Private Stock Friday

Happy Private Stock Friday, guys! I picked up my custom-ordered Private Stock yesterday, and wanted to share some pics with the group. Apologies for the crappy iPhone pics. I know Christmas came early yesterday, but for those of us needing a Friday fix, here you go:

Last edited:
Beauty! Congrats - let’s get the rundown on the woods and electronics :)

Mahogany body, with 594 thickness, and a spalted maple top. There are a lot of really gorgeous Private Stock instruments, but knowing myself, I wanted something that would be really special looking but without being so pretty that I'd be afraid to play it. This guitar's going to be played. A lot.

Brazilian rosewood neck, with a pattern vintage neck shape, and cocobolo fingerboard, backplates and headstock veneer

DGT frets

DGT humbuckers and a 509 single coil. David Grissom has a real ear for tone, and I didn't think I'd like any humbuckers as much as his, so I opted for the DGTs. I don't know if PRS has changed DGTs, or whether they simply sound different in this guitar, but these pickups sound more open, with a little less output and midrange, than the pickups in my Artist Package DGT, which has been my number 1 for years. I'm actually relieved that the two guitars sound spectacular but in different ways.

The 5-position blade is bridge humbucker, bridge humbucker split + middle single coil, middle single coil, middle single coil + neck humbucker split and neck humbucker. However, if I pull-up on the push-pull pot, position 3 changes to the bridge and neck humbuckers. There also are two mini-toggle coil taps. I wanted easy access to the tones I use most often, with the ability to get the other less-commonly-used tones, as well.

There's a couple things that need to be sorted out, but I'm generally thrilled with how this guitar sounds and plays. PRS knocked this one out of the park!

Last edited:
Mahogany body, with 594 thickness, and a spalted maple top. There are a lot of really gorgeous Private Stock instruments, but knowing myself, I wanted something that would be really special looking but without being so pretty that I'd be afraid to play it. This guitar's going to be played. A lot.

Brazilian rosewood neck, with a pattern vintage neck shape, and cocobolo fingerboard, backplates and headstock veneer

DGT frets

DGT humbuckers and a 509 single coil. David Grissom has a real ear for tone, and I didn't think I'd like any humbuckers as much as his, so I opted for the DGTs. I don't know if PRS has changed DGTs, or whether they simply sound different in this guitar, but these pickups sound more open, with a little less output and midrange, than the pickups in my Artist Package DGT, which has been my number 1 for years. I'm actually relieved that the two guitars sound spectacular but in different ways.

The 5-position blade is bridge humbucker, bridge humbucker split + middle single coil, middle single coil, middle single coil + neck humbucker split and neck humbucker. However, if I pull-up on the push-pull pot, position 3 changes to the bridge and neck humbuckers. There also are two mini-toggle coil taps. I wanted easy access to the tones I use most often, with the ability to get the other less-commonly-used tones, as well.

There's a couple things that need to be sorted out, but I'm generally thrilled with how this guitar sounds and plays. PRS knocked this one out of the park!
Great specs! I love the Pattern Vintage neck carve and a good Braz RW neck. I like your configuration on pos 3 with the push pull - nice solution! Yeah, the tonewoods can make the pickups sound a bit different, but I thought I read they had tweaked some of the specs on the 2019 DGTs so maybe that is some of the difference on the pickups? Braz neck can accentuate more bass and highs relative to the mids so that could be some of the perception. Either way, nice build. Agree on the inlays - turquoise moons? Nice subtle touch!

Well done JDutch.
I especially like the inlays.

Thanks! I was going for something a little more understated and organic looking, and the moons seemed like the right choice, not that I have anything against birds, though. This is the fourth PRS that I currently own and the only one without birds.

Great specs! I love the Pattern Vintage neck carve and a good Braz RW neck. I like your configuration on pos 3 with the push pull - nice solution! Yeah, the tonewoods can make the pickups sound a bit different, but I thought I read they had tweaked some of the specs on the 2019 DGTs so maybe that is some of the difference on the pickups? Braz neck can accentuate more bass and highs relative to the mids so that could be some of the perception. Either way, nice build. Agree on the inlays - turquoise moons? Nice subtle touch!

Thanks, Paul! My DGT has an Indian Rosewood neck and Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard, so it’s somewhat similar.

The bobbins are reverse zebra. I think PRS might not have wax potted the pickups, so that I have the option of removing the covers, which may account for some of airiness I’m hearing, but I’m only guessing at this point. Whatever they did is working for me.

Thanks, Paul! My DGT has an Indian Rosewood neck and Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard, so it’s somewhat similar.

The bobbins are reverse zebra. I think PRS might not have wax potted the pickups, so that I have the option of removing the covers, which may account for some of airiness I’m hearing, but I’m only guessing at this point. Whatever they did is working for me.

Ah, that makes sense. The 58/15LT are unpotted and they seem ‘airy’ to me. Enjoy that guitar!

Back