Private Stock Friday

PS 5078

A big thanks to Tina, Paul Miles and Shawn for this build. Customer placed the order in April, low and behold I was going to the factory in May so I was able to pick the woods. Paul found the perfect board for the Glacier Blue. Tina found the only figured sinker neck in the pile. I do not know who picked the inlays but the 12th fret inlay and the head stock eagle glow like they are back lit. When Shawn posted the in process photo the owner got a nice surprise that morning. Those pieces of wood equal to one very happy owner.

From this:
ATT54867_zps41fd93cd.jpg

To This:

attachment.php

To the final product:

100_9014_zps020a5df4.jpg

100_9018_zps97d3b7a5.jpg

100_9015_zps047a0a0a.jpg

100_9017_zpse8fe802d.jpg

Good morning everyone, let's dig into some pics!

That's a naughty bit of crumpet
View attachment 2180

So much goodness
View attachment 2181

Beyond this point there be Dragons
View attachment 2185

View attachment 2182

and bottom
View attachment 2183

Bruno
View attachment 2184

Almost like the blues
View attachment 2186

The Brent Mason top looks flat and not the violin carve or maybe my vision is blurred due to the blue godies i'm oggling this morning?
Thanks a million Shawn

A big thanks to Tina, Paul Miles and Shawn for this build. Customer placed the order in April, low and behold I was going to the factory in May so I was able to pick the woods. Paul found the perfect board for the Glacier Blue. Tina found the only figured sinker neck in the pile. I do not know who picked the inlays but the 12th fret inlay and the head stock eagle glow like they are back lit. When Shawn posted the in process photo the owner got a nice surprise that morning. Those pieces of wood equal to one very happy owner.

From this:
ATT54867_zps41fd93cd.jpg

To This:

attachment.php

To the final product:

100_9014_zps020a5df4.jpg

100_9018_zps97d3b7a5.jpg

100_9015_zps047a0a0a.jpg

100_9017_zpse8fe802d.jpg

Congrats on a beautiful PS build!

From this:
ATT54867_zps41fd93cd.jpg

To This:

attachment.php

To the final product:

100_9014_zps020a5df4.jpg

100_9018_zps97d3b7a5.jpg

100_9015_zps047a0a0a.jpg

100_9017_zpse8fe802d.jpg

Beautiful Ron!!!!

Epic stuff. Always brightens my day to see the latest factory magic. Thanks for taking the time Shawn.

Another great PSF installment! Last week's was great for me as Wednesday the 8th I was at the Factory with Eric of Willcutt Guitars spec'ing a new PS, so I had seen almost everything Shawn had posted Friday the 10th, from just two days earlier, LOL!

I had a great day with Paul Miles, Paul Reed Smith, Eric Jim Cullen. I spec'ed this bad boy:

IMG_0075.JPG

A DC 245 Ted, of course!! ;) Obeche body, One piece quilt top, Sinker Mahogany Neck, Blackwood Board, will have the new 5815 pickups and a Stoptail. (Plan to do a Trem on the next one...) This one will be Citrus Glow like Kingsly's awesome DGT PS, with a Smoked Burst.

Paul M took us around to see a bunch of cool PS stuff in progress, including some amazing acoustics.

Paul RS invited me into his office and we played a new guitar of his he was proud of, it was terrific! I have pics of the guitar for my own enjoyment, but will not post them here given I have not seen him out with it yet, and it had some new stuff on it that might not be out of the bag yet. ;)

I helped Eric and Jim Cullen spec a Wood Library Run for Eric's shop, that was great fun, we ran all over the factory looking at guitars on the line to pick the finishes.

Ended the day with a nice dinner with Paul Reed Smith, Eric and Jim Cullen.

20141008_185027.jpeg

Thanks guys, for another EPIC day at the factory, can't wait for this new creation!!

Many of you seemed to enjoy the pre-factory guitar featured in last week's PSF thread, so I thought I'd go into the archives and highlight a different model.

This is the Sorcerer's Apprentice from 1982. This shows many sophisticated leaps in design and quality over previous PRS models. Paul shopped this guitar around to other guitar manufacturers trying to secure a deal. Yamaha agreed to build the guitar under their brand, but Paul didn't feel the offer was fair so he walked away. Thankfully for us, he did. If Yamaha went into production with this guitar, Paul Reed Smith Guitars may never have existed (and I would have been forced to get a real job years ago).

Let's look at this beauty.

The Sorcerer's Apprentice (SA) has a steeper headstock angle than earlier PRS deasigns
IMG_5052.jpg

The SA incorporated non-locking Schaller tuners with the familiar shared D&G screw on the back of the headstock. No serial number.
IMG_5053.jpg

The headstock shape and eagle inlay are in continuous use to this day (although slightly refined)
IMG_5062.jpg

This photo shows the finish sinking around the eagle inlay. It also shows an early PRS string nut and the truss rod cover.
IMG_5094.jpg

More to come...

Last edited:
Back