Private Stock Friday

Because the Private Stock team stopped, for now, doing exotic configurations due to the long backlog they have. They must have deemed that saves them time; although in your case that seems a little weird because I think @Moondog Wily has a configuration like that made for NAMM (if so there is no design fee/extra time needed so they don't save anything...)

For the same reason:
- no more custom-designed fingerboard/headstock inlays for the time being; you can still order whatever has already been designed though (walking zombies, bats in flight, owls in flight, birds of a feather, etc...)
- no more custom designed color/stains
That's crazy. It's actually not even as complex as I made it sound, as Moondog Wily suggested the trem routing might interfere. I asked for the 2 piece stop tail. Maybe if I ask for the thicker body so they're essentially just gluing a 24 fret neck to a 594 body that will get me what I want. Though I question how much 'custom' guitar making is really happening at that point. It's been pretty disappointing to deal with them tbh.

That's crazy. It's actually not even as complex as I made it sound, as Moondog Wily suggested the trem routing might interfere. I asked for the 2 piece stop tail. Maybe if I ask for the thicker body so they're essentially just gluing a 24 fret neck to a 594 body that will get me what I want. Though I question how much 'custom' guitar making is really happening at that point. It's been pretty disappointing to deal with them tbh.
IMO this is not the right place to vent. Work w/ your dealer to see if any other changes would convince them to do what you are looking for.
The restrictions on what you are trying to get are very recent and, whether you like them or not, PRS must have deemed that will save them time w/o affecting sales. I'm fairly sure it's only temporarily though.

IMO this is not the right place to vent. Work w/ your dealer to see if any other changes would convince them to do what you are looking for.
The restrictions on what you are trying to get are very recent and, whether you like them or not, PRS must have deemed that will save them time w/o affecting sales. I'm fairly sure it's only temporarily though.

And it’s not like they are the first. PRS is pretty lenient in what they will do compared to other large custom shops.

Not possible. If you attach a 24 fret neck to a 594 body, the bridge position and scale length will be off.

Some of these look amazing. And yet I tried to order a Private Stock recently. I asked for a Custom 24 with a McCarty 594 control layout, and was told they couldn't do it. Still waiting to hear on why.
I asked for the same thing and was also told no. I also asked for a 594 with a CU24 body thickness and was told no. I hope its only temporary, but they are overloaded. I've been waiting about a week for responses, so who knows when things will get back to "normal"

Some of these look amazing. And yet I tried to order a Private Stock recently. I asked for a Custom 24 with a McCarty 594 control layout, and was told they couldn't do it. Still waiting to hear on why.

My guess: You can't fit the controls for a McCarty in a standard CU24 control route, so the route has to be different. Also, not sure that with the CU24 body depth, there would be room. My guess is, if they'd do it at all, you'd need the fatback option to have sufficient depth.

My guess: You can't fit the controls for a McCarty in a standard CU24 control route, so the route has to be different. Also, not sure that with the CU24 body depth, there would be room. My guess is, if they'd do it at all, you'd need the fatback option to have sufficient depth.
I really don’t think it is a can or can’t matter. They are just not currently blending models to simplify things and in doing so reduce the backlog.

I really don’t think it is a can or can’t matter. They are just not currently blending models to simplify things and in doing so reduce the backlog.
Probably, but I'd bet what I noted is also an issue, even if they weren't trying to cut production.

It's not just on private stocks. I was told the reason they went to all "pattern thin" this year on S2s and CU24s is for the same reason. H8 that since I do not like pattern thin and love pattern regular.

But is that what "Private Stock" is supposed to be? The "we don't have time for production of anything that custom because our backlog is so large?". I know Jesse from Ish recently did a video on one of his newest creations! Crotch maple with gold leaf burnt into some of the depressed and less lovely areas. Before PRS shipped it to him, Paul called Jesse and said "This is what private stock is supposed to be", museum like pieces. So would they have been able to reduce the back log by NOT producing that particular guitar? CERTAINLY! I am sure it took them a LOT of extra time to produce that one of a kind piece! But that is what PS is supposed to be as far as I want to read it, and as far as what I can interpret from that account of Paul talking about this Ish creation. I would much prefer for PRS to tell me, yes we can do that, but it may take us an additional 6 months to do that rather than, no, we will not do that for you! That's my 2 bits!

When I purchased my 2003 HD Screamin' Eagle Deuce from the Harley Davidson "Custom Vehicle Operations" unit, I said to my dealer, great, love it, but I want these other wheels! The response from HD and the dealer was, great, buy those wheels and your dealer will put them on for you. Do what you want with the wheels we are shipping the bike with! What is "Custom" about that?? Pissed me off to no end and I will never look at corporations the same way especially with their "Custom" or "Private Stock" classifications. Point is, it does not surprise me that PRS is doing this, but it does not make me happy in large part due to that scar left by another iconic USA manufacturer and not living up to the core of the programs they now tout as custom, but are really their idea of what a custom should/can be!

But is that what "Private Stock" is supposed to be? The "we don't have time for production of anything that custom because our backlog is so large?". I know Jesse from Ish recently did a video on one of his newest creations! Crotch maple with gold leaf burnt into some of the depressed and less lovely areas. Before PRS shipped it to him, Paul called Jesse and said "This is what private stock is supposed to be", museum like pieces. So would they have been able to reduce the back log by NOT producing that particular guitar? CERTAINLY! I am sure it took them a LOT of extra time to produce that one of a kind piece! But that is what PS is supposed to be as far as I want to read it, and as far as what I can interpret from that account of Paul talking about this Ish creation. I would much prefer for PRS to tell me, yes we can do that, but it may take us an additional 6 months to do that rather than, no, we will not do that for you! That's my 2 bits!

When I purchased my 2003 HD Screamin' Eagle Deuce from the Harley Davidson "Custom Vehicle Operations" unit, I said to my dealer, great, love it, but I want these other wheels! The response from HD and the dealer was, great, buy those wheels and your dealer will put them on for you. Do what you want with the wheels we are shipping the bike with! What is "Custom" about that?? Pissed me off to no end and I will never look at corporations the same way especially with their "Custom" or "Private Stock" classifications. Point is, it does not surprise me that PRS is doing this, but it does not make me happy in large part due to that scar left by another iconic USA manufacturer and not living up to the core of the programs they now tout as custom, but are really their idea of what a custom should/can be!
I don’t disagree with what Private Stock was meant to be. I do not believe the restrictions will last forever.
I do think the business decision to add restrictions is sound. It will keep me from ordering for a while, and I won’t hold a grudge about it.

Back