Private Stock Friday

The quilt top on the Blue Fade C24 is amazing. Not sure if the top figure is just that pronounced or whether the stain has been modified to bring it out but man! :D
Apparently it’s a C24 Retro and it’s going to Wildwood. It’s a Blue Steel Fade which is likely why the top pops differently than Blue Fade. Ah, the subtlety of staining and finishing these beautiful fiddles!

I wanna see more pics of this one as it goes through production.

psf210-1000-5-jpg.7600

I made a quick swing into the PS area just a few minutes ago to see what the Private Stock guys were up to. Some really amazing instruments under construction.

Vampire Rich sanding an outstanding spalt
IMG_1911.jpg

Is this pic uploaded in another hosting site? I'd love to see it clearly but PB have made it unclear. Thanks!

Ok, I need to ask a question. It may be an easy answer and when someone answers it, I know will probably feel like a complete idiot. What happens to the nail holes?!!? You can see them in the picture above where the top is nailed down to the body in the gluing process...but then are they removed during the carving process? This mystery has plagued me for a while and I know the answer has to be simpler than I'm making it. Someone?

Ok, I need to ask a question. It may be an easy answer and when someone answers it, I know will probably feel like a complete idiot. What happens to the nail holes?!!? You can see them in the picture above where the top is nailed down to the body in the gluing process...but then are they removed during the carving process? This mystery has plagued me for a while and I know the answer has to be simpler than I'm making it. Someone?

Nail holes? They glue the top to the body, and clamp them together....there are no nails involved, at least in the 9-ish plus times that I've visited the factory.

Two things are going on here. (Not pictured) When the top is glued to the back, small nails are shot into the wood on the outside margins. This is to help keep the top and back from sliding in opposite directions when the body goes into the press. The margins are trimmed off before the guitar goes into the CNC machine.

What you're seeing on the attached photo are holes that are drilled into the top for guide pins to hold the body in place and line up the CNC as it cuts the back of the body. Once the guitar is flipped over and the top is carved, the guide pin holes are carve away.

PSF210(1000)5.JPG

Two things are going on here. (Not pictured) When the top is glued to the back, small nails are shot into the wood on the outside margins. This is to help keep the top and back from sliding in opposite directions when the body goes into the press. The margins are trimmed off before the guitar goes into the CNC machine.

What you're seeing on the attached photo are holes that are drilled into the top for guide pins to hold the body in place and line up the CNC as it cuts the back of the body. Once the guitar is flipped over and the top is carved, the guide pin holes are carve away.

View attachment 7615

Yeah sure. You can't fool us. The plant is infested with termites.

View attachment 7615

Great, now I can't get another factory tour out of my mind...

View attachment 7615

Thanks Shawn! You are a wealth of knowledge my friend.

Back