Private Stock Friday

Good suggestions guys, I'll start a "History of PRS" thread next week when I have more time.

In the meantime, here are a couple more shots of the Sorcerer's Apprentice.

A simple back plate for the electronics cavity, held on with just two screws. Notice the finish burn on the edge of the cavity
IMG_5071.jpg

The neck is still straight as an arrow
IMG_5083.jpg

The early handmade jack plate and just a glimpse of the 6 (yes 6) position switch.
IMG_5090.jpg

The most commonly known feature of the SA are the 27 frets on a Brazzy board.
If 24 frets give the fretboard 2 full octaves, what would 27 frets give it? Answer: A lot of notes. LOL
IMG_5057.jpg
IMG_5089.jpg

This epic guitar definitely needs it's own thread! I personally like the SA better than any of the other early guitars I've seen in the PRS Book. Two things that stick out in my mind. First off, I LOVE the headstock shape. It's more aggressive than it is now. And I'm DYING to hear that P-90 humbucker. P-180?

Do you have any pics of the top?

ooookay then. It appears this isn't as popular as I thought it would be. LOL

I'll just drop a couple more photos here and then I'll let it go.

The edges of the hand-cut bird inlays are filled with glue and rosewood powder. Notice how the modern inlays are tight to the edge of the cavity, with no filler.
The Sorcerer's Apprentice shows uncharacteristically narrow fretwire for a PRS.
View attachment 2203

It's obvious Paul was hand selecting pieces of abalone for each bird. The eagle at the 12th fret is made with particularly beautiful shell material
View attachment 2204

The neck heel is quite square by today's standards
View attachment 2205

The neck joint shows a sophisticated sloped contour
View attachment 2206

So Shawn, what are the odds of PRS releasing a (not limited edition) 27-fret model, a la this Sorcerer's Apprentice? I'd love to be able to wail away in Em in a Blues/Mixolydian standard form at the 24 fret.

Maybe even make it an SE model to start with, much like the only production 7-string is an SE? Would be an interesting bit of competition to the classic "shredder" manufacturers...

So Shawn, what are the odds of PRS releasing a (not limited edition) 27-fret model, a la this Sorcerer's Apprentice? I'd love to be able to wail away in Em in a Blues/Mixolydian standard form at the 24 fret.

Maybe even make it an SE model to start with, much like the only production 7-string is an SE? Would be an interesting bit of competition to the classic "shredder" manufacturers...

I've not heard any discussion about doing a SA model. I guess it's possible if there was enough demand. Maybe? :dontknow:

Et tu Mike'? :)

No, no, no! Im here to help the general masses and educate them LOL

I've learned there is much more to getting something from a company than just wanting it that is typically out of the publics hands such as tooling/machining, production schedules, board votes etc. Consider me a public relations liaison haha

No, no, no! Im here to help the general masses and educate them LOL

I've learned there is much more to getting something from a company than just wanting it that is typically out of the publics hands such as tooling/machining, production schedules, board votes etc. Consider me a public relations liaison haha

You're such a nice young man!

A little more about the Sorcerer's Apprentice

Paul has been working on the 408 pickup design for many years and perhaps the SA signals his first steps in that direction.
The treble pickup consists of two Soapbar pickups wound together to create a humbucker.
Paul also hand-made the pickup covers from a block of Lexan.
IMG_5059.jpg

The SA bridge shows an early version of the PRS Adjustable Stoptail bridge.
This milled brass bridge has two movable saddles that can be intonated and then locked into place.
Height adjustment is achieved by adjusting the larger screws on the outer edges of the bridge.
IMG_5086.jpg

Both the figured maple top and Royal Blue stain remain staples in the PRS line up.
IMG_5058.jpg

An early picture of Paul and John Ingram holding two versions of the SA. (Taken from the PRS book)
IMG_5096.jpg

Does PRS still own it? How does it sound?

A little more about the Sorcerer's Apprentice

Paul has been working on the 408 pickup design for many years and perhaps the SA signals his first steps in that direction.
The treble pickup consists of two Soapbar pickups wound together to create a humbucker.
Paul also hand-made the pickup covers from a block of Lexan.
View attachment 2212

The SA bridge shows an early version of the PRS Adjustable Stoptail bridge.
This milled brass bridge has two movable saddles that can be intonated and then locked into place.
Height adjustment is achieved by adjusting the larger screws on the outer edges of the bridge.
View attachment 2213

Both the figured maple top and Royal Blue stain remain staples in the PRS line up.
View attachment 2214

An early picture of Paul and John Ingram holding two versions of the SA. (Taken from the PRS book)
View attachment 2215

Back