Pre-purchase questions. PRS or Parker guitar?

Neck "radius" is really meant to mean the radius of the profile of the fretboard. And the guy was right, in that sense: almost all PRSi have the same fretboard radius (10"). Nonetheless, I think what you experienced was the overall neck profile, and the Paul Allender comes with a wide-thin neck. The Wide-Thin will have a width (across the strings) that is wider than your typical Gibson or Fender, but will be thinner depth-wise (fretboard through to back of neck) than Gs or Fs. PRSi come in different flavors of neck profiles, such as wide-fat (same width as the Paul Allender, but a thicker depth, more like a 50s Gibson), or another current profile called Pattern Regular that comes on the S2 models, which is a bit narrower than the Paul Allender, more Fender-like, I guess (don't know, haven't played a Pattern Regular neck).

A lot of relevant information here, thanks!

But I think you'll find all PRSi have meatier necks than the Paul Gilbert Ibanez model you have been using. From what I can see online, that neck (a Wizard-style neck?) would be about the same width, maybe a touch thinner, than any PRS neck, but the thickness/depth would be much thinner than even a wide-thin neck.

If you don't think you'll like a neck thicker than the Ibanez, you probably won't get along with PRSi, AFAICT.

Hope that helps...

Well, I've took some pictures of the Paul Gilbert I've been playing for the past 20 years (bad lighting... sorry about that...), and yes, it's a thin neck compared to most of the stuff out there. So I guess I've gotten used to this thin neck feeling, although I'm not a fast shredder or anything like that. Everything else will seem a bit bulky to me now.

pg1.jpg

pg2.jpg

pg3.jpg

pg4.jpg

I don't think it's a deal breaker, though. It's probably more of a matter of taste and getting used to it, I guess.
Since I will not selling my Paul Gilbert, I don't mind having something a little bit different. In fact, that's the general idea. A good and somewhat different guitar than what I have now will probably push me to play a bit differently too, and who knows where that will lead (besides inevitable arguments about budgets and an eventual divorce... ;) ).

Im very curious what the comments were like about prs on the parker forum good and bad.

Well, we're all adults here, I don't think anyone would actually mind if you took a peak for yourself ;)

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php/topic,15650.0.html

I'll probably have to apologize every forum member (on both sides of the fence) for double posting like this.
But reading both arguments from different players like yourselves is helping me build a better image of these instruments.

Also, the Wide Thin neck is not wider than Gibson or modern Fender. All three are 1 11/16" at the nut. The PRS Regular profile is a touch narrower, but not as narrow as vintage Fender.

Interesting! To my hands, my PRSi (all WF or WT profiles) all feel a bit wider than my Gibson LP Deluxe, and even wider still than my Fender/Squier MIM Strat - but that is a good thing for me, because I have thick fingers. I'll need to get out my calipers this weekend and see what is fooling my hands...

(well, except the 7-string, which is even wider, duh)

Interesting! To my hands, my PRSi (all WF or WT profiles) all feel a bit wider than my Gibson LP Deluxe, and even wider still than my Fender/Squier MIM Strat - but that is a good thing for me, because I have thick fingers. I'll need to get out my calipers this weekend and see what is fooling my hands...

The Squier may be 1 5/8".

IMHO... I can't stand Parker guitars. I've played a few, and I always felt like it was going to snap in half. Plus, they're ugly.

IMHO... I can't stand Parker guitars. I've played a few, and I always felt like it was going to snap in half. Plus, they're ugly.

It's not that I can't stand them, but I don't like them either. Too radical a shape for me but if someone wants something really different then by all means go for it. To me it's like the fashion industry. Yeah, in the 70's folks wore some pretty crazy stuff but the classics are always in style. The PRS shape is like the classics clothes and the Parker is like 70's plaid IMO. But I also think that about 80's pointy headstocks so there you go.

When I look at Parker price tags I think they sure better be good players because they don't look like they are worth it. I'm glad to hear that they do play well. I still don't want one.

FlCwuGIccremmnUuajBUU4rns7yimnelJ2por2SZaFA=w1143-h857-no

Quite nice topic.

As you could see quickly, I´ve got several and absolutely different models in my small collection (allright, all have got a trem).

My first quality guitar is a Duesenberg/Rockinger Rudvog model (Only 5 guitars were manufactured over all. I got the only swamp ash body. The other were made of mahogany. In 2009/10 I changed from a pair of passive pickups (Rockinger Rat SC and Seymour Duncan SH-4 Zebra to active EMG SA and EMG 89). It came to me in 1995.
Having the money to buy an "expensive" guitar I was about to achieve a second hand CU 24 in 2000. It was sold in my wider circle of friends.
But by accident I was too slow with my decision. A (1995; it´s said today that Ken Parker build his guitars to that time personally) Parker Fly Deluxe was sold aswell.
No PRS but a Parker. Why not.

