Private Stock Friday

It's like Christmas morning... the excitement of waiting to see what Hunter unwraps for us today! whoo hoo

ViperDoc is spot on. Here are a couple of examples to illustrate grain before and after (I was too lazy to search for the thread that has bunches of them).
maple with a fat quilt - shifts just a bit in the fat center, more on the outer edges
CK_TreeWoodToGuitar.JPG

rosewood - huge shift, but I still like the result.
CK_EywaWoodToGuitar.JPG

Those are great examples. Figured maple gives the best consistency, especially when both sides of the blank look the same, although you never really know. Rosewoods, on the other hand, have zero figure consistency. It's more of a gamble, but the payoff is huge.

Oooooooo....can I play the "Grain Game"?

The grain on the "tubular quilts" came out looking almost identical to the pre-stain pictures...the cocobolo is pretty darn close too. Beginners luck.

Last edited:
Brian sent me a question about my in-progress order with just a bit of info about something I'm not ready to reveal yet.

I said, "Wow!" out loud. So did my wife. Although she was doped up a bit.

Brian sent me a question about my in-progress order with just a bit of info about something I'm not ready to reveal yet.

I said, "Wow!" out loud. So did my wife. Although she was doped up a bit.

Awe come on...take one of your wife's pills and tell us already.

Awe come on...take one of your wife's pills and tell us already.
Alan is getting a top inlay of a tyrannosaurus rex shooting a flaming bow and arrow at the moon made entirely of the amber looking stuff that they find the mosquitos in in Jurassic Park.

Alan is getting a top inlay of a tyrannosaurus rex shooting a flaming bow and arrow at the moon made entirely of the amber looking stuff that they find the mosquitos in in Jurassic Park.

And here I'm thinking it was gonna be something unique...*yawn.

Happy Friday and thanks for everyone's patience during this busy season! Also, happy new year - you probably know 2016 is the 20th Anniversary of Private Stock so some special things have been in the works. I'll post about that after these pics...there are some crazy tops coming through lately - enjoy!

8O4A0563.jpg
8O4A0566.jpg
8O4A0569.jpg
8O4A0572.jpg
8O4A0574.jpg
8O4A0575.jpg

Dude!!! Spoiler warning!!!!

Back