Private Stock Friday

But is that what "Private Stock" is supposed to be? The "we don't have time for production of anything that custom because our backlog is so large?". I know Jesse from Ish recently did a video on one of his newest creations! Crotch maple with gold leaf burnt into some of the depressed and less lovely areas. Before PRS shipped it to him, Paul called Jesse and said "This is what private stock is supposed to be", museum like pieces. So would they have been able to reduce the back log by NOT producing that particular guitar? CERTAINLY! I am sure it took them a LOT of extra time to produce that one of a kind piece! But that is what PS is supposed to be as far as I want to read it, and as far as what I can interpret from that account of Paul talking about this Ish creation. I would much prefer for PRS to tell me, yes we can do that, but it may take us an additional 6 months to do that rather than, no, we will not do that for you! That's my 2 bits!

When I purchased my 2003 HD Screamin' Eagle Deuce from the Harley Davidson "Custom Vehicle Operations" unit, I said to my dealer, great, love it, but I want these other wheels! The response from HD and the dealer was, great, buy those wheels and your dealer will put them on for you. Do what you want with the wheels we are shipping the bike with! What is "Custom" about that?? Pissed me off to no end and I will never look at corporations the same way especially with their "Custom" or "Private Stock" classifications. Point is, it does not surprise me that PRS is doing this, but it does not make me happy in large part due to that scar left by another iconic USA manufacturer and not living up to the core of the programs they now tout as custom, but are really their idea of what a custom should/can be!
That Ish guitar was “just” a 594 though, meaning it didn’t take any additional CNC programming/design or anything.

PRS’s “ingredient list” is getting to be so big(ish) now that they probably need time to catch up. Frankly, dude is probably lucky they said no. Being the first to pay for all those CNC and engineering changes would be hella expensive.

Happy Private Stock Friday the 13th!

PSF-1.jpg
PSF-2.jpg
PSF-3.jpg
PSF-4.jpg
PSF-5.jpg
PSF-6.jpg
PSF-7.jpg
PSF-8.jpg
PSF-9.jpg
PSF-10.jpg

So I'm getting a Private Stock order started here soon, and I'm having a hard time with the color. I know WHAT I want, just not sure what it's called... but something along these lines.

What color are these 3 called? They aren't all aqua violet glow/Dragon's Breath are they? is maybe the middle one a Steel Blue?
Just send your dealer pics of the color you want. They'll do their best to match it...

Because the Private Stock team stopped, for now, doing exotic configurations due to the long backlog they have. They must have deemed that saves them time; although in your case that seems a little weird because I think @Moondog Wily has a configuration like that made for NAMM (if so there is no design fee/extra time needed so they don't save anything...)

For the same reason:
- no more custom-designed fingerboard/headstock inlays for the time being; you can still order whatever has already been designed though (walking zombies, bats in flight, owls in flight, birds of a feather, etc...)
- no more custom designed color/stains
What I really enjoyed was going back and forth for over a month with a dealer specing out a new Private Stock only to get to final approval and being told they won’t do the headstock inlay I asked for. Now I can understand that they are super backlogged and need to streamline things but, this was not an elaborate inlay design, in fact it’s already in there CNC programming as I had it spec’d on my 2013 PS and others have too. The thing that got me is the rep didn’t even know that they would no longer do inlay work and was surprised as the dealer and I were! PRS should let these changes be known so people’s time and energy is not wasted. I think people want inlay options on a 13k+ guitar. Just my 2 cents.

What I really enjoyed was going back and forth for over a month with a dealer specing out a new Private Stock only to get to final approval and being told they won’t do the headstock inlay I asked for. Now I can understand that they are super backlogged and need to streamline things but, this was not an elaborate inlay design, in fact it’s already in there CNC programming as I had it spec’d on my 2013 PS and others have too. The thing that got me is the rep didn’t even know that they would no longer do inlay work and was surprised as the dealer and I were! PRS should let these changes be known so people’s time and energy is not wasted. I think people want inlay options on a 13k+ guitar. Just my 2 cents.
Look at it positively: you saved $13k

Although the processing applied to these PSF pictures makes blue particularly unreliable, none appear to be Aqua Violet.
The first one looks like Ocean Mist Glow, the last two are both Sub-Zero Glow/Dragon Breath.
See... that's why I asked, I knew someone may know. I've never even heard of ocean mist glow!

Back