Praise Band COVID IsolationVideos

DanJ

Hi everyone. I'm new here and was invited to post a clip or two of me playing my PRS guitars. Although not stellar, these humble praise band videos were produced during this last year while the church was closed due to COVID. Since I'm new here I don't know if a thread for this specifically already exists so I'm creating this to say "Hello" and maybe get something started. Enjoy!

P.S. I play all the guitars in these mixes, even if I only appear in one "window." Listening on headphones will allow you to hear different parts in the left, right and center channels.

You Say - PRS CU24 Grey Black/ SE CU24 Burst
1:50 Rhythm, 3:53 Lead

God Of Wonders - PRS SE CU24
Lead 2:52

Lovely Day - PRS CU24 Grey/ CU24 SE Burst

Last edited:
Enjoyed it. I’m always encouraged by the things we’ll do to maintain fellowship. Good job!

Hi everyone. I'm new here and was invited to post a clip or two of me playing my PRS guitars. Although not stellar, these humble praise band videos were produced during this last year while the church was closed due to COVID. Since I'm new here I don't know if a thread for this specifically already exists so I'm creating this to say "Hello" and maybe get something started. Enjoy!

P.S. I play all the guitars in these mixes, even if I only appear in one "window." Listening on headphones will allow you to hear different parts in the left, right and center channels.

You Say - PRS CU24 Grey Black/ SE CU24 Burst
1:50 Rhythm, 3:53 Lead

God Of Wonders - PRS SE CU24
Lead 2:52

Lovely Day - PRS CU24 Grey/ CU24 SE Burst
Awesome DanJ!! Thanks for sharing!

I really appreciate you taking the initiative to provide musical examples of how you use your instruments! That is after all, why we have them, to make lovely sounds.

Looking forward to the next installment (with solos higher in the mix)!

Thanks, everybody. I will post one or two more tonight.

Moondog, unfortunately I don't have control over the final mixes. Our musical director, the bass player in these clips, handles that. Jesse is a fine musician and we trust his judgement on this. Would I like to hear my guitars more? Why of course! Hah! But just as there's such a thing as "playing for the song," or track, there is also such a thing as "mixing for the song/track." In our case, the spiritual message is of utmost importance.Jesse does a great job of this.

@Moondog once more: We don't do much "shredding" but there's one track where I "open it up" a bit. Keep an eye/ear out for it. Also, the upcoming links will show a couple more of my PRS guitars. :)

Glad that y'all like these. More coming soon...

Two more, then it will be a while before we have more songs posted (We actually have a few more but these are my top picks.). Enjoy!

Here I Am Lord - SE EG Sunburst
NOTE: DiMarzio Fast Track Set - FT2 Bridge, FT1 Middle, Pro Track Neck. Nice, fat sounding SSS combination. Note the PC Screen. NCH Mixpad Program, top track is the scratch track I played to, bottom two tracks are the tracks I recorded. Acoustic guitar played by our bass player and musical director, Jesse.

--------------------

Personal Jesus - SE EG Sunburst/ SE EG White
NOTE: Sunburst SE EG same as in video above. White EG has Lace Sensor Hot Gold set, 6.0k Neck & Middle and 13k Bridge. Custom pick guards for both guitars by WD Music in Ft Meyers Florida. These had HSS pickups stock but I wanted SSS so custom guards had to be ordered. I cut the tortoise truss rod cover for the white EG from scrap tortoise material that WD were kind enough to supply me (WD do not make truss rod covers, at least not at the time these were ordered.). I like the matching TRC look so I did it myself.

Lead Guitar and 3rd rhythm guitar not in video due to time constraints when this track was produced. We were all down to the wire on this one, hence the pensive looks. I was reading the chart on the PC screen, camera behind the screen facing me. Unseen guitar parts were recorded using the Sunburst for lead and the White for the clean background chords. Bridge/Middle setting for all but the white "chunk" guitar on screen right which was Bridge PU. This is about as "shred" as I have to offer at this time!

Last edited:
Two more, then it will be a while before we have more songs posted (We actually have a few more but these are my top picks.). Enjoy!

Here I Am Lord - SE EG Sunburst
NOTE: DiMarzio Fast Track Set - FT2 Bridge, FT1 Middle, Pro Track Neck. Nice, fat sounding SSS combination. Note the PC Screen. NCH Mixpad Program, top track is the scratch track I played to, bottom two tracks are the tracks I recorded. Acoustic guitar played by our bass player and musical director, Jesse.

