Private Stock is fading!!!

I’ve heard blues will naturally fade over time. That’s why I decided not to go the northern lights route with my PS. This is pretty crazy though man. I hope something gets worked out for ya brosif.

I have a Northern Lights PS from late 2015, but I keep mine cased when not in use.

It hasn’t faded.

Even indirect light coming in from a window will fade some finishes, and as others have noted, blue stains are very photosensitive. Photons activate certain chemical reactions; I don’t think it’s only UV light, though UV light is the usual culprit.

All that said, if mine fades, well, then it fades. Maybe I’d have it refinished, maybe not. Still, my experience with blue PRSes is that keeping them cased when not in use seems to preserve the color better.

Note: I’ve only had two blue PRSes. So I’m no expert on blue PRSes, like Sergio, nor am I an interpreter of metaphysics. ;)

I have 4 blue(-ish) PRSi built between 2004 and 2012 and only one (the 2012 Studio in faded blue burst) has faded since I've owned them. I figure they've all been treated about the same (some are cased more than others) and it's down to chemistry between the pigment and the wood that affects how sensitive they are to fading.

I think I'd be physically ill if I had a Northern Lights top that started out that beautiful and faded out to purply-pink.

A lot of natural artists blues are not archival and do fade over time and it's not as simple as just changing a blue. Pigments have varying degrees of transparency and interact with other colours differently even if they look the same on their own. I've seen this topic come up a handful of times in the last week, I guess PRS are more interested in the look than the archival quality of the finishes. It's a shame because some of the guitars like this one are stunners. There are a bunch of man made pigments now that have good light fastness. Hopefully PRS are looking at them. I'd be gutted if I bought a gorgeous premium guitar and have it fade out within a couple of years.

I assume it's light fastness because it looks fine under the bridge where the light doesnt really reach. I suppose some UV protective coating would make a difference. I saw some really cool products for autos a couple of months ago. Not sure how they would work on guitars.

Perhaps a bit of detective work here could be useful. The right side of the top, where the violin carve is, seems to have faded much less. That might give you a clue to the culprit ‘light’. Which lighting fixture is at an angle that permanently does not reach the right region, yet reaches the rest of the top?

Last edited:
If it was caused by anything in the environment other than the light I would be surprised. I went back and looked at the pic under the studs and the color appears near perfect still. It seems anything other than light would have affected under the bridge too. Again, I would bet PRS will make it right especially for a private stock. If they give you a total refin would you consider the same color or make a change based on this experience? There is a lot to select from out there. Again, good luck whatever happens. Funny, I just realized I have three faded blue jean ME1's in cases from 2012 that I have not opened probably in 5 years. :)Seriously, I plan to dig them out tomorrow to check for any degeneration. Maybe I'll get a whiff of new lacquer in case smell, I hope.:D

Last edited:
PTC to the rescue, but strange one for sure, they need to determine root cause and change something in the finishing department if its not a one off error

This is exactly why I haven't picked up a northern lights, even though it's something I'd love to have. I've actually gotten out of the blue guitar thing altogether.

I have three "blue" PRSi now. Most recent came last week brand new, so I will not count that.

The other two are a Sapphire Blue McKorina and a Blue Matteo SAS. The McKorina I bought within the last two years, but was NOS, probably finished in 2012.

The SAS I bought used maybe two or three years ago, and is a mid-2000s, IIRC.

Both hang on the wall in my upstairs ahllway - no direct sunlight, very little indirect sunlight, and very little incandescent lights - it is dim up there most of the day/night.

Neither have faded one iota. But both have very strong blues. Maybe "hints of blue" mixed in with other stains make them more prone to fading under light?

I would be surprised if PRS didn't offer to re-stain under warranty.

finishes don't breathe, my dude. Otherwise they wouldn't do their job.

Maybe a UV wax is worth experimenting with. Plenty of people wax guitar finishes and necks... I don't know anything about UV protecting products myself but you'd still be looking for a wax that is as pure as you can find

I have two blues Whale blue 1990 Cust24 with no fade and 1988 Blue Burst signature no fade but signature lightend before I owned it but color is fine. I ALWAYS keep them in the case when not in use.

I truly believe that a PS less than 2 years old PRS will honor a re-finish. Contact them and let us know how you made out.

I really wouldn't consider this "normal wear and tear", the guitar isn't even 2 years old yet. I called PRS and was told to email customer service with pictures which I have so hopefully things will work out. Having owned plenty of PRS guitars and currently have 10 of them I can't really get behind blue stains being a problem. My Whale Blue and Faded Blue Jean have retained their stain in the same environment and under the same conditions.

I don't know how commonly it actually happens, but I'd say nine times out of ten when someone talks about finish fading, it's due to the blue component. It seems like blue is generally okay, but there's a wild card aspect, as if it is occasionally programmed to self-destruct.

I would love for PRS to prove me wrong and refinish your guitar, but don't get your hopes too high. They are under no obligation to do you any favors.

Last edited:
Yeah it still looks cool but significantly different from the guitar as purchased. I can’t imagine paying Private Stock money only to have the color change like this within 2 years.

I’d call PRS Customer Service about this one... and if it’s a known issue, I would ask for a more stable color. That’s what I’d do... can’t have my Northern Lights going all pinky on me.

If the recommendation is to keep it in the case to prevent blue from going pink within 2 years, well, I don’t know if PRSh would agree with that... I heard him go off on a guy who was keeping his nice PRS guitar in a case, lol.

Back