Preventing Blue Fading

Wylie

So I just recently read all the threads about blue finishes fading, and as of now, my two blue PRSi live in their cases. (I figure Les was right about 53/10’s, he’s probably right about this). Here’s my question though: It’s likely that sometime in the new year I’ll get to play some daytime outdoor gigs, on a potentially very sunny stage. I’m wondering if even a few hours of sunlight is likely to cause my finishes to fade? I won’t lose sleep over a little aging, but that “deep blue to nearly white/natural” thing we’ve seen here would be pretty devastating (to me; I totally respect those who prefer that look!) Thoughts/guidance/experiences? Thanks in advance!

This is just my opinion, but I'd play them and case them as much as possible and if they fade too much to your liking and you really like/want to keep them, I'd just have them refinished when needed.

So I just recently read all the threads about blue finishes fading, and as of now, my two blue PRSi live in their cases. (I figure Les was right about 53/10’s, he’s probably right about this). Here’s my question though: It’s likely that sometime in the new year I’ll get to play some daytime outdoor gigs, on a potentially very sunny stage. I’m wondering if even a few hours of sunlight is likely to cause my finishes to fade. I won’t lose sleep over a bit of aging, but that “deep blue to nearly white/natural” thing we’ve seen here would be devastating (to me; I respect those who prefer that look!) Thoughts/guidance/experiences? I appreciate any help you can provide.
I'm sure there are more knowledgeable people on this subject but I would look to or at least research UV protection care products. Some car waxes claimed to have a UV protection

Just minimize direct sunlight, keep it in the case when not in use. UV not only fades the finish , it will eventually eat up the plastic parts too .
Direct sun during a gig isn't something to worry about too much.

Just minimize direct sunlight, keep it in the case when not in use. UV not only fades the finish , it will eventually eat up the plastic parts too .
Direct sun during a gig isn't something to worry about too much.
That’s good to hear! Sounds like maybe it’s more a concern with regular prolonged exposure than occasional exposure. That’s encouraging, thank you!

This is just my opinion, but I'd play them and case them as much as possible and if they fade too much to your liking and you really like/want to keep them, I'd just have them refinished when needed.
That’s a good point; it’s not like the fade is irreversible if it really comes down to it. Thanks!

I'm sure there are more knowledgeable people on this subject but I would look to or at least research UV protection care products. Some car waxes claimed to have a UV protection
Yeah, it seems like that was explored and shot down on one of the other threads, but I appreciate the suggestion. I hope PRS eventually cracks that nut and finds a way to build some protection in.

Last edited:
Keep them in the sun for recharging.

cM62LE2.jpg

I don't let any of my guitars set in the direct sunlight regardless of the color. When playing outside gigs I make sure they are all in the shade. The sun can heat them up really fast. I live in South Florida so the sun can be a real threat to all of my gear. I don't worry about the exposure while playing. I don't play where I have to stand in the direct sun so my guitar won't get exposed to it either.

The sun here is so strong that the cushions on my patio furniture have faded and they are in the shade all the time, never in the direct sunlight. I have couple of blue PRS. I have not noticed any fading in them. I keep them in the cases and out of direct sunlight.

I don't let any of my guitars set in the direct sunlight regardless of the color. When playing outside gigs I make sure they are all in the shade. The sun can heat them up really fast. I live in South Florida so the sun can be a real threat to all of my gear. I don't worry about the exposure while playing. I don't play where I have to stand in the direct sun so my guitar won't get exposed to it either.

The sun here is so strong that the cushions on my patio furniture have faded and they are in the shade all the time, never in the direct sunlight. I have couple of blue PRS. I have not noticed any fading in them. I keep them in the cases and out of direct sunlight.
That’s great to know, and super helpful. Thank you!

Yeah, I’ve seen some cool ones, but a lot of them have seemed just a tad too dark for my tastes, like they obscure the grain somewhat.
ayup. waste of a great '99 10-top

Send it to me for a little while. I can expose it to the Florida sun. It will fade, guaranteed.
considered, but then i wouldn't have it :p

Direct sunlight is unfavorable for any instrument regardless of its finish. But that axe was meant to be played, so let her rip, keep in the shade AMAP, and case it when done. I like the idea of UV car wax, so long as its compatible with nitro. Maybe a UV-protective guitar polish could be a new add for PRS?

Back