Presidential Tone Report (DGT Standard KORINA content)

BostonGuitar

Former DGT Club President
So as you might know, a shop in CT (Gig Ready Guitars/George's Music) commissioned a dealer run of 10 DGT Standards in Korina with Brazilian rosewood fingerboards at a KILLER pricepoint.

Yes that is the PS I would order... Yes I gassed hard over them... Yes I entertained offers from two local friends for my MagicMcBurst DGT... Yes I considered whoring myself on the street to raise the funds... But then I found out (jetydosa) put a down payment down a month or so ago. He is the guy I originally bought the McBurst from, and we chat from time to time, so I offered to do a tone test for him so he would get the tonal pick of the litter for what his ears prefer.

Fast forward to Friday and I found myself at this cool shop, with a lot of cool booteek amps, and a really good selection of high end guitars(Fano, Suhr, Two-Rock, Tone King, PRS), AND 4 DGT Korina Standards. Two in natural, a vintage sunburst, and a McToblacko. All under 7.5 lbs. with one of them under 7 lbs. Stephen was hoping to get the better sounding of the naturals. I gave them the runthrough against each other trying not to listen with my eyes, though they all were gorgeous with great Korina grain, and all played remarkably consistently.

Long story short, they all sound REALLY BIG with very little compression. No lack for any frequencies across the spectrum. Even the lows were really powerful with the sub-6-pounder even having some Les Paul low mid grunt and push. All had that "Korina clarity" with the sweet upper mids it is known for. They all worked well with the DGT bridge pickups, though some of them not as well with the DGT neck pickup(true on most DGT wood platforms, though pickup height/polepiece adjustment might help here). As it ended up, there was one that had just a little something special going on, that little bit of "Drop Dead Legs" extra clarity and sweetness that jetydosa and I both have a craving for. Turned out to be the heaviest one(7.3 or so lbs.) which also was one of the naturals.

Gave the advice, jetydosa closed his deal, and it is en route to Atlanta...

Bottom line... These are a highly recommended guitar from your president, from a classy, well equipped shop run by a classy, knowledgable guy (Jon).

The one that is now not available:

Very nice of you to take the time and put in the hard work of slaving over some boring old guitars plugged into some boring old amps. You truly are a selfless president! ;)

Very cool. Love the Korinas!

Cool...... I have found the DGT tone translates well accross different woods.

Yes they are all 100% Korina bodys/necks, with Brazilian rosewood boards. Cant wait to get mine on Wednesday :D

Sweet! My wood Library DGT has a korina neck with a Brazilian rosewood board, sounds so good. It's a very lively neck. The notes seem to jump off of it. I'd really dig one of these

Last edited by a moderator:
(wondering if I was the first one to include korina in the DGT recipe :)) (oops... no, I know I wasn't, because the idea struck while I was down in the PS build area and spied a korina-back DGT in progress)

Cool stuff, in any event. I recently acquired a Gustavsson Futuremaster which is the same basic wood recipe, and gosh it is a great-sounding rock-and-roll guitar. I imagine this DGTSs are in the same ballpark.

Back