Private Stock is fading!!!

If the recommendation is to keep it in the case to prevent blue from going pink within 2 years, well, I don’t know if PRSh would agree with that... I heard him go off on a guy who was keeping his nice PRS guitar in a case, lol.

I know you’re being tongue-in-cheek here, as I’m guessing Paul was referring to guitars being saved in their cases and not being played.

I’ve never been to Paul’s studio - maybe someone else here has - but it’s been in quite a few videos, including a tour of the place for an online mag. There have been shots of a row or two of guitar cases over to one side. There’s a table full of pedals. There’s a ton of juicy (and rare) equipment, including a modded tape machine used as a front end for converters, a console, old reverb tanks and plates...cool stuff.

However, I don’t remember seeing guitars hanging on the walls in any of the shots. Paul seems to keep his in a case when not in use.

Either that, or he keeps empty cases in his studio for some reason?

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. - I have found the finish on my Taylor has yellowed over the years (which actually looks nice just more amber and darker than when it was new.)- and it's always in the case when not being played. ...Of course it's a 1995 so quite a bit older. I've also seen a number of used PRS custom 24's from the 90's and 2000's that look much darker than the new guitars and a ton of pics of old strats where you can't tell what color it's supposed to be until you pull up the pick guard.

I guess my point (or question) is, is the blue stain actually fading or is the clear coat yellowing. I would have expected the latter but then again, I would expect to see the blue look more green than red if it's just the clear coat yellowing.???

I know you’re being tongue-in-cheek here, as I’m guessing Paul was referring to guitars being saved in their cases and not being played.

I’ve never been to Paul’s studio - maybe someone else here has - but it’s been in quite a few videos, including a tour of the place for an online mag. There have been shots of a row or two of guitar cases over to one side. There’s a table full of pedals. There’s a ton of juicy (and rare) equipment, including a modded tape machine used as a front end for converters, a console, old reverb tanks and plates...cool stuff.

However, I don’t remember seeing guitars hanging on the walls in any of the shots. Paul seems to keep his in a case when not in use.

Either that, or he keeps empty cases in his studio for some reason?

Was the OPs Private Stock guitar hanging on a wall? If so, I missed that.

In the situation that I referring to, the guy had one PRS and a Fender... he said he played the Fender everyday, took it to practice, played it in gigs, noodled on it in the bedroom, etc. He didn’t play the PRS everyday or take it to daily gigs because it was too pretty and he wanted to keep it pretty.

My point was that it didn’t seem that Paul was a fan of the notion that you can’t play your PRS everyday because you don’t want the color fading because you would need it out of its case for practice, gigs, and in between time.

I suppose it would be altogether different if the guy had multiple PRS guitars to switch between... but he had only one.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. - I have found the finish on my Taylor has yellowed over the years (which actually looks nice just more amber and darker than when it was new.)- and it's always in the case when not being played. ...Of course it's a 1995 so quite a bit older. I've also seen a number of used PRS custom 24's from the 90's and 2000's that look much darker than the new guitars and a ton of pics of old strats where you can't tell what color it's supposed to be until you pull up the pick guard.

I guess my point (or question) is, is the blue stain actually fading or is the clear coat yellowing. I would have expected the latter but then again, I would expect to see the blue look more green than red if it's just the clear coat yellowing.???
The OP showed a photo with the bridge removed, and the finish under the bridge is like-new - so the fading occurred due to exposure to something like light, not just "aging".

Natural colored woods yellowing due to the varnish/finish is very normal - the finish itself is probably yellowing a bit, especially if it is a nitro-based finish.

Was the OPs Private Stock guitar hanging on a wall? If so, I missed that.
Yeah, at least not in the case. The OP stated:

I keep it out, it sees hardly any light other than dim studio lighting. I also have a purple 1995 CE24 and a 2007 Whale Blue McCarty and neither have reacted this way.

OP, I am not familiar with the LED-based lighting you say you are using. Even if "dim", I wonder if it puts out a lot of UV - more than typical incandescent lighting.

Anyone have a UV meter and that Philips HUE lighting?

