Private Stock Friday

psf178-1000-10-jpg.6907

This guitar is absolutely stunning!! Even the Birds on the neck look great too...

As much as I love the 594 as an instrument, I don't know about the aqua-blue one.

psf178-1000-14-jpg.6911

The body looks great (despite being blue - would love to see an 'ember/fire burst with that top) but the fretboard makes my eyes hurt and the birds have almost disappeared too. No doubt the person that guitar is for will be over the moon with it because the quilt and flame maple is beautifully figured and even though I am not a fan of the colour in general, it really does work with the body and I would still be honoured to own such a beautiful instrument.

The body looks great (despite being blue - would love to see an 'ember/fire burst with that top) but the fretboard makes my eyes hurt and the birds have almost disappeared too. No doubt the person that guitar is for will be over the moon with it because the quilt and flame maple is beautifully figured and even though I am not a fan of the colour in general, it really does work with the body and I would still be honoured to own such a beautiful instrument.

That’s the beauty of this stuff - what appeals to one might not appeal to others. I just gave this guitar a glance the other day, but I looked at the neck a little more closely after this post. You’re right - at first glance, the birds did seem to disappear a little into the flame and finish on the fretboard. But looking at it again, it’s not so much that they’re lost, it’s that they’ve become more subtle and almost suggested. It’s more like they emerge from the finished neck as opposed to standing out. To me, that’s a pretty cool effect.

That’s the beauty of this stuff - what appeals to one might not appeal to others. I just gave this guitar a glance the other day, but I looked at the neck a little more closely after this post. You’re right - at first glance, the birds did seem to disappear a little into the flame and finish on the fretboard. But looking at it again, it’s not so much that they’re lost, it’s that they’ve become more subtle and almost suggested. It’s more like they emerge from the finished neck as opposed to standing out. To me, that’s a pretty cool effect.

Personally, I find that neck far too busy regardless. I think if I was going for something like this, I would have 'birds' in a contrasting colour - black or at least 'dark'. I am sure they look better in reality and if you can get close enough but at distance, they almost disappear.

Each to their own of course - we can all have an opinion on just a core PRS body colour - a Red Burst may not appeal to some and maybe some wouldn't buy it but love an identical model in blue...

psf178-1000-9-jpg.6906

Very interesting spec, looks fanned. Wished it had a full set of birds though. Love the inlay material.

By the way, does anyone have a rough estimate of how long it usually takes from when you choose the wood planks to when you actually take delivery of your guitar? I placed my order back in mid August and so far, there have been zero updates and the wood selection process hasn't even started yet.

Last edited:
This build has a 24 straight frets (they don't looked fanned to me) and I like the idea of 3 blueish MOP birds
contrasting with the dark board and whale blue top.

psf178-1000-9-jpg.6906

Very interesting spec, looks fanned. Wished it had a full set of birds though. Love the inlay material.

By the way, does anyone have a rough estimate of how long it usually takes from when you choose the wood planks to when you actually take delivery of your guitar? I placed my order back in mid August and so far, there have been zero updates and the wood selection process hasn't even started yet.

I ordered mine at the end of November in 2017. I didn't start seeing it pop up on the PS forum until about the May/June time frame. I took delivery in August of this year. It's a looooooooooooooong wait, but so worth it when you get the message from your dealer..."IT'S HERE!" I did go to the factory to select the woods though, so I have a bit of a different experience with how that process went.

I ordered mine at the end of November in 2017. I didn't start seeing it pop up on the PS forum until about the May/June time frame. I took delivery in August of this year. It's a looooooooooooooong wait, but so worth it when you get the message from your dealer..."IT'S HERE!" I did go to the factory to select the woods though, so I have a bit of a different experience with how that process went.

I'm from Singapore, and my dealer claims that I wont receive photos of the billets of wood being used because I didn't specify I wanted to do that. I thought it was a standard process where I'd get to pick at least the quilt top I'll get from a few choices. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm from Singapore, and my dealer claims that I wont receive photos of the billets of wood being used because I didn't specify I wanted to do that. I thought it was a standard process where I'd get to pick at least the quilt top I'll get from a few choices. Can anyone confirm this?

If you are unable to visit the factory with your dealer in order to hand-select the woods, your dealer can arrange to have a skype call sett up with the Private Stock team. During the call, the PS team will walk you through the wood selecting process and show you many options to choose from.

psf178-1000-9-jpg.6906

Mine! Wanted to do this build for a looooong time and Paul Miles was able to pull off the color.

Fanned fret. SOLID EBONY NECK. Turquoise inlays. Can't wait until we get it so you can see the back too.

It's about 10 months, give or take. Most the time is waiting, though - the build itself might take 3-4 months. So your guitar might start hitting production "soon". The neck is first.

psf178-1000-9-jpg.6906

Is that a 509 pick-up in the middle???

Think I have just found my ultimate 594 - the body colour is perfect!!!

Back