Private Stock Friday

"Good Friday" has become "Bad Friday" with regard to the Private Stock thread. And it isn't even a Federal Holiday. Go figure.

it's long weekend in the UK Fri, Sat,Sun, Mon. doesn't make any difference to me I don't work despite wanting to.

Hopefully we'll get double the quota next week or Shawn will include something special

The factory is closed? Omg now where am I going to get my psf from,.? I may have to drink today, then I'll soon become an alcoholic , waste all my money on booze. All because you Shawn do not want to go to the factory today. Prs will have to pay for my rehab and long journey to soberville. Shame on you all lmao

Next best thing to do today...play guitar of course lol

Since I love you guys so much, I thought ahead.

Here's Rick A. sanding a beauty
IMG_2933_zpsd916b2d2.jpg

Rick H. applying some maple binding
IMG_2938_zps579046fa.jpg

Beautiful Phase III tuners all in a row
IMG_2925_zpsebfed0ef.jpg

Bucket full of tone
IMG_2929_zps06126b3d.jpg

Three little Paul's, sit on my doorstep
IMG_2888_zps2877877c.jpg

Last edited:
You played with us Shawn...well played, very well played Shawn .....

Custom amps
IMG_2903_zps23274ea4.jpg

IMG_2907_zpsb4117628.jpg

Another Dave C stain creation
IMG_2879_zps80ec526e.jpg

I'm Koo Koo for Koa tops
IMG_2876_zpsa0876c67.jpg

IMG_2874_zps498cfa6c.jpg

The Green Manalishi
IMG_2877_zpsa3ebeded.jpg

A killer production guitar awaiting 220 sanding
IMG_2885_zps4f921616.jpg

Pick a number, any number
IMG_2872_zps86f82c25.jpg

Since I love you guys so much, I thought ahead.

Here's Rick A. sanding a beauty
IMG_2933_zpsd916b2d2.jpg
That's some insane wood right there.
I notice some maple cut out scraps hanging back there. Out of curiosity, for PS, do they take whatever dye mixture(if it's a custom color) and try it on the scraps from that particular top to see how it will take to that particular piece of maple?

I'm going to take 4337 because it looks interesting and I wanna see what it turns into :)

That's some insane wood right there.
I notice some maple cut out scraps hanging back there. Out of curiosity, for PS, do they take whatever dye mixture(if it's a custom color) and try it on the scraps from that particular top to see how it will take to that particular piece of maple?

yes, there is a lot of R&D (for lack of a better term) involved with creating a new stain color.

Bucket full of tone
IMG_2929_zps06126b3d.jpg
Shawn, this is the 1st time I've seen the backside of a 408 pickup. I can't tell you how great it is to see that you guys have eliminated the pickup's legs on the mounting base plate. This is something that makes so much sense, yet you almost never see it on a pickup. Good thinking!!!

I have never understood why humbuckers have such long legs. Tradition? Anyone ever ask Ted McCarty that? In my Custom 22, the long pickup legs combined with a shallow rout for the pickups leave very little space between the pickup touching the strings on the high side, or being lowered to the point of falling off the ends of the screws on the low side. We're talking maybe 1/8" total adjustment range. I prefer it all the way down, only a couple threads holding the pickup on there, and had to go so far as to remove the pickup and ring from the body, set the pickup to its lowest possible adjustment and then glue the screws to the pickup because the screws kept falling off by themselves. They're maybe 1/4 turn of the screw from falling off. I can't put longer screws on because they will touch the bottom of the rout and hold the ring above where it can be mounted. If the pickup legs were short or nonexistent like these 408s, I could lower the pickup further or have many more turns of the screw as insurance against it falling off.

For traditional pickups with legs, drill small holes inside the pickup cavity to allow room for the longer screws. This will give you a little more travel when adjusting pickup height.

Back