Private Stock is fading!!!

:D I would've bet they'd fix it. PRS is a stand up company. In fact this is a good example for those thinking about buying a PRS, that they will be making the right choice of companies to do business with. Kudos to Shawn and PTC for taking care of this appropriately.

Last edited:
UPDATE!!! I just received an email from Shawn @PRS. They will refinish it for me! What a wonderful company!!! The process will take roughly 16 weeks (which I don't mind at all) and I'm confident that they will be able to bring it back to its original NL glory. On a side note one thing I had not thought of was if the sunrise could have anything to do with what happened. I am normally not in the studio that early in the morning so I don't know what angle if any the sun coming up could play into all this. Being that I am driving over to the factory tomorrow I am going to be up early to investigate. I will post any new details once I do. Again what a great customer experience from such a generous brand, many thanks to Shawn and the PRS team.

All hail PRS!

My point was that it didn’t seem that Paul was a fan of the notion that you can’t play your PRS everyday because you don’t want the color fading because you would need it out of its case for practice, gigs, and in between time.
It’s easy to understand all this.

The brilliant bright radical colors are exactly a big selling point for PRS. Everyone knows that. Paul has said many times that something like 80% of information is taken in through the eyes; that’s exactly why the guitars are intentionally made to look good. If you bought something in a large part for the looks, of course you would not want the looks to fade. Surely we can see the fundamental quandary/paradox here.

Why do so many people regard PS guitars as art? It’s only because PRS have placed so many intricate appointment options onto them, figured wood/colors/purfling/special inlays etc, that they indeed look like art. It’s not an accident - it’s an intentional selling point. PRS themselves do market them as heirlooms and art.

So a quandary again - if something is marketed and bought as visual art, of course there will be people who don’t want ding them and want to keep it pristine. You can’t separate the two phenomena. I’d be surprised if someone buys a genuine Mona Lisa painting and then freely allows it to get defaced. It’s quite understandable.

So I totally emphathise with the Op and I am glad he has found the fix with PRS.

The PTC though is amazing. No other major guitar manufacturer has an equivalent. It does allow people to play their $10k PS with more comfort knowing that dings can be fixed in a jiffy. Gibson and Fender get round the problem by dinging the guitar themselves first.:D

Great news! I’m glad for you. I didn’t want to say anything before, to get your hopes high but a year or so ago I noticed my 2000 Cust24 developed a milky haze under the finish and only in areas of the maple top. I keep my guitars cased when not in use, I have no idea why this happened. I called PRS and emailed them photos I was looking for an estimate on refinishing and they said they would take care of it since I was the original owner of the guitar. They completely refinished my guitar. Yes, what an AWESOME company. :)

my 2000 Cust24 developed a milky haze under the finish and only in areas of the maple top. I keep my guitars cased when not in use
This is the one issue that scares the heck out of me. It has already happened on my 2 of my PRS private stocks, and I’ve seen many similar testimonies. I can only hope it occurs to outliers and is not a systemic issue.

It’s easy to understand all this.

The brilliant bright radical colors are exactly a big selling point for PRS. Everyone knows that. Paul has said many times that something like 80% of information is taken in through the eyes; that’s exactly why the guitars are intentionally made to look good. If you bought something in a large part for the looks, of course you would not want the looks to fade. Surely we can see the fundamental quandary/paradox here.

Why do so many people regard PS guitars as art? It’s only because PRS have placed so many intricate appointment options onto them, figured wood/colors/purfling/special inlays etc, that they indeed look like art. It’s not an accident - it’s an intentional selling point. PRS themselves do market them as heirlooms and art.

So a quandary again - if something is marketed and bought as visual art, of course there will be people who don’t want ding them and want to keep it pristine. You can’t separate the two phenomena. I’d be surprised if someone buys a genuine Mona Lisa painting and then freely allows it to get defaced. It’s quite understandable.

So I totally emphathise with the Op and I am glad he has found the fix with PRS.

I totally get it but I struggle to find a better example of ‘the work of art AND working tool’ combo than a PRS guitar. I think its a personal decision about whether a guitar is more of a work of art than it is a tool or vice versa. Everyone does what they are comfortable with for their guitar. There is no right or wrong. The Mona Lisa is a work of art and although having it on display may damage it over time, they still risk that because sharing it’s beauty is of greater value... to them. It’s the same with the Sistine Chapel. I have taken in-person photos of both the Mona Lisa and the Sistine Chapel and both times I was worried about damaging the original art just by engaging the flash at the art. But the owners have still chosen to keep the art on display for themselves and others to enjoy.

It’s a personal decision. The risks are for the individual owners to weigh. I’d be 100% upset if my PS faded to pink purple (especially within 2 years) but at the same time, I know that I want to play my guitar more often when I can see it. I’m playing my Fender more often these days, you know why? Cause it happens to be in my bed at the moment, not worrying about being scratched or fading in the light. At this very moment, every last one of my PRS guitars happen to be in their cases, lol.

I’m glad that the good folks in MD are going to take care of this lil sitcheeachin. I knew they would. I wonder if the refin will include something to prevent this from reoccurring... especially if the color will be NL again.

