Private Stock Friday

img_5891-scaled.jpeg
So So gorgeous.
get it here
https://www.baytunesguitars.com/sho...carty-594-tremolo-one-piece-burled-maple-top/
After I got my last burl guitar, burl never looked the same anymore. I keep seeing eerie “faces” in burl! :eek:

Hi nation, I know I'm off topic, but how do you feel about my creation? Would you like PRS to do such a thing? Cheers, Augustin
Part 2/3

caught this guy signing headstocks, he doesn't even work here : )
View attachment 2590

View attachment 2591

View attachment 2592

View attachment 2593

eric has a pretty view
View attachment 2594
finally strung up
View attachment 2595
great hardware!
View attachment 2596

View attachment 2597

Hi guys, how do you highlight these black lines?

So I've finally received my PS Lefty McCarty 594 Soapbar and I'm absolutely blown away! "Aesthetic Arrest" has def been achieved. As I say in the video, this was my first PS experience where I took my own concept and built it from start to finish. It took over 2 years but it was so worth it. It was also killing me to see it featured in the Private Stock film a few weeks ago and then to see these pics as that was the first time I'd seen her completed!

Holy crikey, how did I miss this?!?!?

First off, congrats on a beautiful creation!

Secondly, it warms my heart to have another lefty here! Especially given that one of the #1 sentiments in your video was so similar to my own expressed in my PS build: You guys just don't *get* how hard it is for a lefty to get amazing guitars like these!!

Congrats again, she's amazing!!

Now, let's talk about how you got those others on the wall behind you...
So far I've only been able to get a SE 24, Core 24, McCarty, and my PS HB II.

Holy crikey, how did I miss this?!?!?

First off, congrats on a beautiful creation!

Secondly, it warms my heart to have another lefty here! Especially given that one of the #1 sentiments in your video was so similar to my own expressed in my PS build: You guys just don't *get* how hard it is for a lefty to get amazing guitars like these!!

Congrats again, she's amazing!!

Now, let's talk about how you got those others on the wall behind you...
So far I've only been able to get a SE 24, Core 24, McCarty, and my PS HB II.

I feel like you don't fully grasp the concept of the word "only".

I feel like you don't fully grasp the concept of the word "only".

Ha, fair enough! Please know that I understand how fortunate I am to have such a great collection of awesome instruments. "Only" is not meant to imply that I do not have enough PRS. (Though can we ever really have "enough PRS"?)

I love everything PRS, and mean no disrespect to the company or PRSh. I'm the dude (one of the dudes?) w/the birds tattooed from my forearm up and around my shoulder on my picking hand. I've heard him explain why he doesn't make more lefties, and try to understand that decision.

However...

If you look at the PRS main site, a *super* quick count shows: 22 Core, 7 Bolt-on, 11 S2, and 23 SE models available. "Only" one of those has a lefty option. My list of the guitars I have shows that they do make runs of other models from time to time, but right now they "only" make one lefty standard. Over time I've managed to pick up one lefty version of each that I've found, but that's "only" 3 available + 1 PS. That's what I meant by "only".

I love my PS, and the opportunity to put it together in the Vault was one of the highlights of my guitar obsession. That being said, the impetus of my planning and saving was the only way I was going to get a HB II lefty. I too get that quickening of the heartbeat every time I play it (still), but it would've been cool to not "only" be able to get a HB II if I built a PS.

I respect your comment, and my goal wasn't to disagree. I'm just trying to clarify what I meant by "only".

Ha, fair enough! Please know that I understand how fortunate I am to have such a great collection of awesome instruments. "Only" is not meant to imply that I do not have enough PRS. (Though can we ever really have "enough PRS"?)

I love everything PRS, and mean no disrespect to the company or PRSh. I'm the dude (one of the dudes?) w/the birds tattooed from my forearm up and around my shoulder on my picking hand. I've heard him explain why he doesn't make more lefties, and try to understand that decision.

However...

If you look at the PRS main site, a *super* quick count shows: 22 Core, 7 Bolt-on, 11 S2, and 23 SE models available. "Only" one of those has a lefty option. My list of the guitars I have shows that they do make runs of other models from time to time, but right now they "only" make one lefty standard. Over time I've managed to pick up one lefty version of each that I've found, but that's "only" 3 available + 1 PS. That's what I meant by "only".

I love my PS, and the opportunity to put it together in the Vault was one of the highlights of my guitar obsession. That being said, the impetus of my planning and saving was the only way I was going to get a HB II lefty. I too get that quickening of the heartbeat every time I play it (still), but it would've been cool to not "only" be able to get a HB II if I built a PS.

I respect your comment, and my goal wasn't to disagree. I'm just trying to clarify what I meant by "only".
I wonder if the 594 would be a good option for lefty. Hasn't it been selling like gangbusters?

However...

That's fair enough! I definitely meant it as a joke, so I'm glad you didn't take it as anything other than a fun dig. I had no idea that the situation was so bad for lefties. I know PRS aren't the biggest guitar company in the world but they're surely big enough to offer more than one lefty model at a time.

That's fair enough! I definitely meant it as a joke, so I'm glad you didn't take it as anything other than a fun dig. I had no idea that the situation was so bad for lefties. I know PRS aren't the biggest guitar company in the world but they're surely big enough to offer more than one lefty model at a time.

Nah, it's all good. I've come a long way from saving up part-time ice cream shop paychecks in high school to buy my first strung up backwards Ibanez righty. I know I'm spoiled with the collection I've managed to put together since The Beastie Boys debut album! :D

I don't want to make it sound like it's only PRS either. Some companies are better than others, but next time you're in a local shop (big nationwide chain or local seller), take a peek. The norm for me is 200 guitars on the walls, and if I'm LUCKY 3 will be lefties. I have some local shops that I use here, and they all say the same thing: lefties sit on the wall forever, taking up space. So I understand why PRSh makes the decisions he does, but it doesn't mean I like it. :D

I watched an interesting video w/Tony Iommi. If you odn't know, he's a lefty, and lost a good chunk of the fingers on his fretting hand just as they were taking off. He said that he couldn't even consider trying to relearn the guitar as righty, being 5 years into playing already at that point. BUT, 40 years into his career he wishes he had. OFC, he also credits his unique situation to his drop-style tuning and signature tone.

For me, that translates into: I wish I'd played righty from Day 1, and want to go back and slap my first instructor that taught me how to string a righty up backwards. ;)
There's a bigger problem tho: Our youngest (who's 4) is starting to seriously look like he's a lefty, and he's already trying to pick up my guitars. I'm SO torn to just make him start righty, even though it means he'll never be able to play my guitars. There's the quandry: leave him my quasi-respectable collection, or relieve him from a lifetime of limited choices?!?!?

Back