Private Stock Friday

Can you tell me about the shading in the third picture in the post 12432 few pages back?
I think you are talking about this one
psf248_1000-3-jpg.8493

Keep in mind, I am by no means an expect in the PRS process, but I have seen a lot of their wood and talked to Paul Miles several times.
Most of the swirling you see on the top of this guitar is wood grain. They often stain more than once to enhance the grain. In Private Stock, they may use different colours, and sand the first one back. This further accents the grain in the wood.
It’s hard to be sure in the current state of this top, and the lighting, but they may have sprayed a darker burst around the edge.
Here are a couple of examples of naked wood, and the stained result. There is a bunch more in an old thread.

This is a natural stain - basically making permanent what the wood looks like sprayed with water.
CK_BlondieTopWoodToGuitar.JPG

This has a hint of copperhead to enhance the grain - basically make the dark bits a bit darker.
CK_JujuTopWoodToGuitar.JPG

Last edited:
Yours are spectacular and I'm well astonished with their staining technics. I was actually asking about the spalted top? Below it the yellow orangy with black shades, giving it an awesome 3D effect.
I think you are talking about this one
psf248_1000-3-jpg.8493

Keep in mind, I am by now means an expect in the PRS process, but I have seen a lot of their wood and talked to Paul Miles several times.
Most of the swirling you see on the top of this guitar is wood grain. They often stain more than once to enhance the grain. In Private Stock, they may use different colours, and sand the first one back. This further accents the grain in the wood.
It’s hard to be sure in the current state of this top, and the lighting, but they may have sprayed a darker burst around the edge.
Here are a couple of examples of naked wood, and the stained result. There is a bunch more in an old thread.

This is a natural stain - basically making permanent what the wood looks like sprayed with water.
CK_BlondieTopWoodToGuitar.JPG

This has a hint of copperhead to enhance the grain - basically make the dark bits a bit darker.
CK_JujuTopWoodToGuitar.JPG

Yours are spectacular and I'm well astonished with their staining technics. I was actually asking about the spalted top? Below it the yellow orangy with black shades, giving it an awesome 3D effect.

Not wishing to contradict Peter, but I think that one is air-brushing.

Not wishing to contradict Peter, but I think that one is air-brushing.
If by air brushing, you mean the burst around the edge, and the sound holes, I agree that those are sprayed.
I'm trying to communicate that swirls and such on the top are not air brushed - those are the art of nature, not the hand of a PRS emplyee.

so this top - I agree with Alnus that the dark 'shadows' may have been sprayed
psf248_1000-5-jpg.8495

The edges on most spalt are sharper than that. This one before and after (just a natural finish) show just a dark black line at the borders of the 'good' wood. Those lines have been fattened on one side in the top above.
CK_SpaltTopWoodToGuitar.JPG

psf248_1000-5-jpg.8495

The edges on most spalt are sharper than that. This one before and after (just a natural finish) show just a dark black line at the borders of the 'good' wood. Those lines have been fattened on one side in the top above.
That was my initial thought, sprctacular.

psf248_1000-5-jpg.8495

Still some incredibly accurate masking and work!

Back