Private Stock is fading!!!

I've left my Blue Matteo out hanging in my bedroom, out of direct sunlight, but it does get indirect light and of course room lighting (CFL and now LED) without any fade. I bought my Whale Blue Artist P22 used, and it has somewhat of a fade to it, because it isn't anywhere close to the Whale Blue P22 I used to have. Not sure if it is a fade, or a "faded" whale blue from the factory...

no fade Matteo Blue

41003264774_e7a0c01e97_b.jpg

Somewhat faded Whale Blue

40821678835_29854db47a_b.jpg

Unfaded Whale Blue

15968960772_4a655ab6f1_b.jpg
Mighty fine collection of blue color awesomeness!

I think having instruments in the house is a good idea. I was forced by my parents to play piano and violin so my memories aren’t so awesome, lol.

It is a fine balance between forcing and encouraging. I hope by having the instruments out that it will feed their curiosity. Certainly want to avoid the 'you can't touch that' attitude

It is a fine balance between forcing and encouraging. I hope by having the instruments out that it will feed their curiosity. Certainly want to avoid the 'you can't touch that' attitude

When I realized how much my young kids loved touching my guitars (playing with the switches, tuning pegs, strumming in the stand, etc.) I decided to buy a $100 used Ibanez from GC - chose a sparkly black model, that was an instant draw for the kids. I never played it, but it's the one they always went for (which was the plan.)

We just left things where they were available. They were more likely to play my bells, kalimba, basically any little thing than a guitar. Both would bang away on a keyboard when they got a bit bigger, say 3-5. We let them take lessons when they wanted to - but once they signed up they had to go or they wouldn’t get signed up for the next batch. Both took a guitar with them when they went away to school and still have one.

To the OP, that's great news they're refinishing it for you!

But man... if I were you, I'd maybe ask them to have some super coat of something on top of that... the original finish looked amazing.

Well, good resolution all around: PRS will refinish the guitar for you under warranty, and now you understand the lighting in your studio better!

Looking forward to seeing the restored finish!

Well today was the day to take my guitar over to the factory for her refin. I woke up early and came down into the studio around sunrise and stood there in shock and horror. The empty space in the guitar rack when me beloved NL/PS had been was being absolutely hammered by the morning sunrise! I have always treated my guitars with TLC and here I was speechless in the realization of what had happen. I don't have any children but this must be what it feels like to be a failing parent. Needless to say the studio will be rearranged now. I headed over to the shore and luckily it was a beautiful day and traffic was great, no backups on the bridge. I always get an exciting feeling when I start to get close to the factory, just knowing the minds and the artistry at work and that goes into these guitars we all adore is such a positive feeling. I was so excited at this point I rolled in pretty quick to the crowded visitor parking lot aiming at the only free space. As I got closer and was about to park I noticed "PAUL" painted on the ground in front of the space. Haha how embarrassing would that have been, stealing THE MAN himself's space. Anyway I dropped off my guitar in the lobby and then wandered into the accessory shop where I had a great chat with Dave for about an hour and bough a couple new shirts. The accessory shop has some amazing guitars in glass showcases displaying some of Paul's earliest guitars as well as some of their finest accomplishments in the craft. I managed to take a couple photos while I was there to share with those on the forum who have never been to the factory being as I live so close. Please excuse the poor lighting and glare. Cheers.
IMG_2467.jpg
IMG_2466.jpg
IMG_2468.jpg
IMG_2469.jpg
IMG_2470.jpg
IMG_2471.jpg

Honest question. It seems that a warranty repair was agreed to on the grounds that your guitar faded inappropriately despite the absence of exposure to sunlight. Now that you realize that the fading was likely the result of repeated and fairly prolonged exposure to direct sunlight, will you be required to pay for the guitar repair?

I wouldn't think in other cases that human error, however inadvertent, would typically be covered under warranty, especially as it pertains to the guitar finish fading.

Just curious.

Kevin

Honest question. It seems that a warranty repair was agreed to on the grounds that your guitar faded inappropriately despite the absence of exposure to sunlight. Now that you realize that the fading was likely the result of repeated and fairly prolonged exposure to direct sunlight, will you be required to pay for the guitar repair?

I wouldn't think in other cases that human error, however inadvertent, would typically be covered under warranty, especially as it pertains to the guitar finish fading.

Just curious.

Kevin
Nothing has been discussed at this point but I am prepared to accept that responsibility should it be presented as such.

When I realized how much my young kids loved touching my guitars (playing with the switches, tuning pegs, strumming in the stand, etc.) I decided to buy a $100 used Ibanez from GC - chose a sparkly black model, that was an instant draw for the kids. I never played it, but it's the one they always went for (which was the plan.)
I do have a cheap Yamaha that I'd quite happy leave out for my kids, maybe when they're a bit older and can sit with a guitar properly. At the moment they just want to flip the switches whilst I hold it and hit the strings

Back