I totally get it but I struggle to find a better example of ‘the work of art AND working tool’ combo than a PRS guitar. I think its a personal decision about whether a guitar is more of a work of art than it is a tool or vice versa. Everyone does what they are comfortable with for their guitar. There is no right or wrong. The Mona Lisa is a work of art and although having it on display may damage it over time, they still risk that because sharing it’s beauty is of greater value... to them. It’s the same with the Sistine Chapel. I have taken in-person photos of both the Mona Lisa and the Sistine Chapel and both times I was worried about damaging the original art just by engaging the flash at the art. But the owners have still chosen to keep the art on display for themselves and others to enjoy.

It’s a personal decision. The risks are for the individual owners to weigh. I’d be 100% upset if my PS faded to pink purple (especially within 2 years) but at the same time, I know that I want to play my guitar more often when I can see it. I’m playing my Fender more often these days, you know why? Cause it happens to be in my bed at the moment, not worrying about being scratched or fading in the light. At this very moment, every last one of my PRS guitars happen to be in their cases, lol.

I’m glad that the good folks in MD are going to take care of this lil sitcheeachin. I knew they would. I wonder if the refin will include something to prevent this from reoccurring... especially if the color will be NL again.
Well said!

I’m playing my Fender more often these days, you know why? Cause it happens to be in my bed at the moment, not worrying about being scratched or fading in the light. At this very moment, every last one of my PRS guitars happen to be in their cases, lol.
That's why I let my young kids look at and "play" my Strat, not my PRS

And maybe they will grow up and play Strats, lol, and not PRSi. Who knows.

I don’t let kids look at and play any of my guitars. Not the works of art and not the working tools. They can go play a ukulele somewhere.

Honestly, as long as they take an interest in a musical instrument I'll be happy. And my eldest is only 3 so I have plenty of time yet to educate them as to what gear they'd need.

I only let my kids look at and play them, not just any old random child. And they're not left out all the time for them - I'm not that silly. But there's normally one left out in the morning that they can see when they come down for breakfast. Then the case gets closed and it gets put away! But on the rare occasions that I get a guitar out when they're around, I'm quite happy for them to come over and have a go at strumming and flipping the switches. I don't want there to be any mystery or barrier for them, and just how much harm can they do to a Strat anyway :)

Honestly, as long as they take an interest in a musical instrument I'll be happy. And my eldest is only 3 so I have plenty of time yet to educate them as to what gear they'd need.

I only let my kids look at and play them, not just any old random child. And they're not left out all the time for them - I'm not that silly. But there's normally one left out in the morning that they can see when they come down for breakfast. Then the case gets closed and it gets put away! But on the rare occasions that I get a guitar out when they're around, I'm quite happy for them to come over and have a go at strumming and flipping the switches. I don't want there to be any mystery or barrier for them, and just how much harm can they do to a Strat anyway :)

That’s good. For me, I will play what I see. My PRS doesn’t need to be kept pristine but I still don’t want it changing colors on me so it’s a balance.

I think having instruments in the house is a good idea. I was forced by my parents to play piano and violin so my memories aren’t so awesome, lol.

UPDATE!!! I just received an email from Shawn @PRS. They will refinish it for me! What a wonderful company!!! The process will take roughly 16 weeks (which I don't mind at all) and I'm confident that they will be able to bring it back to its original NL glory. On a side note one thing I had not thought of was if the sunrise could have anything to do with what happened. I am normally not in the studio that early in the morning so I don't know what angle if any the sun coming up could play into all this. Being that I am driving over to the factory tomorrow I am going to be up early to investigate. I will post any new details once I do. Again what a great customer experience from such a generous brand, many thanks to Shawn and the PRS team.

Glad to hear it!

This is the one issue that scares the heck out of me. It has already happened on my 2 of my PRS private stocks, and I’ve seen many similar testimonies. I can only hope it occurs to outliers and is not a systemic issue.

I've seen a few examples where the hazing issues were covered under warranty. I had some spots on my HBII, but since it had also accumulated over a decade of wear and tear by that point, they offered to refin at half price.

On a side note I have my eye on a Dirty 100 right now, gonna need something to fill the void right? ;)

Technically that adheres to the one in one out rule...

And maybe they will grow up and play Strats, lol, and not PRSi. Who knows.

I don’t let kids look at and play any of my guitars. Not the works of art and not the working tools. They can go play a ukulele somewhere.

I’d hide a bloody murder weapon for my son, but so help me god if he brings a Fender into my house... o_O:p

I let my 1 yr old touch all my guitars, hell, his guitar is nicer than most people’s here.

I've left my Blue Matteo out hanging in my bedroom, out of direct sunlight, but it does get indirect light and of course room lighting (CFL and now LED) without any fade. I bought my Whale Blue Artist P22 used, and it has somewhat of a fade to it, because it isn't anywhere close to the Whale Blue P22 I used to have. Not sure if it is a fade, or a "faded" whale blue from the factory...

no fade Matteo Blue

41003264774_e7a0c01e97_b.jpg

Somewhat faded Whale Blue

40821678835_29854db47a_b.jpg

Unfaded Whale Blue

15968960772_4a655ab6f1_b.jpg

I let my 1 yr old touch all my guitars, hell, his guitar is nicer than most people’s here.
I let my kids touch all my instruments, but some of them lived in cases when I wasn’t there to see what might be going on. It did cost me one snapped headstock. Not a bad excuse to upgrade.

Back