Prefer Dragon II to 85/15... am I going deaf?

emesem7

Been working my way up the PRS ladder (started with an SE, upgraded to a new CE and now traded it in for a used 20th Anniversary core 22, yeah would have saved a ton of money just going used core from the beginning...live and learn)...gotta say my new toy sounds the best, feels the best. Maybe its 22 vs 24 or maybe its W/F vs thin but I'm digging the sounds from the DII's and the rotary.

Are my ears starting to show their age? Maybe I'm not capable of hearing some of the 85/15 frequencies any more.

Dragon II are nice pickups neck is one of the best PRS makes the Bridge is a hot pickup that splits well, the folks that like them LOVE them !!!
Tone is such a subjective thing everyone get to there happy place a different way !!!!

Playing with a lot of gain by any chance? Dragon II's were pretty much made for (and tested with) Mesa/Boogies so they work really well for that.

I thought my Dragon IIs in my Standard 24 sounded incredible.

I like the 85/15 neck matched with my \m/ bridge because they both have a more "modern" sound to them. Just depends on what sound you are going for. I would totally repeat the above Dragon II setup again.

Been working my way up the PRS ladder (started with an SE, upgraded to a new CE and now traded it in for a used 20th Anniversary core 22, yeah would have saved a ton of money just going used core from the beginning...live and learn)...gotta say my new toy sounds the best, feels the best. Maybe its 22 vs 24 or maybe its W/F vs thin but I'm digging the sounds from the DII's and the rotary.

Are my ears starting to show their age? Maybe I'm not capable of hearing some of the 85/15 frequencies any more.

Can't answer that question without knowing what amp you are using.

Also, trying different amps may also influence your opinion.

While I’m not the biggest fan of DII treble pickups, I gotta agree with Rider and say the DII neck pickup is one of my favorites.... and I’m not a high gain guy, and I play through a DG30.

Reactions: Tag
I loved my D2s. Both neck and bridge, and I play clean 90% of the time. Very rarely ever use more than mild overdrive. My Dragons 2s sounded killer through my vintage Fenders, Matchless DC30, Bruno Cowtippers and UG 30 and all my Dumble clones! That being said, 57/08s are better pups IMO.

Similar to what others said, many gush about 85/15s or 57/08s in their Cu24 and I've had/tried them, but for me there's nothing that compares to the sounds I get from my '06 Cu24 with the HFS/VB and rotary. It's all about the particular guitar, and most importantly, the player.

Pickup tone is very subjective and depends on so many variables. No need to question your tastes. You like what you like and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I also like the Dragon IIs, but also like most other PRS pickups. My favorite seems to change day to day. I doubt there will ever be a one-size-fits-all pickup that everyone loves. Enjoy the tone and play until just before your fingers fall off.

I always found the D2s pretty good pickups. Rider has my old cu22 that has them.

I scored a really cheap set of 8515s last year and stuck them in my mccarty right away.

Honestly, I never really bonded with the 8515 bridge. I would say it was a disappointment but the neck was a different story. 8515 neck is incredible , I could tell I would love it the very second I played it.

8515 neck pairs better with 5909 bridge. IMO

Similar to what others said, many gush about 85/15s or 57/08s in their Cu24 and I've had/tried them, but for me there's nothing that compares to the sounds I get from my '06 Cu24 with the HFS/VB and rotary. It's all about the particular guitar, and most importantly, the player.

I would also add that the amp you use can make a big difference as well.

I always found the D2s pretty good pickups. Rider has my old cu22 that has them.

I scored a really cheap set of 8515s last year and stuck them in my mccarty right away.

Honestly, I never really bonded with the 8515 bridge. I would say it was a disappointment but the neck was a different story. 8515 neck is incredible , I could tell I would love it the very second I played it.

8515 neck pairs better with 5909 bridge. IMO

Agreed 100%, the 85/15 neck is amazing. I really like it paired with the uncovered \m/ bridge especially in the middle position. It blends really well and the splits are really great too.

Agreed 100%, the 85/15 neck is amazing. I really like it paired with the uncovered \m/ bridge especially in the middle position. It blends really well and the splits are really great too.

You are spot on. I feel the 8515 and 5708 neck pickups are incredible AND the split tones on them are incredible as well.

nothing wrong with Dragon 2's. They're good.
I slightly preferred the old artist pickups...wish I still had a set. Doh!

My CU22 has Seymours now though. (Ducking)

nothing wrong with Dragon 2's. They're good.
I slightly preferred the old artist pickups...wish I still had a set. Doh!

My CU22 has Seymours now though. (Ducking)

My 594s have Throbak PG-102 in one, and the other is laying on the table getting Fishman Fluence Classics. (Hiding behind you)

My 594s have Throbak PG-102 in one, and the other is laying on the table getting Fishman Fluence Classics. (Hiding behind you)

Have only tried the throwback in ES type guitar, but i'm intrigued.
I'm also a total homer for WCR and Wolfetones.
CU has Sat Night Special bridge (A4 kind T Top type) and 59 neck.

Buddy just was telling me online about the Whole Lotta Humbucker set in his McC and I'm intrigued as well.

As I've said elsewhere, kick myself for not keeping the artist pickiups out of an SCT I sold years ago, those were badass. As were the #10's.

Have only tried the throwback in ES type guitar, but i'm intrigued.
I'm also a total homer for WCR and Wolfetones.
CU has Sat Night Special bridge (A4 kind T Top type) and 59 neck.

Buddy just was telling me online about the Whole Lotta Humbucker set in his McC and I'm intrigued as well.

As I've said elsewhere, kick myself for not keeping the artist pickiups out of an SCT I sold years ago, those were badass. As were the #10's.

The Throbaks are great pickups, but they are really pricey. Not sure that they're worth the extra coin. I've got a set of Klein Epic 59s that go toe to toe with them for half the price. I just dropped some Zhangbuckers (Brownbucker and Pagey) in a Knaggs Kenai that are very good. Of course, there was nothing wrong with the 58/15LT that were in the 594s.

The Throbaks are great pickups, but they are really pricey. Not sure that they're worth the extra coin. I've got a set of Klein Epic 59s that go toe to toe with them for half the price. I just dropped some Zhangbuckers (Brownbucker and Pagey) in a Knaggs Kenai that are very good. Of course, there was nothing wrong with the 58/15LT that were in the 594s.

Those Klein Epic series are amazing pickups. I have Epic 62s in my Strat and they are heavenly.

Back