EDIT:

I found this website, where people report they can make their HUE lamps act as blacklights, which means they are capable of pumping out UV.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Hue/comments/4zkko9/i_was_messing_with_my_lights_and_found_this_shade/

I don't know how commonly it actually happens, but I'd say nine times out of ten when someone talks about finish fading, it's due to the blue component. It seems like blue is generally okay, but there's a wild card aspect, as if it is occasionally programmed to self-destruct.

I would love for PRS to prove me wrong and refinish your guitar, but don't get your hopes too high. They are under no obligation to do you any favors.

The last guitar I bought had a disclaimer in the little booklet that came with it about finish fading. The last frozen pizza I cooked came with a disclaimer telling you to "cook before eating"...

I figure if they go through the trouble to to warn you about it on the packaging, it's actually happened enough times that they're not gonna help you if you chip a tooth. I'd love to be surprised though, I quite enjoy being proven wrong.

I’m gonna check my McCarty when I get home. The color is supposedly Armando’s Amethyst but has pink and blue streaks mixed in with the purple. On the same day a few months ago, I photographed it and it looked totally normal (purple pink blue streaks) with no flash and the exact same shade of consistent pink/purple as in the OPs photo with flash. It was weird but I didn’t think anything of it. Hmmm.

Of all of my guitars, it would be the only one that I’d be worried about with regard to ‘the fade’....

Just wanted to clarify a few things in response to some of the questions from my op. My guitars are racked in my home studio, away from windows and doors. I have all of the PRS guitars together and the other guitars have not show any pigment change. Some of those finishes include "Zombie Fade", "Faded Charcoal" "Faded Blue Jean", "Whale Blue" etc. The reason I am stating those stains is because they seem to be lighter applied then say my other guitars such as "Yellow Tiger", "McCarty Smokeburst", "Tobacco Burst" etc. I don't know much about the HUE/UV amount and yes maybe that has something to do with it. By no means am I complaining or angry with PRS, I have played them since 96 and they are my favorite guitars and if I am offered the option for a refin I will most likely not do a NL again which is a bummer because the original finish on mine was one of the best examples I've ever seen. I know it is on me but I just don't feel like I should have to case my guitars, they are out so I can play them freely. After hearing a lot of the responses to my OP I must admit I'm freaked out now wondering if I caused this to happen. I sent an email to customer service with some photos and explained the situation and yes I really hope they can work with me on this. I know it's just a guitar but it was a bucket list thing for me to go to the factory and pick out everything with Brian's Guitars and it came out exactly as I had hoped, thats why I'm so broken up about this. I only live about 10-15 minutes from the factory so hopefully I can take it over and let them have a look.

Just wanted to clarify a few things in response to some of the questions from my op. My guitars are racked in my home studio, away from windows and doors. I have all of the PRS guitars together and the other guitars have not show any pigment change. Some of those finishes include "Zombie Fade", "Faded Charcoal" "Faded Blue Jean", "Whale Blue" etc. The reason I am stating those stains is because they seem to be lighter applied then say my other guitars such as "Yellow Tiger", "McCarty Smokeburst", "Tobacco Burst" etc. I don't know much about the HUE/UV amount and yes maybe that has something to do with it. By no means am I complaining or angry with PRS, I have played them since 96 and they are my favorite guitars and if I am offered the option for a refin I will most likely not do a NL again which is a bummer because the original finish on mine was one of the best examples I've ever seen. I know it is on me but I just don't feel like I should have to case my guitars, they are out so I can play them freely. After hearing a lot of the responses to my OP I must admit I'm freaked out now wondering if I caused this to happen. I sent an email to customer service with some photos and explained the situation and yes I really hope they can work with me on this. I know it's just a guitar but it was a bucket list thing for me to go to the factory and pick out everything with Brian's Guitars and it came out exactly as I had hoped, thats why I'm so broken up about this. I only live about 10-15 minutes from the factory so hopefully I can take it over and let them have a look.

I feel your pain man. I hope the good folks at PRS will do something (it may not be a free refin but maybe something). You could always sell that guitar and get a guitar with another more stable coloring. Obviously, I am not recommending to chuck that guitar (it still looks cool) but it might hurt a bit to look at it and know that what it is now was not what you intended or paid for it to be.

