Private Stock Friday

You guys made me go back and look. That’s interesting.
Looks like a carved back, but why rabbet so deep for the cover? Looks like a thinline-style body construction of some kind with the familiar body outline. I love the top and back binding look, man. SUPER COOL! And where does all that air lead to? ... ...

Looks like a carved back, but why rabbet so deep for the cover? Looks like a thinline-style body construction of some kind with the familiar body outline. I love the top and back binding look, man. SUPER COOL! And where does all that air lead to? ... ...

It's how they make a matching back cover if you also option a carved back. Simply has to be deeper wood to match the carve. The panel itself looks really weird out of the guitar because it has a pretty complex contour carve to it.

Interestingly, I didn't know until about a year ago that you can order a carved back on any solid body PRS, not just a HBII!! Of course I immediately wanted to order everything like that, hahaha.

It's how they make a matching back cover if you also option a carved back. Simply has to be deeper wood to match the carve. The panel itself looks really weird out of the guitar because it has a pretty complex contour carve to it.

Interestingly, I didn't know until about a year ago that you can order a carved back on any solid body PRS, not just a HBII!! Of course I immediately wanted to order everything like that, hahaha.
That's very cool! I'm not sure why the rabbet for the cover rest is so deep, but they can do it however they want. Might have to do that one time!

Ah... Thanks for explaining that!

Think about this, it makes sense the plate would to be thicker to give it strength since it’s a carved/curved surface. Certainly would add stability to the plate. Even with “flat backs,” the plates are cut thicker (than standard plastic) for greater strength.

Last edited:

Think about this, it makes sense the plate would to be thicker to give it strength since it’s a carved/curved surface. Certainly would add stability to the plate. Even with “flat backs,” the plates are cut thicker (than standard plastic) for greater strength.

Noted. The picture showed what appeared to be a hollow passage inside the body. I thought if it was hollow, you’d likely not even have a control plate. But since this does, why would it be THAT thick? Which makes me curious what construction we’re looking at there? I wouldn’t mind seeing more!

Hey everyone, I'm on a flight tomorrow morning to NAMM so no PSF this week, but if you're following along on the PRS social media accounts I'll be posting some of the special Private Stock guitars we'll have with us at the show!

Hunter,

Was that piezo, 58/15LT 594 HBII you posted last Friday made entirely out of East Indian rosewood? I’m not a wood expert but if that fretboard has a tree of life on it then that’s probably the guitar the team is making for me. You’re not taking that to NAMM are you?

Hunter,

Was that piezo, 58/15LT 594 HBII you posted last Friday made entirely out of East Indian rosewood? I’m not a wood expert but if that fretboard has a tree of life on it then that’s probably the guitar the team is making for me. You’re not taking that to NAMM are you?
Wow, congrats! Sounds like one nice build! No pun intended ;)

Thank you. If that is the guitar it will have gold hardware and rosewood locking tuners as well. It’s not going to be locked away or put on display. I’m excited to be able to play it every day.

I’ve always wanted a top tier finely crafted instrument from PRS. I can’t say it will be my last guitar but I can say it will be my most cherished (excluding my first guitar).

I don't think they would take customer ordered PS guitars to a show. They make a few for NAMM and then sell them to a dealer.

Hey everyone, I'm on a flight tomorrow morning to NAMM so no PSF this week, but if you're following along on the PRS social media accounts I'll be posting some of the special Private Stock guitars we'll have with us at the show!

Safe travels, my dude. Have fun!

Back