Private Stock Friday

Ahhh....
psf2-4-jpg.8731

One has to cut a lot of wood to find a piece like this. And then getting it to remain check free while drying is a whole other battle. It’s easy to see why this is referred to as “feather.” Just a special piece.

One has to cut a lot of wood to find a piece like this. And then getting it to remain check free while drying is a whole other battle. It’s easy to see why this is referred to as “feather.” Just a special piece.

Funny, that one caught my eye as well.

I had to stop to reflect on the fact that it inspired no "competition or jealousy" when I think of mine, just appreciation for its unique beauty. I always find it interesting that I can be very competitive (in my own head at least) when comparing something I love with someone else's, but it never comes into play when I look at PRS guitars. I think it's really a testament to their individual personality and creativity, speaking to various people in different ways.

You'll never hear me say that they aren't meant to be played, but I also think they all pieces of art as well.

As always, kudos to everyone that makes the magic every day over there in the Eas'dern Shore.

Sorry if this is terribly newbie of me to ask, but what's the deal with these private stock guitars? Are these special orders people have made? Or are they special creations and can be bought by mere mortals like us? Because the 509 is calling my name...

Sorry if this is terribly newbie of me to ask, but what's the deal with these private stock guitars? Are these special orders people have made? Or are they special creations and can be bought by mere mortals like us? Because the 509 is calling my name...

Both? ;)

Some are spec'd out by stores, built, and available for sale. Others (like mine) were spec'd out by me, in partnership with a dealer, and all mine from the get-go.

And yes, I'm a mere mortal. :D

If the 509 is a store-spec’d build I would bet on it going to either Wildcat guitars, Wild West guitars, Eddies guitars, Ish guitars, Moore music, Willcutt guitars or even possibly Brian’s Guitars. It’s very much some of their builds’ style (yes I look too much at PS guitars). Shoot them an email with the pic asking if it’s possibly theirs.

It would be cool to do symbols and landmarks associated with Australia. You could add the Sydney Opera House, Uluru, a boomerang, rock art, Flinders Street Station, the MCG, etc.
Have you ever seen Geoff Achison's Goldtop with artwork by Jangala?

View attachment 8717

Maybe we should create one with a Maryland theme? We could include a crab, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, the state capitol building, a Skipjack sail boat, an Oriole (state bird), Blackeye Susan (state flower), the MD flag of course. Those who live here or have visited, what do you guys associate with Maryland?

Shawn:

I grew up about an hour or so north of Stevensville at the upper end of the Eastern Shore of the Bay and spent a lot of time swimming, boating, crabbing and waterfowling on it. I am down your way a couple times a year visiting friends on Kent Island and having crabs at Harris Crab House and The Jetty. Many, many fond memories over a couple of decades

When I ordered my Private Stock back in September I had that exact conversation with my dealer of a "Bay" version replacing the birds with fish, crabs, boats and birds associated with the Bay, but the cost was more than I wanted to spend.

Instead, I am really looking forward with great anticipation to what was ordered.

Last edited:
No screw holes for a back plate, so I'm guessing it's a JM.
There are screw holes if you look close. Maybe a special Private Stock for the event on the 14th? Or it belongs to someone in the forum? Either way, can't wait to see this one done!

...and input jack is in the regular core location....No pickguard?...gunna be a real fancy JM most likely.
It has to have a pickguard since there is no cavity for the electronics. The neck in front of it isn't highly figured from what I can tell so maybe not a private stock (although it is out of focus). The one behind it looks the same so it's not a one off. Ok... I need to stop obsessing about this now!

It has to have a pickguard since there is no cavity for the electronics. The neck in front of it isn't highly figured from what I can tell so maybe not a private stock (although it is out of focus). The one behind it looks the same so it's not a one off. Ok... I need to stop obsessing about this now!

Obsess we must!

Back