Practice

danktat

Award winning tattoo artist ... Amateur guitarist
So, that post by @ScottR has got me thinking (and mildly inspired). I can only think of where my progress would be if I were to do 800+ consecutive days of a minimum of 1/2 per day of actual practice. I absolutely KNOW that I don't practice nearly enough. And when I do, more often than not, it isn't really "practice". I start warming up with stuff that I ALREADY know. Then I go onto something else that I ALREADY KNOW. And by the time I do that for three or four songs a couple of times through, I feel like I did something, and kind of dig how I sounded (because I already know how to play it) and call it a day. So I never really sit down to LEARN new stuff. And as a result, I don't make as much progress as I feel like I COULD be making.

So, I put a notepad in my binder of music that I play with the band, to keep track of what I am doing, and am looking at [maybe not EVERY D*MNED DAY but] maybe five times a week for a half hour (or more) of LEARNING. It would be easier if I were to pay for some lessons, but in the winter, tattoo artists are broke as h*ll, so I will have to just crack down on the discipline and formulate some actual stuff that I want to learn but haven't touched on yet. Hopefully, it won't just be something I do for a couple of weeks and then fall back into old habits and patterns. We shall see. I will keep you all posted. (Even if I fall off the wagon) *sigh*

I tattoo for a living and I can't say that I DRAW every day for 800+ days. I need that kind of discipline/stubbornness ... Maybe I'd make some actual progress.
I feel that, too. I look at numbers all day, but I don’t do that sh!t after hours. I need to shake things up! Maybe I need some more ink!

So, that post by @ScottR has got me thinking (and mildly inspired). I can only think of where my progress would be if I were to do 800+ consecutive days of a minimum of 1/2 per day of actual practice. I absolutely KNOW that I don't practice nearly enough. And when I do, more often than not, it isn't really "practice". I start warming up with stuff that I ALREADY know. Then I go onto something else that I ALREADY KNOW. And by the time I do that for three or four songs a couple of times through, I feel like I did something, and kind of dig how I sounded (because I already know how to play it) and call it a day. So I never really sit down to LEARN new stuff. And as a result, I don't make as much progress as I feel like I COULD be making.

So, I put a notepad in my binder of music that I play with the band, to keep track of what I am doing, and am looking at [maybe not EVERY D*MNED DAY but] maybe five times a week for a half hour (or more) of LEARNING. It would be easier if I were to pay for some lessons, but in the winter, tattoo artists are broke as h*ll, so I will have to just crack down on the discipline and formulate some actual stuff that I want to learn but haven't touched on yet. Hopefully, it won't just be something I do for a couple of weeks and then fall back into old habits and patterns. We shall see. I will keep you all posted. (Even if I fall off the wagon) *sigh*

Thanks @danktat Keep in mind dude...I have absolutely nothing better to do everyday THAN practice...and it took me 50 years to get off my a$$ and do it!

Plus, I'm an anal retentive hard head, that will defy anybody that tells me I can't do something, I shouldn't do something or if I think there are odds against me conquering that something...it's f@#ing ON!!! And I'm 110% in it to win it.

Trust...It's a much better option compared to the sh!t I used to do, to burn nervous/creative energy. Or at least It's less harmful/painful for me and the people around me.

Honestly, if I was still physically able to do what I used to love doing (motorcycles, lift, mountain bike, draw) I probably wouldn't be anywhere near as committed to this as I am now. I mean it was either guitar or just smash sh!t all day, and this mean ginger I'm married to, would surely have killed me in my sleep if it was the later.

Again, I still suck, and I'll most likely never make any money playing, and I could care less. I'm just diggin the journey, it keeps me out of trouble and makes me feel like I can just dip off into my little room, and fly away even if it's just for a little while...and for me at least...that's really what it's all about.

Thanks @danktat Keep in mind dude...I have absolutely nothing better to do everyday THAN practice...and it took me 50 years to get off my a$$ and do it!

Plus, I'm an anal retentive hard head, that will defy anybody that tells me I can't do something, I shouldn't do something or if I think there are odds against me conquering that something...it's f@#ing ON!!! And I'm 110% in it to win it.

Trust...It's a much better option compared to the sh!t I used to do, to burn nervous/creative energy. Or at least It's less harmful/painful for me and the people around me.

Honestly, if I was still physically able to do what I used to love doing (motorcycles, lift, mountain bike, draw) I probably wouldn't be anywhere near as committed to this as I am now. I mean it was either guitar or just smash sh!t all day, and this mean ginger I'm married to, would surely have killed me in my sleep if it was the later.

