Prince Dead at 57

Drew

Just confirmed.

What a loss to the music world. You didn't have to like his music to appreciate his awesome talent and impact.

He was a MONSTER player too, although that was overshadowed by a lot of other things about him.

So sad to hear!!! I grew up dancing and other things to his music.

:(

Last edited:
I literally thought this MUST be a hoax (not by the OP, no worries Drew). I just can't believe it. I was just talking to my assistant a while back about how I would love to see Prince live. Another one gone too soon, 2016 has been a tough, tough year. RIP Prince.

I still remember watching his superbowl performance on tv in 2007. He sounded incredible and ironically it was pouring rain as he was playing purple rain. Some of my fondest memories were of listening to let's go crazy, when doves cry and other songs of his when I was in high school. Sadly, I never had the chance to see him in concert.

Someone on Twitter summed it up best - "Prince?! This year can f*ck right off."

I was late to the Prince party, but man, I wasn't ready for it to end. He was still pumping out music, and best of all, he seemed to be opening up just a bit about himself. He was due to release a memoir next year. Aside from being just a monster musician himself, some of the guitar players in his band - Donna Grantis, Mike Scott, Wendy Melvoin.

I only got to see him once, and he put the guitar away about halfway through (after "Purple Rain"), but what a show. I'd have loved to see him again, especially with ThirdEyeGirl, who'd really seemed to give him a kick.

The Super Bowl show mentioned above was dynamite - I'd have loved an official release of that. I'd settle for an unofficial release - it's just awesome.

And that clip from the Harrison show - breathtaking.

Do yourself a favor - there's a podcast called No Guitar Is Safe. There's an ep with Mike Scott where he tells a lot of great Prince stories. Well worth an hour of your time.

RIP, Prince.

Way too early in his life for this to happen. He always did a fantastic job performing, besides the writing, playing different instruments, and raw talent thing. I am sad...

This reminds me of the old adage "be careful what you wish for". Studies show that musicians do tend to die young, not ostly in their 20s and 30ss but in their 50s and 60s. Why that should be who knows. Of course their music lives on.

Monster talent. I wasn't always a fan of his music but like all good stuff eventually it breaks you down and you just have to listen. Then you discover he could play guitar and a lot of other instruments incredibly well. Truly a loss for music on this earth.

Back