Praise for the 85/15S

ArnaudS1979

I have just had a blast with the 85/15S neck in my Amplug AC30 with all controls on full tilt. It hasn't inspired me a song yet, but it was so much joy just noodling on a penta in D. I just loved it.

Also I have said before, both pups split with the tone slightly rolled back is a very special tone that is amazing to play anything clean or acoustic like.

And then some... Playing the beginning of Paradise City, on the bridge bucker, with just a roll of the volume on the guitar to go from the clean-ish intro to the distorted first riff is incredible. Cleans up very nicely. I had to roll back some of the treble but it was fun.

What do you guys think of these pups?

What do you guys think of these pups?
I have tried neither the US-made 85/15 nor the import equivalent 85/15S.

I would love to though! I fully expect that my next guitar, if it is a recent model, will very likely have them installed.

I do have a guitar with 58/15 pickups (and they are awesome!), but they are slightly different from what I understand (despite seeing statements that they are "just covered 85/15 pickups", so I will admit confusion on the issue).

I love the 85/15s on my CU24 30th PS. They’re terrific pickups, among my favorite PRS pickups, ever.
I think (but not 100% sure) he might be talking about the 85/15S pickups that come with SE guitars and some S2s? PRS needs better names! There's a difference between 85/15S and 85/15s. Don't they know they're going to confuse the crap out of us forumites?

Anyway, if the subject is 85/15S pickups as what comes in SE and S2 guitars (that's way too much to have to type every time, BTW), then yes, I have some in my new SE277 and was really blown away with how good they sound. Of course it could be the guitar itself also sounds great, or a combination of good pickups and a good guitar. And, I haven't played with the full band yet. Too many caveats. I can safely say that I played it side by side with the partscaster baritone I have been playing the last 2+ years and the new SE277 with 85/15S pickups sounds way better. It was a big upgrade. Makes me want to check out some new SEs or maybe a S2 Standard 22.

Glad to hear this, really want to try the 85/15 "s" pickups (and the core models, duh). The SE pickup game has been getting good since the SE245 pickups came out. I know some don't like them, but I think they're great.

If the S version is close to the Core version, I'd gladly have a set.

I recommend adding the resistors to the splits, like on the Core guitars. The Core 85/15 set in my Core Custom 22 are ridiculously good when split that way.

The thing I love about the neck 85/15S (and yes I was talking about the Korean version, but indeed if someone can talk about the Korean compare the American that would be most interesting) is how they hold their bass without being boomy / over powering. Not sure how much of this is to be attributed to the pup and how much is because of its position in a CU24, but that is quite a feat.

Last edited:
I wonder if we designate a new term to the Lexicon where we use 85/15SK for Korean pickups, and 85/15sC for Core pickups, or is that too complicated? Would anyone adhere to these non-enforced standards?

Back