Private stock build - color identification

Patrick Montgomery

Just one more...
Hey guys, I am putting together a private stock build and really want this kind of burl in this exact color. I haven’t been able to find this guitar listed anywhere to look up the color but it looks like some kind of glow. Do you guys have any ideas on what this color is called or where this guitar landed? There are so many purple variations with PS it’s hard to figure out. Additionally, is this just “buckeye Burl” or something else? I really want that purple spacey look in my guitar. Thanks!

m4ffHmN.jpg

If you wind up visiting the private stock room and you tell someone there what color you want and show them an example of that color, I would ask them to explain how they are going to precisely communicate that color to the person who is going to actually apply that finish to the guitar. (Then let me know what they say.) I'm under the impression that the Private Stock color pallet is not etched in stone.

If you wind up visiting the private stock room and you tell someone there what color you want and show them an example of that color, I would ask them to explain how they are going to precisely communicate that color to the person who is going to actually apply that finish to the guitar. (Then let me know what they say.) I'm under the impression that the Private Stock color pallet is not etched in stone.
Unfortunately I have to do it all through my dealer so I am trying to be as specific as possible and include pictures. They’re still not letting anyone visit as far as I have been told.

Unfortunately I have to do it all through my dealer so I am trying to be as specific as possible and include pictures. They’re still not letting anyone visit as far as I have been told.

That is some seriously groovy looking purple there! I hope you receive the results you are looking for.

That looks like a color that might have been developed around the time Northern Lights came about. I want to say the unofficial name for it at the time was "Southern Lights", but the real name I don't recall. Looks awesome, though.

I would just give them a link to that first post, and ask them to pass it along to the private stock team at PRS. The combination of picture and your words should do nicely.

And no, I don't think that's buckeye burl, but it does appear to be a burl of some variety. I think the key thing you want to ask for is a burl with the least variety of colour. If you do an image search on "burl", you'll see some with some extremely dark spots intermixed with the lighter woods -- a lot of more metal artists might want that, but it won't do for what you're after.

Also, I just gotta say, cheers to that! I never thought of making any of my guitars look "spacy", but I'm a space cadet (two of my favourite bands are Pink Floyd and Tangerine Dream), so now, I want to!

Last edited:
It’s hard to tell by the burl with such tight figure, but looking at that maple neck and hearing Brian’s mentioned, I might put two dollars on “Replicant Purple Glow”.

DSC_3414_ace0d76a-5ffb-48d8-9aa5-c688cdacb47f.jpg

Found the September post on PRS GOW and Brian confirmed there that that burl HB was most likely one of his builds.
If so Replicant Purple (but in a Glow pattern) is my guess as they developed the color with PRS and got several builds in that finish the past year.

Back