Private Stock Friday

Wow! So exciting to see that come to life. That is the first hand-picked Private Stock for Eddie's Guitars.

WTF? ARE THOSE BRAZZIE HUMBUCKER COVERS???????????????

Nope! African Blackwood e v e r y t h i n g :D

I thought the guitar looked beautiful before, but that smoke burst sends it over the top!

So much more depth! Very cool. Would be interesting to learn how he added the burst after the fact.

Last edited:
Different genus.

AB - is a dalbergia (same genus as rosewoods). Used to be referred to as an ebony.

Ebony - is of the diospyros genus.

How about a special St. Patrick’s Day PS update? :D My Private Stock McCarty Singlecut 594 just returned from the smokeburst addition refin trip she took with the PS team and this beauty is looking better than ever!

Before and after the smokeburst being added:

309AA4A5-F934-4C1B-8D47-39760EFC6BBE_zpszauvqmv8.jpg

A couple new cell phone shots in various levels of natural lighting that I took when she got back this week:

0758D94B-9D72-41F6-8A8E-29202B08E4C8_zpsqlmlfy7x.jpg

95C170C2-4A64-493C-B046-7C58638A8398_zpskiykdfnq.jpg

ACB4FDFC-997E-40D7-85C1-1E6D025941B9_zpspccu6eko.jpg

F2F85C68-EC4D-4E03-9AE1-30ECBFB1B4AF_zpsfbvwfaof.jpg

5FF20740-B455-46F4-BCBD-826EB28644A5_zps0vafltwz.jpg

Happy St. Patrick’s Day, folks!!! I’ll take some decent SLR shots when I have some time and drop them into its own thread, but figured the color was perfectly timed for the holiday and it IS a Private Stock after all! ;)
PERFECTED.

any difference in sound?
Yes. They are in a similar ballpark, in that both favour the mid-high end versus rosewood. Tonally, I think my ebony favours the highs a bit more than Blackwood. I also find the ebony a bit more articulate - by that I mean more sensitive to attack and a bit more note separation.

From a look/feel point of view, the Blackwood is a bit more porous, but still feels much smoother than most rosewood boards. I like Blackwood enough to have it on my most recent guitar.

Yes. They are in a similar ballpark, in that both favour the mid-high end versus rosewood. Tonally, I think my ebony favours the highs a bit more than Blackwood. I also find the ebony a bit more articulate - by that I mean more sensitive to attack and a bit more note separation.

From a look/feel point of view, the Blackwood is a bit more porous, but still feels much smoother than most rosewood boards. I like Blackwood enough to have it on my most recent guitar.

Blackwood is great stuff, IMO. I would be in agreement with his take on it. Definitely seems slightly warmer than an Ebony and is a bit more interesting visually .

I recently got to play a super nice Lowden F-50 with a Sinker Redwood top and African Blackwood back and sides. It was stunning and it's been the only acoustic I've seen (in person) with Blackwood back and sides. Was really great!

Last edited:
African Blackwood is just awesome. Super dense, hard and stable. Smooth and shiny as a rock with hardly any pores or visible grain.

This has a solid African Blackwood neck. Very unique tone. It’s a Black Panther!
kEEDmYf.jpg

WYbDuOc.jpg

Back