Private Stock Friday

WOW, Pete, amazing looking guitar you have coming in! Congratulations.
If I were surrounded by all of your beautiful guitars, I wouldn't know where to start!

Is that spalted hollowbody going to be on sale to the general public through a dealer? Or was it a special order for a customer.

How do you think a beach fade finish would look on a spalted maple top? Would it obscure the natural beauty of the wood?

How do you think a beach fade finish would look on a spalted maple top? Would it obscure the natural beauty of the wood?
My understanding is that...sorry if I don't explain this right, its a little hard to put the words together, haha...stain on top of spalt doesn't really allow all those black streaks to show through. We have had luck with the amber shades smokebursts on Spalted Maple. But, my understanding is a color like Blue will hide a lot of the grain. Not that it would look bad, but it might hide a lot of the beauty that you like in a particular piece of Spalted Maple, especially on the darker blue areas of the beach fade.

Anyway, could be great! But, thats my understanding, its why we don't order a lot of color on spalted maple tops.

Spalt is from a fungus in decaying wood. Spalted maple tends to be very light, soft and porous. I think they actually dip it in glue, or a stabilizer to have a finish that will last. I am guessing you can't stain wood that has been dipped in glue, it won't absorb stain properly.

Spalt is from a fungus in decaying wood. Spalted maple tends to be very light, soft and porous. I think they actually dip it in glue, or a stabilizer to have a finish that will last. I am guessing you can't stain wood that has been dipped in glue, it won't absorb stain properly.

Woundtight in the house!

Has anyone ever stained and THEN dipped some spalty maple in glue? And yes, I think Paul likes to submerge spalt in cyanoacrylate aka super glue. I wonder how that would turn out, or how you would get the guitar to finish, then...hmmm...uh....maybe that's why they don't do it.

It is a fungus and rotting wood, and very prone to breakage which is why you dont see it used as necks. They use super glue to stabalize it. Have to have great ventilation as this can kill your lungs, and you. They don't dip it in super glue, just spread it across the top after it's been shaped. You can in fact stain over super glue and super glue is used often for spot repairs and the like.

Hey folks, long time no talk! Hope everyone got Private Stocks for Christmas!

Here's the latest from the shop:

PSF96(1000)-2.jpg
PSF96(1000)-3.jpg
PSF96(1000)-4.jpg
PSF96(1000)-5.jpg
PSF96(1000)-6.jpg
PSF96(1000)-7.jpg
PSF96(1000)-8.jpg

Back