Private Stock Friday

I'm baaaaaaaaack, with another round of Private Stock Friday!

Let's start with a video, shall we? Here's Walter applying Fire Red stain on a killer top, although not a Private Stock guitar.

Guess that's what they'll be doing with my Special 22 Limited Edition Semi-Hollow Artist Package in Fire Red Burst... Due Q1 sometime... aCk!!! o_O:eek::confused::cool:

I'm baaaaaaaaack, with another round of Private Stock Friday!

Let's start with a video, shall we? Here's Walter applying Fire Red stain on a killer top, although not a Private Stock guitar.

Shawn..... at times that almost looks like the clip is in double speed!!!

I’ll be happy to take the F from those f holes! :)
psf168-1000-5-jpg.6694

Vampire carving a sound hole, with Rich providing moral support
View attachment 6717

At first I thought Vampire had PAUL tattooed on his fingers, “man, I thought that’s committing to the brand!”.

Rich doesn’t have a thumb on his right hand, was this from a bizarre carving incident and is he trying to put some sort of Jedi mind voodoo onto Vampire?!

Without having to tape up the binding/sides of the guitar? :eek:

That’s called PRS style cajones!:confused:

This isn't the scrap, this is the part we use to bind an f hole. We cut an oversized f hole, inlay the complimentary piece of wood and then cut the f hole to the proper size. This leaves the f hole bound with wood.
Take a closer look at the guitar Vampire is carving, it has an ebony plug. That plug will be carved down leaving the f hole with ebony binding.
f.jpg
vampire.jpg

This isn't the scrap, this is the part we use to bind an f hole. We cut an oversized f hole, inlay the complimentary piece of wood and then cut the f hole to the proper size. This leaves the f hole bound with wood.
Take a closer look at the guitar Vampire is carving, it has an ebony plug. That plug will be carved down leaving the f hole with ebony binding.
View attachment 6728 View attachment 6729
Cool technique!

So in this instance, does the ebony f hole insert start off the same thickness as the maple billet?

I should have known that -- there would be drill holes and whatnot if it was the actual piece being removed from the f-hole.

MIND BLOWN.

What I'm hearing is that there's still an f-hole shaped cutout (say...for use as a keychain or the like...)...;)

Back