Must be a blessing and curse to live so close to the factory. I’d be over there asking for a tour every single day if I lived that close.

Monday: Can I meet PRSh?
Tuesday: Can I see the Silver Sky guitars?
Wednesday: Can I see the lastest Private Stock guitars?
Thursday: Can I touch the Brazilian Rosewood slabs?
Friday: Can I meet PRSh again? I forgot to ask him this one question...

Monday: Is my buddy Shawn in there?
Tuesday: Is my other buddy Sean in there?
Wednesday: My 513 had this employees name on it, Can I meet him?
Thursday: Can I meet PRSh again? I thought up another question.
Friday: Oh boy. Can you teach me how you stained my guitar? I love this color.

Repeat.

Repeat.

Repeat... until forever comes.

I feel your pain man. I hope the good folks at PRS will do something (it may not be a free refin but maybe something). You could always sell that guitar and get a guitar with another more stable coloring. Obviously, I am not recommending to chuck that guitar (it still looks cool) but it might hurt a bit to look at it and know that what it is now was not what you intended or paid for it to be.

Must be a blessing and curse to live so close to the factory. I’d be over there asking for a tour every single day if I lived that close.

Monday: Can I meet PRSh?
Tuesday: Can I see the Silver Sky guitars?
Wednesday: Can I see the lastest Private Stock guitars?
Thursday: Can I touch the Brazilian Rosewood slabs?
Friday: Can I meet PRSh again? I forgot to ask him this one question...

Monday: Is my buddy Shawn in there?
Tuesday: Is my other buddy Sean in there?
Wednesday: My 513 had this employees name on it, Can I meet him?
Thursday: Can I meet PRSh again? I thought up another question.
Friday: Oh boy. Can you teach me how you stained my guitar? I love this color.

Repeat.

Repeat.

Repeat... until forever comes.
You may want to consider applying for a job there. Curiosity and enthusiasm are valuable assets!

I don't think it's on you, I was always told don't leave guitars in direct sun light, your wasn't. That will fade them. Not sure why yours faded so quickly, I curious to what PRS says. I leave my guitars in acase when not in use but its not for that reason. My whale blue spent countless hours out of the case being played, outdoor shows, indoor smokey dives, practices, etc. I am really curious to what the company says, no way that should have faded within two years. Best of luck.

Yeah, I don't think anyone is seriously thinking you "caused" this. But it certainly happened from some kind of interaction with light (or at least some form of "radiation"). Your LED lights are the prime suspect.

I hope they take care of you, too.

Though I’ll note that I just as “freely” play my guitars. It isn’t all that much effort to open a case and pick up the guitar.

UPDATE!!! I just received an email from Shawn @PRS. They will refinish it for me! What a wonderful company!!! The process will take roughly 16 weeks (which I don't mind at all) and I'm confident that they will be able to bring it back to its original NL glory. On a side note one thing I had not thought of was if the sunrise could have anything to do with what happened. I am normally not in the studio that early in the morning so I don't know what angle if any the sun coming up could play into all this. Being that I am driving over to the factory tomorrow I am going to be up early to investigate. I will post any new details once I do. Again what a great customer experience from such a generous brand, many thanks to Shawn and the PRS team.

UPDATE!!! I just received an email from Shawn @PRS. They will refinish it for me! What a wonderful company!!! The process will take roughly 16 weeks (which I don't mind at all) and I'm confident that they will be able to bring it back to its original NL glory. On a side note one thing I had not thought of was if the sunrise could have anything to do with what happened. I am normally not in the studio that early in the morning so I don't know what angle if any the sun coming up could play into all this. Being that I am driving over to the factory tomorrow I am going to be up early to investigate. I will post any new details once I do. Again what a great customer experience from such a generous brand, many thanks to Shawn and the PRS team.
Cheers to you and to PRS!

Excellent.

Don’t discount the power of the morning sun. Please advise us of anything you learn regarding the sun or the lights you use.

Back