Private Stock is fading!!!

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by windsongstudios, Jul 19, 2018.

1. WA Paul

WA Paul It’s ok...I’m with Manny dog

Mighty fine collection of blue color awesomeness!

parallyze likes this.
  2. Tone-y

Tone-y New Member

It is a fine balance between forcing and encouraging. I hope by having the instruments out that it will feed their curiosity. Certainly want to avoid the 'you can't touch that' attitude

Alnus Rubra, Casi1 and WA Paul like this.
  3. WA Paul

Did someone say ukulele? :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sekunda, JJJ, Alnus Rubra and 7 others like this.
  4. Dirty_Boogie

Dirty_Boogie Still got the ol' tagger on it

When I realized how much my young kids loved touching my guitars (playing with the switches, tuning pegs, strumming in the stand, etc.) I decided to buy a $100 used Ibanez from GC - chose a sparkly black model, that was an instant draw for the kids. I never played it, but it's the one they always went for (which was the plan.)

5. Solteroblues

Solteroblues New Member

Thank you very much! I wish I still had my original P22... along with the other 10 or so blue PRSi that I've owned over the years! LOL

Alnus Rubra, dogrocketp and WA Paul like this.
  6. veinbuster

veinbuster Freeze zone

We just left things where they were available. They were more likely to play my bells, kalimba, basically any little thing than a guitar. Both would bang away on a keyboard when they got a bit bigger, say 3-5. We let them take lessons when they wanted to - but once they signed up they had to go or they wouldn’t get signed up for the next batch. Both took a guitar with them when they went away to school and still have one.

7. leokula

leokula New Member

To the OP, that's great news they're refinishing it for you!

But man... if I were you, I'd maybe ask them to have some super coat of something on top of that... the original finish looked amazing.

8. shinksma

shinksma What? I get a title?

Well, good resolution all around: PRS will refinish the guitar for you under warranty, and now you understand the lighting in your studio better!

Looking forward to seeing the restored finish!

9. windsongstudios

windsongstudios New Member

Well today was the day to take my guitar over to the factory for her refin. I woke up early and came down into the studio around sunrise and stood there in shock and horror. The empty space in the guitar rack when me beloved NL/PS had been was being absolutely hammered by the morning sunrise! I have always treated my guitars with TLC and here I was speechless in the realization of what had happen. I don't have any children but this must be what it feels like to be a failing parent. Needless to say the studio will be rearranged now. I headed over to the shore and luckily it was a beautiful day and traffic was great, no backups on the bridge. I always get an exciting feeling when I start to get close to the factory, just knowing the minds and the artistry at work and that goes into these guitars we all adore is such a positive feeling. I was so excited at this point I rolled in pretty quick to the crowded visitor parking lot aiming at the only free space. As I got closer and was about to park I noticed "PAUL" painted on the ground in front of the space. Haha how embarrassing would that have been, stealing THE MAN himself's space. Anyway I dropped off my guitar in the lobby and then wandered into the accessory shop where I had a great chat with Dave for about an hour and bough a couple new shirts. The accessory shop has some amazing guitars in glass showcases displaying some of Paul's earliest guitars as well as some of their finest accomplishments in the craft. I managed to take a couple photos while I was there to share with those on the forum who have never been to the factory being as I live so close. Please excuse the poor lighting and glare. Cheers.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. kes7u

kes7u Wife's husband and Dog's dad

Honest question. It seems that a warranty repair was agreed to on the grounds that your guitar faded inappropriately despite the absence of exposure to sunlight. Now that you realize that the fading was likely the result of repeated and fairly prolonged exposure to direct sunlight, will you be required to pay for the guitar repair?

I wouldn't think in other cases that human error, however inadvertent, would typically be covered under warranty, especially as it pertains to the guitar finish fading.

Just curious.

Kevin

11. windsongstudios

windsongstudios New Member

Nothing has been discussed at this point but I am prepared to accept that responsibility should it be presented as such.

Alnus Rubra, grausch, bodia and 4 others like this.
  12. Tone-y

Tone-y New Member

I do have a cheap Yamaha that I'd quite happy leave out for my kids, maybe when they're a bit older and can sit with a guitar properly. At the moment they just want to flip the switches whilst I hold it and hit the strings

Dirty_Boogie likes this.
  13. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I got my son a CU22 Soapbar when he was 14. And he grew up and became a Fender player, because people like what they like. I still think there’s hope, however.

[​IMG]

14. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Not dissin’ ya brother, but only a person without children could possibly make that statement. ;)

strat63, Alnus Rubra, WA Paul and 2 others like this.
  15. shallbe

shallbe New Member

Glad you are getting a refin from the PTC. That guitar is a beauty! I don't believe in guitars being in cases unless they are being transported somewhere. All mine are out and stay out for inspiration and easy access. YMMV.

16. Tonart

Tonart Tone of the Art......or is that backwards?

I wouldn’t be surprised if I found PS numbers behind their headstocks, dear Mr Koa!

WA Paul likes this.
  17. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Understatement of the decade!

dogrocketp likes this.
  18. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Man, I'm making my first trip to the factory, for a tour, in October. I hope they don't take offense to random hugs!

19. alantig

alantig SSBMA

Nope - it's his dad.

20. WA Paul

Ha!

No PS numbers, but David Gomes numbers in the sound holes.

If you are on the Big Island, go up to Hawi to meet him. Great guy, been building for 40 years.

Alnus Rubra and Tonart like this.