Private Stock is fading!!!

Yeah, I haven't had any trouble with the finish on my Wood Library 509 fading, and I gig the heck out of it all the time!

Exactly. I’ve never had a finish fade on a PRS in 28 years. It’s not really much harder to open a guitar case and take the guitar out, than take one off a rack.

It has to be the formula used for the stain. My Dark Cherry red McCarty is now 14yrs old and has not seen it's case except to get here from Texas. It shows no real apparent fading neither in person or in former pictures. I keep it in a room that has western afternoon sun, with curtains and shades, but still it seems a very intricate stain on that northern lights.

I had a "cerise" PS for a couple of years, same thing happened - faded to a pink gold color. I actually liked the effect, but that is not the point. Sounds like they don't warranty fading, and now we know why. I can see why you are bummed, the color, while beautiful in its own right, is very different from what you bought. To be fair, fading is really common, and I have had numerous guitars with that issue, although, admittedly, the PRS is the only one that faded so quickly. But I have had white guitars turn "cream" or yellowish (LP customs are famous for this - looks great actually), a pelham blue nitro that has a greenish-yellow tint now (I love it), and some others just get dull. If PRS can't help you, I would just get philosophical and enjoy the new color, or sell it if it really continues to bum you out. I sold my cerise (which was a little like bonnie pink, but more complex), but not because of that. In fact, not because of anything. Wish I still had it.

Last edited:
Do all the blue tints fade typically, or is it just hit and miss?
I wonder how much a refinish every few years would run... I plan on protecting it, but
I'm also planning on playing it anywhere and everywhere when the urge hits.

As much as it's a museum grade piece, I want to use the heck out of every guitar I own. LoL!!!

We do keep the blinds closed and have curtains in the rooms where I keep the guitars on a rack that I play the most. There's always the large guitar closet upstairs in a case. LoL!

Here are 2 86 Royal Blue Custom 24s. They've both faded a bit but certainly at a different rate. I have a sample size of 2 so I'm not sure if they all fade.

gC0S3qah.jpg

T3emJZbh.jpg

I'm not sure it's fair to say that all blue finishes fade.
I have a 2008 CU24 in blue, dark blue, (I think it is whale blue but i'm not in the same county as the guitar currently so can't check) - but this guitar has been played, gigged, dinged, bashed, left on a stand, hung on the wall for months.....and not even a slight fade. I even stood it on it's stand in direct sunlight a couple of years ago to deliberately try and lighten the colour, after reading a thread on here about it. Nothing.

However, and conversely, I have a 2014 CU24 in Aquableux, it is my baby, i've never gigged it, in fact i've never played it outside of the house. It lives in its case safely tucked away when not in use, and its faded. It's turning greyer and greyer all the time. It started as a gorgeous blue with a river of green running through it, then the blue faded and it was more prominent green, now, it is turning grey, not unlike its owner. I'll keep it, because I love it, but I wholeheartedly wish it hadn't turned grey.....like me. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure it's fair to say that all blue finishes fade.
I have a 2008 CU24 in blue, dark blue, (I think it is whale blue but i'm not in the same county as the guitar currently so can't check) - but this guitar has been played, gigged, dinged, bashed, left on a stand, hung on the wall for months.....and not even a slight fade. I even stood it on it's stand in direct sunlight a couple of years ago to deliberately try and lighten the colour, after reading a thread on here about it. Nothing.

However, and conversely, I have a 2014 CU24 in Aquableux, it is my baby, i've never gigged it, in fact i've never played it outside of the house. It lives in its case safely tucked away when not in use, and its faded. It's turning greyer and greyer all the time. It started as a gorgeous blue with a river of green running through it, then the blue faded and it was more prominent green, now, it is turning grey, not unlike its owner. I'll keep it, because I love it, but I wholeheartedly wish it hadn't turned grey.....like me. :rolleyes:

Dave, I’m sorry to do this to you, but photos otherwise it’s a Sky-blue-pink Charvel! ;)

Dave, I’m sorry to do this to you, but photos otherwise it’s a Sky-blue-pink Charvel! ;)

Made me actually laugh out loud, I love my sky blue pink Charvel.

I'll see what photos I can get together over the next couple of days. I'm not near the dark blue CU24, but I guess we don't need photos of it 'not' fading.

This thread is super helpful. I'm daydreaming about what I'll be buying come around February. I thought that I had settled on a Whale Blue S2 Custom 24. Now I'm not so sure. Yes I keep my guitars in cases, but I hate the idea of even thinking of living in fear of fade or something.

Back