Private Stock Friday

Although I would say it's probably not the right place to bring this up it is not a harsh statement, it's just a fact.
Which is preferable could presumably be subjective I suppose, but I know which one I like.

When I spec'd a quilt top laguna dragon breath CU24 2 years ago I specifically referenced that one (which I now own):
IMG_9791_1024x.jpg

asking specifically for 1) smooth gradation, 2) avoiding the abrupt V shape seen in most dragon breath stain jobs the last 2-3 years (see the Dragon 35th run for example).

Here's what I got (there were other issues along the way such as not being shown any of the woods picked):
3JcKJAY.jpg

I did consider having the dealer sending it back immediately for re-staining or selling it as a store build instead; but after waiting 12+months neither option was very appealing.

The aggravating factor is there was nothing hard about what I asked; it was just effectively ignored.
Anyone who has spent a decent amount of time dyeing wood, let alone pros who do this all day long at PRS, would have no problem avoiding that abrupt V and ensuring smooth color transitions.
It just requires a bit more attention and time, and frankly you expect both at that price point.
Now that is what I'm talking about. Playability, Feel, Tone, Build Quality? 100%. Finish? You be the judge.

I agree, let's leave the ill-intended trolling at home, but as a business owner and *devout* fan of Paul Reed Smith, I would be negligent to say nothing. If the plain truth hurts, it's time to fix it plain and simple. I've seen it before hoping it was a bygone episode, but here we are again. Whatever simple measures are necessary to improve these results, no doubt that customers and hard-working employees will be all stoked and enjoy the pride of a job excellently done.

Staining wood like Dave did is not easy. I had a long conversation with him at Experience just about my Iceberg DB DGT, and he NAILED what I wanted. I would get that guy on the ol' horn. It will pay off, guaranteed.

Staining wood like Dave did is not easy. I had a long conversation with him at Experience just about my Iceberg DB DGT, and he NAILED what I wanted. I would get that guy on the ol' horn. It will pay off, guaranteed.
At a certain price point (and certainly PS guitars are in this category), 'difficulty' becomes irrelevant. That level of quality/finish is simply what is acceptable.

I've recently put forward 2 different builds for a PS quote; the first was simply a no that's impossible, the second was also a no but more because they didn't want to rather than it wasn't possible, and would I like this other option instead. I get that they have a large PS backlog and they are cutting down on options to try and speed things up, but at this point it feels like they are prioritising getting guitars out the door over fulfilling customers expectations a little bit.

I get that they have a large PS backlog and they are cutting down on options to try and speed things up, but at this point it feels like they are prioritising getting guitars out the door over fulfilling customers expectations a little bit.
Sorry PRS I love you but I have to agree with this statement. Perhaps this is the relentless march of capitalism but it’s a bit of a shame nonetheless.

That said I feel like the guitar industry pre and post 2020 is a totally different animal . Will this correct? I actually hope not. More people playing guitars is a good thing

I would respectfully submit that kvetching about the guitars pictured in this thread is an outstanding way to convince PRS that it's not worth continuing to post these pictures we've been enjoying so much. The conversation may be legitimate but this thread is a terrible place to have it

I would respectfully submit that kvetching about the guitars pictured in this thread is an outstanding way to convince PRS that it's not worth continuing to post these pictures we've been enjoying so much. The conversation may be legitimate but this thread is a terrible place to have it
I respect your opinion. I’m certain this PSF is not going anywhere. It sells too many guitars! Cheers.

All I’ve got to say about the last few posts is:
If you don’t like the f*#+*^g things don’t buy em.
I think they’re gorgeous… and I’ll never be able to afford one…. So? Keep the eye candy coming.
Nobody “deserves” better.
Sorry, but if you pay the money for ultra premium products, that's what you deserve.

However on your other point I agree, so I said no thanks to their alternative. I want the guitar I want, not the one you're prepared to make.

Whenever you need positive vibes, just look at an excellently stained PRS 594. Here’s a studio shot of my most recent new addition. Truly sensational!

Whenever you need positive vibes, just look at an excellently stained PRS 594. Here’s a studio shot of my most recent new addition. Truly sensational!

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about.

Good googly moogly...I love this stuff...
Anywhooooo...

1) How 'bout that single piece burst top with the crazy wide guiltiness. (#8609)
Very interesting finish...burst on top and bottom of body, but not at the butt?????
2) And the older Blue Floyd equipped Cu24 ... Refin??? (#3724)

Holy Crap, Gorgeous!!!!!

Good googly moogly...I love this stuff...
Anywhooooo...

1) How 'bout that single piece burst top with the crazy wide guiltiness. (#8609)
Very interesting finish...burst on top and bottom of body, but not at the butt?????
2) And the older Blue Floyd equipped Cu24 ... Refin??? (#3724)

Holy Crap, Gorgeous!!!!!
It's a "skunk fade", like faded to dark on opposing sides on the horizontal. Knaggs has been doing it a bit, I think it looks really cool. Different! Would be cool to see the before and after on the refinish!

Back