Private Stock is fading!!!

Did someone say ukulele? :D

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
I'm glad to see you have extras in case someone forgets theirs. (George Harrison used to carry an extra one).

So is a finish getting hammered by a morning sunrise a valid warranty claim? I know PRS is a stand up company but that seems a stretch.

So is a finish getting hammered by a morning sunrise a valid warranty claim? I know PRS is a stand up company but that seems a stretch.
For me, whether it is or is not covered under warranty is really up to the details that PRS and the owner worked out. Maybe the owner is paying for it, maybe they are refinished it for free, maybe there’s a partial, etc.

The fact that they are willing to listen and help make it right in a way the owner agrees to (as evidence in the fact that the fixed version is in PS Friday) is enough to continue to remind me that PRS is a quality company that I enjoy being s customer of.

You can keep it from fading. The sure thing is to case it when it isn’t in use. If that doesn’t appeal to you, hang it where the sunlight can’t hit it any time of day or year - the angle of my sun changes a lot between June and December.
I sure hope this isn't going to fade after it arrives Tuesday.... aCk!!! o_O:eek::confused::D:cool:

38244410_10212410979373575_7077628713898082304_o.jpg

Do all the blue tints fade typically, or is it just hit and miss?
I wonder how much a refinish every few years would run... I plan on protecting it, but
I'm also planning on playing it anywhere and everywhere when the urge hits.

As much as it's a museum grade piece, I want to use the heck out of every guitar I own. LoL!!!

We do keep the blinds closed and have curtains in the rooms where I keep the guitars on a rack that I play the most. There's always the large guitar closet upstairs in a case. LoL!

At 19:37 of this video, Bernie Marsden shows how his genuine 59 les Paul was once cherry red. It’s not stated exactly how long it took the guitar to fade, but it appears nothing much but opaque colors is immune. Blue just seems to be extra vulnerable.

Do all the blue tints fade typically, or is it just hit and miss?
I wonder how much a refinish every few years would run... I plan on protecting it, but
I'm also planning on playing it anywhere and everywhere when the urge hits.

As much as it's a museum grade piece, I want to use the heck out of every guitar I own. LoL!!!

We do keep the blinds closed and have curtains in the rooms where I keep the guitars on a rack that I play the most. There's always the large guitar closet upstairs in a case. LoL!
I think all the blues are prone to fading in sunlight. I don’t worry about being in the sun when I play it - I just play when I want to.

Cool... so I guess shorter term, if you keep it protected when you're not using it, it should take a good many years to fade...

Someone needs to invent finish safe sunscreen for guitars... LoL!

Cool... so I guess shorter term, if you keep it protected when you're not using it, it should take a good many years to fade...

Someone needs to invent finish safe sunscreen for guitars... LoL!
My 2009 hasn’t got any noticeable fading. It’s been in a wall case behind glass for about five years - on a wall the sun can’t reach.

A sweat shirt makes a good sun screen.

Last edited:
My 2009 hasn’t got any noticeable fading. It’s been in a wall case behind glass for about five years - on a wall the sun can’t reach.

A sweat shirt makes a good sun screen.
I have all my guitars on hangers with several blue ones. No fading, including my aquamarine PS. I have a blackout blind on the window so no direct sunlight hits the guitars. LED lights on dimmer as my guitar room doubles as our media room.

Back