Private Stock Headstock Eagle differences

eugeneelgr

@eugeneelgr
Hi guys,

I was just hoping to get some clarity on the differences between some PS HS Eagles.
IMG_9656_2048x2048.jpg
photo6.jpg

From my understanding, the above 2 are old school eagles without outlines. So my question is, when I order it specced as old school eagle with no outlines in mother of pearl, will the eagle be made from one piece of mother of pearl, or 3 more distinct pieces?

Appreciate all the help!

I would say “old” or “old school” automatically means the 3 piece version.

My impression is that the 1 piece version only started to appear recently while early PS guitars from way before the millennium had 3 piece eagles by default.

. So my question is, when I order it specced as old school eagle with no outlines in mother of pearl, will the eagle be made from one piece of mother of pearl, or 3 more distinct pieces?

Appreciate all the help!

Send a picture and description to your dealer. They will do what you want.

Last edited:
When I spec'd my PS, I defaulted to giving as much effing detail as I could possibly give. For example, I wanted the old school speed knobs instead of the lampshade ones. PRS hasn't used those in years (except on the throwback series). Typical speed knobs have tiny little dashes....PRS' did not. I made it a point to say I wanted speed knobs without dashes.

As far as the differences here in the eagle, I would say it has more to do with the maple being used as opposed to the shell on the second picture. I ordered black mother of pearl birds with paua outlines and I got 3 distinct pieces in the eagle.

Send a picture and description to your dealer. They will do what you want.

Not always. The communication between dealer and PS team has not been good in my 4 experiences. To say the least. Even with detailed pics. Seriously. I would sit down with Tina and Paul Miles and go over it in excruciating detail. Then you will get what you want. Paul Miles knows his stuff.

Not always. The communication between dealer and PS team has not been good in my 4 experiences. To say the least. Even with detailed pics. Seriously. I would sit down with Tina and Paul Miles and go over it in excruciating detail. Then you will get what you want. Paul Miles knows his stuff.

Solid advice, but this guy is half the world away.

As far as the differences here in the eagle, I would say it has more to do with the maple being used as opposed to the shell on the second picture. I ordered black mother of pearl birds with paua outlines and I got 3 distinct pieces in the eagle.

Thing is, with outlines specced, it automatically means multiple pieces. And I didn't spec mine with outlines, wanted to keep more performance specs on it as opposed to aesthetic ones within my budget.

I would say “old” or “old school” automatically means the 3 piece version.

My impression is that the 1 piece version only started to appear recently while early PS guitars from way before the millennium had 3 piece eagles by default.

Ah, this helps alot, my dealer specced "Old PS eagle". I'll ask them to confirm it with the PS team and update this thread!

Ah, this helps alot, my dealer specced "Old PS eagle". I'll ask them to confirm it with the PS team and update this thread!
Here are some references that may help. I doubt in those early days they would specify 3 piece vs 1 piece. I reckon it would have been just “PS eagle”. It’s just my best guess though.

http://willcuttguitars.com/paul-ree...tock-0305-custom-24-dark-cherry-sunburst-used

http://willcuttguitars.com/paul-ree...-private-stock-1600-custom-22-tiger-eye-burst

Oh and be careful surfing those pages. It’s a slippery slippery slope! ;)

Here are some references that may help. I doubt in those early days they would specify 3 piece vs 1 piece. I reckon it would have been just “PS eagle”. It’s just my best guess though.

http://willcuttguitars.com/paul-ree...tock-0305-custom-24-dark-cherry-sunburst-used

http://willcuttguitars.com/paul-ree...-private-stock-1600-custom-22-tiger-eye-burst

Oh and be careful surfing those pages. It’s a slippery slippery slope! ;)

I personally much prefer the 3 piece "old school" eagles over the 1 piece ones, I feel it gives the eagle more dimension in builds where outlines aren't spec'ed.

Yea, willcutt's page has been my go to site for awhile for PS builds. They take some of the nicest pics too.

Reactions: Tag
When it comes to PSes, I’m weird.

I’ve got 3 PS electrics, and all of them were stock PS limited model runs, I never spec’d one. They turned out great, but I couldn’t tell you whether the eagles and inlays are old school, new school, or didn’t finish school. I never seem to notice that stuff beyond, “that’s really a nice looking guitar.”

Not that there’s anything wrong with being into all that, of course, it’s just not my interest.

But damn, they sure play and sound great — that I notice! And I love the PRS nitro finish.

I did spec out a PS acoustic so I could get a maple body and carbon fiber strength rods in the neck. I wanted it to be as simple as possible, but they made it beautiful anyway; I guess they can’t help themselves, it just happens because they’re really talented artisans.

The US Artist acoustics at that time came with hollow bird inlays, and being of limited imagination, I was fine with that. So I asked the PS folks to just stick with what was stock on the production model.

I had no trouble getting exactly what I wanted. They probably thought I was nuts, though, because I ordered a natural finish instead of a color on the acoustic, and they talked me into adding a very light tone and burst at the edges. They were right, the guitar is a joy.

I do feel a little conspicuous pulling any of them out when session folks come over, but I get over that after a few minutes.

Last edited:
Back