--------------------

Personal Jesus - SE EG Sunburst/ SE EG White
NOTE: Sunburst SE EG same as in video above. White EG has Lace Sensor Hot Gold set, 6.0k Neck & Middle and 13k Bridge. Custom pick guards for both guitars by WD Music in Ft Meyers Florida. These had HSS pickups stock but I wanted SSS so custom guards had to be ordered. I cut the tortoise truss rod cover for the white EG from scrap tortoise material that WD were kind enough to supply me (WD do not make truss rod covers, at least not at the time these were ordered.). I like the matching TRC look so I did it myself.

Lead Guitar and 3rd rhythm guitar not in video due to time constraints when this track was produced. We were all down to the wire on this one, hence the pensive looks. I was reading the chart on the PC screen, camera behind the screen facing me. Unseen guitar parts were recorded using the Sunburst for lead and the White for the clean background chords. Bridge/Middle setting for all but the white "chunk" guitar on screen right which was Bridge PU. This is about as "shred" as I have to offer at this time!
Thanks for sharing Dan! Great job!! As for the "shredding" comment, I am not using that word to specifically denote play in the rock shred style, just using it as a way to describe any enthusiastic playing! Similarly, I close most of my posts here saying "Happy pickin'!", and I know most people are not playing in that style, just a phrase I use that tries to portray my enthusiasm for folk enjoying the play of their guitars. As for the solos, when "the message" is not being sung, you are sending the message with your solo, speaking your praise through the six strings, so I maintain the solos should be up a bit in the mix, but whatever works for your group is perfect.

I very much appreciate you participating and sharing your music here! Thanks for the vids!!!

Happy pickin'!
MW

Thanks, Moondog, your feedback is greatly appreciated. Now I know when you say "shred" what you really mean! As soon as we have new material I will post it. Thanks for listening/watching!

Blessings,
DJ

Thanks, Moondog, your feedback is greatly appreciated. Now I know when you say "shred" what you really mean! As soon as we have new material I will post it. Thanks for listening/watching!

Blessings,
DJ
Yeah, sorry I did not really present it right. And like I said, when I say "Happy pickin'", there too I am referring to any playing of your git fiddles (aka, guitars)!

Looking forward to the next installment!!

Bright Moments~
MW

What software are you using to sync the separate vids? I'd love to learn this process. Could be really fun making some vids with our band.

What are you all using to keep time? Are you actually playing [at least parts of it] at the same time? Or are like the drums laid down first for you guys to follow?
In our case the drums, bass and a scratch guitar are recorded by our drummer and bass player. The singer adds her parts afterward. The scratch guitar is usually for reference and not included in the final mix. I play along to the scratch track. I am fortunate to be given carte blanche to play either a single rhythm guitar and a solo guitar, or multiple layered parts. Heh, heh - I take advantage and play 2, 3 or more parts (In one or two cases it was mutually decide to take out some of the extra layers parts for a cleaner final mix.)! Of course care has to be taken so that whatever guitar arrangement we end up with can somehow be recreated, or simulated, by one guitar player when performing the song live. At the very least, I have to decide what part to play live.

As far as keeping time, the scratch track instruments and vocal are recorded using a metronome click from the recording software. I get a rough mix of that to add guitar(s) to. Using NCH's MixPad, I lay down the guitar tracks.

These are sent back to our music director, who does the final mix. I save each track in MixPad as a "project mix" albeit with only the guitar part solo'd so that even if I started a track midstream the resulting wave file actually starts at "zero" with all the silent space included until the part starts. This way the mix engineer simply drops the track in at his "zero" and everything lines up without having to slide it around to place it in the mix. For instance, a guitar solo would have as many bars/time of resting in front of it before it plays. If I were to simply export the track, there would be no dead space before it and the mix engineer would have to somehow figure out where to drop the track in for the solo to play where it should. That can be tricky and time consuming, and leaves a margin for error that saving as a project mix eliminates altogether.

A different method would be to include the drummer's stick count at the beginning of the guitar track, so the mix engineer can match the stick clicks to his master mix file and sync up the tracks that way. The latter is probably the most commonly used when "phoning in" parts, but the project mix approach has worked well for us.

As far as what do I use to keep time? I simply play to the scratch track, no click. Although since the basic scratch track is recorded using a metronome, I can set my program's metronome to the song's tempo and activate the click on my software. That way, I have both - the scratch track and a click. Most of the time I prefer to play without the click, in order to groove better to the scratch track. On songs that have breakdowns where the chords are held out and there is little or no timing/rhythm cue, I activate the click so that I can stay in sync in those sections.

Hope this helps!
DanJ

Back