Praise Music?

I played for several years in the band at my church. It certainly was good for my chops, just getting thrown into songs, keys that weren’t up to me, and trying to find ways to keep things fresh. They let me do it my way, which was cool, because, yeah, the “Protestant church standard” sound is way too real of a thing, I can only imagine how many Timeline units Strymon has sold thanks to guitarists in praise bands. The monotony of it wears me down even listening anymore.

I got passed over (sure, pun intended, why not) by the chapel praise team in college for not playing enough arpeggiated, atmospheric stuff, and while I still think that was a cop out on their part, I’m also glad I didn’t get forced into doing it that way. I play driving, thick, sometimes dirty stuff that puts the meat on the bones, so to speak. Like Needtobreathe and DecembeRadio. Worship band leaders don’t always like that… but congregations sure do!

Anyways, if you need something to add structure to your playing, I’d give it a go. Just don’t let them turn you into one of the clones.

I played for several years in the band at my church. It certainly was good for my chops, just getting thrown into songs, keys that weren’t up to me, and trying to find ways to keep things fresh. They let me do it my way, which was cool, because, yeah, the “Protestant church standard” sound is way too real of a thing, I can only imagine how many Timeline units Strymon has sold thanks to guitarists in praise bands. The monotony of it wears me down even listening anymore.

I got passed over (sure, pun intended, why not) by the chapel praise team in college for not playing enough arpeggiated, atmospheric stuff, and while I still think that was a cop out on their part, I’m also glad I didn’t get forced into doing it that way. I play driving, thick, sometimes dirty stuff that puts the meat on the bones, so to speak. Like Needtobreathe and DecembeRadio. Worship band leaders don’t always like that… but congregations sure do!

Anyways, if you need something to add structure to your playing, I’d give it a go. Just don’t let them turn you into one of the clones.
I grew up in the 90s with a dad in Christian radio. So I remember "the before times" when the praise music hadn't completely taken over USA Christian music as a whole.

Also, I'm not opposed to Strymon. I just wish that wasn't "the sound."

I miss guys like this.

I would like to serve in a church worship band someday.

Worship music calms me and prepare me for the day on my way to work especially that I have an emotionally and mentally challenging job.

I recently listened to these guys:

But it's mostly Hillsong:

And this is such a touching song:

There are also Christian metalcore bands out there who are not just about reverbs and delays.

OP, good luck on your venture! Thanks for your service.

I would like to serve in a church worship band someday.

Worship music calms me and prepare me for the day on my way to work especially that I have an emotionally and mentally challenging job.

I recently listened to these guys:

But it's mostly Hillsong:

And this is such a touching song:

There are also Christian metalcore bands out there who are not just about reverbs and delays.

OP, good luck on your venture! Thanks for your service.
I miss guys like this too. Definetly not church music but a fun riff to play. I play it on the d&g strings.

So, after messing around with a few different combinations, I think this is going to be my church rig. On the hd500x, there is more intensity to the chorus and Delay effects than what I have on my analog board. My Schecter is not only semi-hollow but it has a Piezo. (I haven't played out with that guitar since Christmas Village in December a 2019. I mainly use my number one which is a PRS Custom 22). And the global Reverb on the PRS amp will work a little better for what I am looking for than the spring reverb in my DeVille. Praise music is definitely a bit different than country. I think these will give me the tones I need.

First rehearsal with them is in a few hours. We will see how this goes.

20210916_152530_by_klbryanphotography_der4h4z-fullview.jpg

OK, so, first "praise band" introduction/practice down. WTF?!?!? God must have been looking down like "What is this guy doing in my house" ???

Aside from me having NEVER heard 3/4 of the stuff I was trying to play.....I supposed it went "ok" After a couple of run throughs, I guess I 'kind of" caught on [but not exactly]

So, this is what it is like to be thrown to the wolves.

OK, so, first "praise band" introduction/practice down. WTF?!?!? God must have been looking down like "What is this guy doing in my house" ???

Aside from me having NEVER heard 3/4 of the stuff I was trying to play.....I supposed it went "ok" After a couple of run throughs, I guess I 'kind of" caught on [but not exactly]

It will all work itself out, even if that means it was not meant to be! I got thrown to the wolves Tuesday night. The latin jazz group we see on Tuesdays was about to start playing, and their drummer is out of town. One percussionist just had surgery, the other one was late. They asked me if I would play percussion for the first few songs. I grudgingly agreed. Went fab (after 60 minutes I told them I was going to go eat my dinner), but I definitely was not there for that reason, I was there to enjoy others entertaining me. Plus, I found it quite boring as I was just playing the basics (not going to step it up when I am some newbie on the stage with them). Was glad I could help though. Anyway, I like wolves, we get along just fine, so apparently being thrown to them was not a problem. You will be fine as well Mr. K!

Props for trying something unfamiliar! I’ve been doing P&W for near 20 years and some Sundays are still that way since Churches of even medium size almost never have a static band. My favorite temporary P&W gig involved only 30 minutes rehearsal Sunday morning with all new people every week.

I miss guys like this too. Definetly not church music but a fun riff to play. I play it on the d&g strings.
Dude! Did you just pull out some Bride? I have seen them live a few times, have all their albums and a few years ago used to talk regularly to Dale. They have some really good stuff!

KB, many of the times I play at church, I'm playing with a Bluegrass Gospel group. Let that sink in. :D I don't play, or listen too, bluegrass. While I appreciate musicians who play it well, it's not a style I'm interested in learning. I do my part for rhythms, and play "bluesy" solos. Sorry, that's as close as I'm ever going to come, and I'm OK with that. While I'd sit in with bluegrass guys who were good, on a bluegrass jam, and I would play that style just to try it, I have no desire long term, to play that style. If it wasn't for being a HUGE Dregs fan, and playing some Steve Morse riffs, I wouldn't even come close!

What you have to decide is how far you want to go into this style (as with any new style). Do you want to fit in? Make it work? Do you want to do "note for note" and "tone for tone"? You have to decide how far into this you want to go.

It’s all about playing. Anything. Everything. Heck, I’ve played in country bands and 50s/60s vintage rock bands. I didn’t know 90% of the music but, as a group, we made each song our own and that allowed be to stretch and give it my twist. It’s very cathartic. Highly recommended.

Now, the church stuff is a different animal for me. Many many years ago I was a fill-in with my guitar buddies who played the catholic mass circuit around Indy. The drama was with the local music directors who were primadonnas…my fav personality trait with people that can’t find their butt with 2 hands and a Sherpa guide. o_O That turned me off from doing that stuff forever. Besides, my gear was at risk from all of the brown-outs, weeping statues, and spontaneous combustion I caused. I’ll take the smoking bars…

It’s all about playing. Anything. Everything.
That is kind of where I am with it. I am not sure it is the REASON I got into playing guitar. But, it IS playing, and it will be often if I keep it going. And any playing will help my OVERALL playing.

It is like tattooing for me. I HATED tattooing names and words all over people. But for a couple of years [before I opened my own] I worked in a shop that was more production based than fine art based. And though it wasn't catering into any of my 'artistic' ambition, what it did do was teach me some crispy clean line work and increased my speed dramatically. Because no matter what I was tattooing, every time I picked up the machine it was a lesson in the mechanics of tattooing. And with that kind of overloaded repitition, I couldn't help but to improve. I'll give this a while and see if the same applies here.

Back