Private Stock Friday

Good lord, that SC594 Trem in what, Grass Stain Dragons Breath with the stained Ash back :eek: wowzers!

Digging the DC594 in Aqua Violet - love the tubular quilt!

Blossoms rule!

Starry Night gonna be cool :D

What is that back, swamp ash?

If so that is beautiful the way PRS stains them. Can anyone comment on the tonal characteristics of this with a maple top? I would love to do this if and when I ever spec out a PS, I want to. My favorite tone is like an SC245/ Les Paul.

Can mahogany be stained like this? I know it doesn’t have the same grain but, it may still have a nice affect.

Last edited:
WanFlusteredArgentineruddyduck-size_restricted.gif

What is that back, swamp ash?

If so that is beautiful the way PRS stains them. Can anyone comment on the tonal characteristics of this with a maple top? I would love to do this if and when I ever spec out a PS, I want to. My favorite tone is like an SC245/ Les Paul.

Can mahogany be stained like this? I know it doesn’t have the same grain but, it may still have a nice affect.
ASH. Mahogany takes grain filler, but I've never seen mahogany to have annular ring grain like ash does. So you could use the aqua filler and black stain to get this color in a "doghair" vibe, but not quite like the body in your quote. That back is incredible, I think it came out quite nicely.

The ash/maple combo is more in the quack-spanky telecaster zone. The LP 2HB tone is all about the mahogany body and neck. Whatever you spec as a neck and board wood would likely have more impact, however.

That last one - wow!

And is that line on the top of the 7-string done like the faux binding? Taped off, not inlaid?

Back