchy pots), are humidified/kept at an appropriate 45-50% RH, necks need far less seasonal adjustment or none at all, guitars can’t be bumped, dinged or knocked off a stand.

Because they aren’t constantly reacting to the temperature and humidity changes of being left out in a room 24/7, the instruments are consistently ready to go for a session. That’s huge for me!

It’s nice that they don’t fade. It’s helpful that pots don’t get scratchy. I don’t have to dust them. They need less polishing and cleaning. Those are perks!

So over the years, I’ve spent far less time and hassle maintaining them by casing them, instead of leaving them out, as I once did. I’ve saved time and money on quarterly setups.

On balance, that’s a good ‘hassle tradeoff’. Pick your poison, you know?

Then, too (this is merely personal taste) I dislike the retail-store look of a wall of hanging guitars, or the unmanageable clutter/dancing around a bunch of guitars on tippy stands, or having to move a bunch of stands to vacuum.

Granted, the look of a row of cases lined up isn’t all that great, but I keep them in a convenient spot where I don’t have to look at them. I can move the whole shebang out of the way easily enough.

I get that sentiment. We all make our own choices.

For me, the pulling out a case, opening it, gazing lovingly at what is inside, picking it up, tuning it is all part of the zen of guitar to me. It’s my version of a Japanese Tea ceremony.

My guitar/media room is on the small side, so having a bunch of cases around doesn’t work. With our current roof replacement, I’ve cased all of them which has been a real pain for me. Herniated disc doesn’t help...

Normally I hang mine on the wall (beautiful art to me!), but I rotate among them daily so dust accumulation isn’t much. I have a blackout blind on the window and have had zero fading on my blue guitars, including my Aquamarine PS which can be quite prone to fading (I base this on looking at used ones). EDIT - I’ve had this guitar for nearly 4 years now.

image.jpg

Recently added a whole house humidifier so our humidity levels are quite stable. I use acoustic remedy display cases for my two acoustics though.

Now, if I had the space and professional home studio setup Les has, well, I’d still be tempted to hang them on the wall. Maybe a nice built in display case like Mr. 11Top. Oh yeah, that’s the ticket!

Is it not going to just fade again?

Very true words. I have 42 guitars, 11 of them being PRS. Digging guitars out of cases for me is a bigger process than one might think.

Very true words. I have 42 guitars, 11 of them being PRS. Digging guitars out of cases for me is a bigger process than one might think.

I'm a very compassionate person. I tear up when I see the SPCA commercials, the children's hospital commercials, etc.

I'm a bit confused as to why I feel no sorrow or compassion in my heart for you guys who have so many guitars that getting one out of a case is a problem for you. Maybe I'm just getting jaded with old age. Yeah, that must be it.
My goodness ... What will become of my reputation as a nice guy if this type behavior continues?:(

After 12 weeks of roof repair and construction, finally got my guitars where I prefer, on the wall.

No fading detected on my Aquamarine :) Now joined by my new build! (P&S camera w/ flash).

EACB5656-_B9_BD-4178-91_E5-4_C9_F37960_D62.jpg

F05_DB82_A-1_CCA-4_D9_F-87_CE-_B9_C82_C231_B39.jpg

And yes, the FBJ ME I was like that when I got it last fall ;)
That’s a line of beauties there. I’ll never get tired of seeing that awesome Pernie aquamarine!

For me, the pulling out a case, opening it, gazing lovingly at what is inside, picking it up, tuning it is all part of the zen of guitar to me. It’s my version of a Japanese Tea ceremony.
Oh man, so that’s what its been all this time! Now I know what to call it. A new term has been coined today!

It’s a matter of tradeoffs and priorities. My priority is having a consistent, nicely set up, clean guitar with 100% good-to-go pots and switches for my work. Yours is not having to open a guitar case. The world is big enough for both of us!

My cases are lined up and organized. If two are alike, I tag them to tell them apart at a glance. I lift the case out of the row of cases, open it and take the guitar out.

That’s not much hassle. The entire process takes less than five seconds.

But this negligible effort has some advantages when it comes to the eternal ‘hassle tradeoff’:

Guitars stay clean, don’t gather dust and goo from the environment (scratchy pots), are humidified/kept at an appropriate 45-50% RH, necks need far less seasonal adjustment or none at all, guitars can’t be bumped, dinged or knocked off a stand.

Because they aren’t constantly reacting to the temperature and humidity changes of being left out in a room 24/7, the instruments are consistently ready to go for a session. That’s huge for me!

It’s nice that they don’t fade. It’s helpful that pots don’t get scratchy. I don’t have to dust them. They need less polishing and cleaning. Those are perks!

So over the years, I’ve spent far less time and hassle maintaining them by casing them, instead of leaving them out, as I once did. I’ve saved time and money on quarterly setups.

On balance, that’s a good ‘hassle tradeoff’. Pick your poison, you know?

Then, too (this is merely personal taste) I dislike the retail-store look of a wall of hanging guitars, or the unmanageable clutter/dancing around a bunch of guitars on tippy stands, or having to move a bunch of stands to vacuum.

Granted, the look of a row of cases lined up isn’t all that great, but I keep them in a convenient spot where I don’t have to look at them. I can move the whole shebang out of the way easily enough.
I also love the ease of controlling the humidity in a small confined space, and also the space economy of stacking cases together.

After 12 weeks of roof repair and construction, finally got my guitars where I prefer, on the wall.

No fading detected on my Aquamarine :) Now joined by my new build! (P&S camera w/ flash).

And yes, the FBJ ME I was like that when I got it last fall ;)

I see you prefer 22 fret guitars...

Back