Private Stock Friday

I'll get my "Retro Custom 24" - PS 5418 this week! Vintage Yellow w/ cherry back, Zebra 85-15 Pups and all the love the Private Stock team puts into every build.

Can't wait!

topPS5418.jpg

Another great PSF installment! Last week's was great for me as Wednesday the 8th I was at the Factory with Eric of Willcutt Guitars spec'ing a new PS, so I had seen almost everything Shawn had posted Friday the 10th, from just two days earlier, LOL!

I had a great day with Paul Miles, Paul Reed Smith, Eric Jim Cullen. I spec'ed this bad boy:

IMG_0075.JPG

A DC 245 Ted, of course!! ;) Obeche body, One piece quilt top, Sinker Mahogany Neck, Blackwood Board, will have the new 5815 pickups and a Stoptail. (Plan to do a Trem on the next one...) This one will be Citrus Glow like Kingsly's awesome DGT PS, with a Smoked Burst.

Paul M took us around to see a bunch of cool PS stuff in progress, including some amazing acoustics.

Paul RS invited me into his office and we played a new guitar of his he was proud of, it was terrific! I have pics of the guitar for my own enjoyment, but will not post them here given I have not seen him out with it yet, and it had some new stuff on it that might not be out of the bag yet. ;)

I helped Eric and Jim Cullen spec a Wood Library Run for Eric's shop, that was great fun, we ran all over the factory looking at guitars on the line to pick the finishes.

Ended the day with a nice dinner with Paul Reed Smith, Eric and Jim Cullen.

20141008_185027.jpeg

Thanks guys, for another EPIC day at the factory, can't wait for this new creation!!

EPIC quilt.

ooookay then. It appears this isn't as popular as I thought it would be. LOL

I'll just drop a couple more photos here and then I'll let it go.

The edges of the hand-cut bird inlays are filled with glue and rosewood powder. Notice how the modern inlays are tight to the edge of the cavity, with no filler.
The Sorcerer's Apprentice shows uncharacteristically narrow fretwire for a PRS.
IMG_5066.jpg

It's obvious Paul was hand selecting pieces of abalone for each bird. The eagle at the 12th fret is made with particularly beautiful shell material
IMG_5078.jpg

The neck heel is quite square by today's standards
IMG_5074.jpg

The neck joint shows a sophisticated sloped contour
IMG_5056.jpg

"ooookay then. It appears this isn't as popular as I thought it would be. LOL

I'll just drop a couple more photos here and then I'll let it go."

Please don't stop! In fact, a separate "PRS history in pictures" thread would be greatly appreciated!!
Most of us will never get to see any of these in person, let alone great pics with notation...

I also appreciate the pieces of history! I love seeing how the little things evolve when the big picture is so right to begin with. But, I don't always comment when I like something so please don't take silence as disapproval. Hope to see more of the Sorcerer's Apprentice.

Maybe for the historical models, it would be better served to have a dedicated thread devoted to each guitar. That way we can discuss the model without diluting this thread. Also, it will be easier to search for when you want to go back and re-read about it.

ooookay then. It appears this isn't as popular as I thought it would be. LOL

Oh, believe me, we all love seeing the historical models! But I didn't happen to comment yet, as I got distracted by work and other threads and other places on the Interwebz. So please, please continue with the pretty pics of new and historical works of art!

Oh, believe me, we all love seeing the historical models! But I didn't happen to comment yet, as I got distracted by work and other threads and other places on the Interwebz. So please, please continue with the pretty pics of new and historical works of art!

Yes indeed what shinksma said
Pretty please

I always thought staining burl maple was a sin, until I saw this:

MYM407-11.jpg

Just sayin'!

(I had to look at this thread on my phone to see that pic - stupid work blocks some sites...)

Yeah, I must say that is one of the nicest stained burls I have ever seen. It almost doesn't look real...

Sigh...I like looking at these beautiful guitars! Keep up the good work, Shawn (and others)!

Back