I still like the guitar because of it´s lightness and one-of-a-kind (but polarizing) shape. There is a cliché that Parker guitars sound aseptic. But that is crap information.
In 2011 I bought my PRS (In 2012 I purchased an Ibanez RG 570 CTAM (build in 1995...) and a Legend Strat copy (It was modified by a friend of mine who´s a dentist to a copy of a Fender Deluxe Lone Star Strat RW. His nick is Max Mauluff and because of his profession I call the guitar Dentacaster). In 2013 I ordered a custom made hollow body at an Austrian luthier.

Comparing piezos there is no difference in sound produced by a carbon reinforced neck with a carbon fretboard and poplar body Parker or a full maple body and neck (ebony fretboard) provided hollow body guitar.

I bought the PRS 513 blind - without testing the neck shape (pattern regular). Unboxing the guitar I felt being at home. The same with the Linus (hollow body, the neck was shaped to a wide fat profile).

The Duesenberg/Rockinger, the Dentacaster, the RG and the Fly have - speaking in PRS words - wide thin necks (Ibanez: Super Wizzard).

Being honest: I´m not a guy who seeks for THE tone. All guitars (but the Parker) are capable to produce singlecoil sounds (by real SCs or coil tap function), in general they are all humbucker guitars.

Playing high gain there isn´t much differences. Switching to crunch or clean there are shades in the produced sound, indeed.

The haptic aspect is core in my opinion, which means the neck shape. I prefer my PRS and the Linus over the other flat and wide necks. Therefore my other guitars rest more time in the stand than being played.

I recorded all my guitars with the same crunch lick for comparison to a friend´s ears. He likes the sound of my PRS most.

Come to a conclusion: Parker guitars have an extraordinary shape which is not anybody´s favour, indeed. Like it or hate it.
Buying second hand, you´ll get a high quality guitar, a flexible soundmachine.
My Parker´s lacquer tends to crack - Les Paul aficionados know that this is a counter cut-off frequency behaviour... And so it´s with Parkers in general.
I saw a couple of second hand offered in local guitar centers or at ebay proving that right.
And there is only one neck shape of course.

Even Adrian Belew is a prominent player of Parker in my eyes the peak of such avantgarde style guitars has passed.
Which makes them cheap on the other hand ´cause of low demand.

The design of a PRS is timeless.
If you choose no fashion colour you won´t get sick in future.

Laying my proposal to core line PRSi: First you have to question yourself which are your necessary specs (Pickup layout, trem or not, 22 or 24 frets, piezo...)
Second question: Which neck shape. Go to your local GC and make a haptic check... You must feel comfortable about playing that neck in all positions on the fretboard.
Third: Colour.

Coming to a conclusion: Go, get a PRS. The risk is low that you´ll have regrets in future, lower loss in value that a Parker.

I was an Ibanez player for years and used primarily the s series of necks. My daughter also plays an s series however she likes the thickness of the DGT neck . People often have a neck choice because they tend to grab the neck rather then only have the thumb half way up. I tend to not use my thumb to anchor. Proper posture is key ....

My take. Get the Prs ..better resale if you don't like it. Haha I highly doubt you won't like it. You'll be an addict just like the rest of us lol

Having owned a Parker, I can say that the design philosophies are different between Parker and PRS. Parker was always and to a certain extent still is designed as a gigging musicians axe. If you only wanted to lug one guitar to a gig that could reasonably replicate everything in your arsenal, the Parker was/is it. The extreme light weight on most models plays into that too as do the stainless frets. Its almost ergonomic perfection. 3 Hours with a Fly or Nite Fly strapped to you wasn't any chore. That being said, Parkers generally have no voice of their own. They can be very sterile. Thus, I never hear of anyone ever writing music on them. But, people who perform regularly swear by them as performance instruments. It all depends on how you intend to use it. A hobbyist who doesn't want a large collection but just wants one thing that can do many styles might gravitate to a Parker. Pure tone hounds will go the PRS route.

Excellent post.

"That being said, Parkers generally have no voice of their own. They can be very sterile. Thus, I never hear of anyone ever writing music on them."

Do they sound sterile?! I bet nobody will pass a blind randomized test discovering a Parker.

Sound depends on the type of the PU, electrical restistance, the position of the PUs, the distance between top of PU and string, string gauge, maybe the the measure which has an impact on the amplitude of the oscilliating string, and don´t forget the amplification set-up, the
armada of padels and devices between the guitar and the amp... And the player plays uses the same force of impact strumming the strings, the same contact position of plec and string under labratory conditions...

