Pre-1995 PRS CE24 Values

twinreverb

Evening all, I'm a new member here and would appreciate some help!

I have a soft spot for pre-1995 alder body/small heel CE24s. Does anyone know or have current values of these guitars? Blue book, street prices, private sales, etc.

Thanks

Last edited:
Bro, I am there with ya! The problem is people figured out how great they are so they won't sell 'em for $850 anymore, but they are still cheaper than when they were new! (taking inflation into consideration of course.)

Hello Chris, welcome to the site. I too love the early alder body CEs. Depending on the year, top, options, and condition, prices can range from $900.00 to $1700.00. Some people ask more but generally don't get it, even for early maple tops that are mint, rare colors, or really clean early serial numbered guitars. A clean `90 with a nicely figured top can still be found in the $1200.00 range without much problem. The market is a bit soft so if you're thinking of buying, now's the time.

I sold a near-mint 1991 CE24 in Vintage Yellow 5 or 6 weeks ago for $1850 plus shipping.

Last edited:
I sold a near-mint 1991 CE24 in Vintage Yellow 5 or 6 weeks ago for $1800.

You certainly got all there was to get from that one. That is a desirable color and IMHO 1991 is the last year of the "great ones".

Yes, it truly was a great one. If it had been anything other than a Wide-Thin, I'd have never sold it. I was even looking into having a non-factory neck built to keep her.

You certainly got all there was to get from that one. That is a desirable color and IMHO 1991 is the last year of the "great ones".

Yes, it truly was a great one. If it had been anything other than a Wide-Thin, I'd have never sold it. I was even looking into having a non-factory neck built to keep her.

Wow, most people love the wide/thin neck on a CE.

Agreed. The wide thin necks are most comfortable to me, but I find it rather easy to get used to other neck profiles if the guitar is a quality build. Just can't hold it against any guitar if the neck profile/radius is fatter or rounder instead of thinner or flatter than I would like. Every guitar I have is a different neck profile and each is good for what it's good for.

Tone is the most important factor to me and is the prime decision maker when I buy a guitar. Closely followed by feel/build quality, and looks, although important, come in 3rd because I mostly play with my eyes closed. A guitar that has all those qualities is surely a 'gonna take it to the grave' type guitar.

I'm very fortunate to have a few of those type guitars. The kind of guitar that makes you play better and happily does everything you ask of her; the guitar that's like your favorite toy when you were a kid; the one that you would rather sell a kidney than sell the guitar; the one with the unique personality and you wouldn't trade her for 2 new ones like her.

As guitarists we are supremely fortunate when this phenomena happens and we should always be equally thankful when it does.

Out of genuine curiosity, why do you feel that way?

Maybe not so much for the CEs but around 91 the Customs had started to phase out Brazilian boards and sweet switches. I personally feel that by `91 both the CE and Customs had reached a certain high level of quality and accomplishment in build that there wasn't really anywhere to go. On the CEs I liked the thin neck finish, neck carves, and small neck heel. I like the original one-piece Mil-Com bridge too. By this time the HFS/VB pickup combo was pretty much established, a pairing that works well in both the Custom and the CE24. It just seems to me that by 91-92 with changing those parts like the sweet switch and discontinuing the Brazilian boards (this may have been unavoidable with moratoriums on this wood now) that the guitars started already making the move towards mass production. The first Signature series guitars started around this time and they showcased PRS's guitars at their very best, I don't think that was all by happen-stance. These are just my feelings so don't read that much in to it as everybody has their own take/timeline on the high water mark of PRS builds. I'm sure PRS himself will tell you that they are building the best guitar now and he would know better than anyone, however I like the fact that the early guitars may differ a little from guitar to guitar and may have a little character. In all I just think that PRS got it right from the start, took a few years to tweak things and really had it dialed in by `91.

Last edited:
Wow, most people love the wide/thin neck on a CE.

I like the feel of the WT on my 90 CE even better than the WT on my 93 STD. It's perfect. The WT on my Mira is definitely thicker-feeling. The WT on the new SECU24 actually comes quite close, it's a great feeling neck if you like the older CE WTs I think.

I actually acquired a CE24 that is definitely "pre-factory". The only thing written on the neck is on the inside heel which says:

SK
24 WT
9 - 12

I am guessing it means Wide Thin, I was told the date COULD be 1989? Is that possible? There is no serial number anywhere on the neck.

EDIT:

Just heard back from PRS. Looks like mine is a 95 model. The original owner swapped out the saddles for Graphite and replaced the pickups for some Bareknuckles.
Is there any benefit to putting this back to stock> Not sure what the used market is for these to be honest.

Last edited:
I just bought a '91 in Royal Blue(sorry Sergio) for $1600. It is due from the FedEx truck on Saturday. I have been looking for about a year or so...there are plenty out there to choose from, especially if you do not have a color preference. I'd be glad to share my resources from my search.

I'll be picking up a pre 94 CE 24 before long. I've long desired another CE and I want an older PRS.

You might want to swap the saddles.... Other than that, rock it!

This is mine. It definitely has some signs of wear. Hard to tell what the value is on this guy. I see prices around $1300 - $1400 +/- but not sure how many are selling. I am really wanting another SC245 to add to the mix. I have this guy up FSOT on a few forums but I am in no rush to sell and certainly not "giving it away".

Plays really well and even if '95 isn;t a magical year it is still getting into that classic-age area, no?

Cool guitar! If it were mine, I'd replace the saddles. I'm not a big fan of Graphtec. They do seem to reduce string breakage, but I feel they deaden the tone. The big deal about the early CEs is that the bodies were alder versus mahogany. They switched in 94 or 95 I believe.

This is mine. It definitely has some signs of wear. Hard to tell what the value is on this guy. I see prices around $1300 - $1400 +/- but not sure how many are selling. I am really wanting another SC245 to add to the mix. I have this guy up FSOT on a few forums but I am in no rush to sell and certainly not "giving it away".

Plays really well and even if '95 isn;t a magical year it is still getting into that classic-age area, no?

Can someone tell me what difference in tone Alder vs. Hog makes?

Having had both, I prefer the alder because it's a bit brighter / snappier - which I think works really well with the maple neck. Mahogany is a little thicker - not bad, just different.

My all-alder CE ("the Alderman") is the "woodiest" sounding CE I have though, very cool and different than the maple-capped ones. Never played an all-hog one.

Back