Adrian Belew (I mentioned him already), Reeves Gabrels, Vernon Reid, Trent Reznor, Danny Lohner & Aaron North of Nine Inch Nails, Adam Dutkiewicz (Killswitch Engage), at least Adrian Belew and Vernon Reid will compose with their Parkers

I won´t take up the cudgels on behalf of Parker, but a statement like "Pure tone hounds will go the PRS route." isn´t science based, it´s driven by personal taste...

The TO has do gain experience by his own decision making process: Which guitar suits best to his specs?

Hard to argue with what Maertl says...

Having said that.... I can't speak to the particular comparison that the OP is looking for (never played the S2 nor the Nitefly). But I do have an old Parker P40. I always kept it on the basic premise that since I do some duo stuff on occasion, it'd be nice to go quasi-acoustic to electric without changing guitars. Problem was that while the P40 is OK doing either, it wasn't great doing either for my tastes. Blind tests are fine, but so much more goes into our impression of tone. Even though a blind test is more "scientific", I'm not sure it matters for what many guitarists care about...which is how they perceive the instrument...

I find that I bring an acoustic and an electric to those gigs. Even though the P40 could cover both. Something about it just doesn't make me jazzed about playing it. Maybe it's the pickups on the electric side of the equation, maybe it's old Piezo technology. I don't know. I thought I'd give Piezo another shot recently though, so I picked up a P22. I use that thing now even when it's an exclusively acoustic set list. Nothing beats the tone of an acoustic unplugged, but through a PA, the P22 sounds every bit as good to me as my Taylor. And in a rock band setting, I'm surprised at how often I add a touch of piezzo through the PA in parallel with the regular guitar tone through the amp. The P40 doesn't "seem" even close. But I'm not sure that if I put both guitars into the hands of a pro and blindfold myself, that I could pass the test. I sure can pass the test when I'm playing the things though.

I'm assuming that the Piezo technology in the Nitefly has improved over the P40 days, and if you're on a budget maybe it's a good alternative. Based on my experience, many who think that they don't have much use for the Piezo output might surprise themselves....and if so, the Nitefly is certainly more cost effective than the P22 so long as you can get along with its magnetic tone and its feel.

I´m not about to bother.

Purchasing a guitar is everything but not a scientific job.

The OP seeks for help. Buying a guitar is a summary of intrinsic (own specs) and extrinsic (our experiences and suggestions, test reports, ...) expections of sound, outlook, neck shape, layout, brand image... We are about to persuading the OP by our way of thinking of the right instrument.

Neutral facts are core for decision making process, not biased (When a note is pure AND good and which circumstances make a sound steril? What are rules of that in anybody´s ears?)

I want to mention my experiences of piezo sound.
My Parker and the Linus both have a Fishman bridge. The Parker has a volume and tone control (one poti with two axles), the Linus only has a volume poti (with a power chip on it, see picture below).

DSCN9087.JPG

Playing only by piezo there is no, mixing magnetic with piezo there is a certain difference.

The OP is in charge to make his own haptic and tonal comparison, sad but true ;)

I've played a few Parkers, and they were interesting, professional instruments, too. But for me, a certain richness of tone was missing.

This. Everyone I have played has had a cutting top end I just cant deal with. IMO, YMMV etc etc.

I get the fascination with the Parker guitars, especially that Piezo sound. The first time I actually saw and heard one was in '97 when I bought a Dave Navarro Starlicks VHS tape and dave used it for the RHCP song "My Friends," during the instruction, and then they showed him playing it with the band in the rehearsal area. No video from it up on youtube since I guess starlicks did a good job at getting it removed, but you can see Dave playing live on this One Hot Minute tour special that was on MTV below. After seeing him use it I was interested in one and did try one out at a Sam Ash, but as others have pointed out, it feels a bit fragile. I will admit it does play nice and after playing it a while I was able to acclimate myself to it, but all around comfortability wasn't there for me. That's not to say someone else may find it fits them like a glove.
I will say however that I'm a hollowbody player because the lightweight and the overall sound suits me greatly. However, after four years I wanted the hollowbody with a piezeo and it took a good six months for me to finally find one, so maybe you might want to wait a bit longer and even save a bit more and that could also open your options up a bit more as well while your waiting and saving.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, the Wide Thin neck is not wider than Gibson or modern Fender. All three are 1 11/16" at the nut. The PRS Regular profile is a touch narrower, but not as narrow as vintage Fender.

The Squier may be 1 5/8".
So did some measurements using engineering calipers.

PRS CU24 WT neck (2002): 1.70" = just a hair over 1 11/16"
PRS SE ZM WF neck (2014): 1.71" = almost 1 23/32"
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe (1979): 1.69" = 1 11/16"
Fender Squier MIM Strat (1994): 1.645" = just over 1 5/8"

So my LP Deluxe neck width does feel a touch thinner than my (roughly) equivalent SE ZM for a reason, probably too close too tell with my CU24, and the Fender/Squier Strat is indeed thinner yet again, as you suggested.

Back