Again, I still suck, and I'll most likely never make any money playing, and I could care less. I'm just diggin the journey, it keeps me out of trouble and makes me feel like I can just dip off into my little room, and fly away even if it's just for a little while...and for me at least...that's really what it's all about.
For me....it is the getting started. Pulling it out, tuning up, plugging in....blah blah blah...... ONce I have done all of that, I usually play for a while. But, like today. I spent NINE hours in the shop. Did an hour long tattoo and one piercing that took about three minutes. ALL the rest was down time. I have an amp and a guitar at the shop. Do you know how much practice I could get in if I had more discipline?!?!?!?

I majored in music in college so practice was drilled into us and some developed what I would consider an unhealthy habit of practicing too much.

I read somewhere not to practice any more than 4 hours a day. And for that maybe even only practice 1. The rest of the time you should spend learning about people, culture, and the world because music is an art which is closely related to those areas and the more you can relate through music to those people and concepts outside just "practicing" the better of a musician, and a person you'll be.

Now if you want to practice and get better, my suggestion would be to consume as much music as you can stand. When you find something you can't play but REALLY like, write it down, make that your goal and work towards it. You'd be surprised how much what you listen to influences what you play even if you're not thinking about it.

Sorry for the ramble but this is something I refuse to not help anyone with.

I read somewhere not to practice any more than 4 hours a day. And for that maybe even only practice 1.
4 hrs a day?!?!? If I did that I'd be cool. I am lucky to pick it up 4 hours a week.

That one hour a day seems more reasonable. But I am not even doing anything like that. I just put in 45 minutes or so....second day in a row....lets see if I can keep this up!

4 hrs a day?!?!? If I did that I'd be cool. I am lucky to pick it up 4 hours a week.

That one hour a day seems more reasonable. But I am not even doing anything like that. I just put in 45 minutes or so....second day in a row....lets see if I can keep this up!

Way to go man! Stay after it! Ya can't eat an elephant in one bite...right? You got two in a row behind ya, three is gonna be a breeze! Before you know it, you won't remember what it was like NOT to practice every day.

I majored in music in college so practice was drilled into us and some developed what I would consider an unhealthy habit of practicing too much.

I read somewhere not to practice any more than 4 hours a day. And for that maybe even only practice 1. The rest of the time you should spend learning about people, culture, and the world because music is an art which is closely related to those areas and the more you can relate through music to those people and concepts outside just "practicing" the better of a musician, and a person you'll be.

Now if you want to practice and get better, my suggestion would be to consume as much music as you can stand. When you find something you can't play but REALLY like, write it down, make that your goal and work towards it. You'd be surprised how much what you listen to influences what you play even if you're not thinking about it.

Very well said! At my age and with my life experiences, I have a tendency to feel like I have to get better at this at a much faster pace. I really gotta stop doing that. I need to just breathe and remind myself, that it's not a race...and even if it were...the finish line is when I'm six feet under...so no hurry. ;)

I feel that, too. I look at numbers all day, but I don’t do that sh!t after hours. I need to shake things up! Maybe I need some more ink!

Do it!

Road trip to Philly. It is right next to MD. Maybe a double up and do a factory tour as well.

Just saying

Do it!

I took this approach with solo work. My guitar playing had always been an accompaniment to my singing, however in the new band I have taken on solo work. It’s a completely different approach to performing and as Scott says break it down, as you have said consume music and the history surrounding it.

My practice regime involves taking small passages of the solo and developing those and then knitting the passages together. If a section is particularly awkward, breaking it down into 3-4 note bundles and getting my hands used to making certain shapes to familiarise myself with those.

This is the right way to go. And another thing to remember that I even have to deal with after a college degree and several years of professional touring experience is this: you're going to get sick of hearing yourself play the same stuff over and over again. But that doesn't mean the first time someone else hears it they feel the same way.

My practice regime involves taking small passages of the solo and developing those and then knitting the passages together. If a section is particularly awkward, breaking it down into 3-4 note bundles and getting my hands used to making certain shapes to familiarise myself with those.

This is also a great way to learn things.

Another great practice tool is a desktop/laptop program called "Transcribe!" Which lets you upload audio and slow it down to as low as 20% original tempo without affecting the pitch. It also has a pitch shifting function so if your singer needs a different key you can plop the song in and change it to play along with.

Another program I like is iReal Pro. It's a backing track app where you can download charts (they're free!) and it will play them back at any tempo in any key in a number of different styles. You can also make your own charts which is really handy for working up a solo or lead line as you can set it to repeat almost endlessly.

Very well said! At my age and with my life experiences, I have a tendency to feel like I have to get better at this at a much faster pace. I really gotta stop doing that. I need to just breathe and remind myself, that it's not a race...and even if it were...the finish line is when I'm six feet under...so no hurry. ;)
At my age and life experience, I mostly only strive to stay healthy.

But...some serious thoughts about practice.
I don’t practice that much any more. Probably less than half the time I play. The main thing about my playing now is that it is a meditation.

When I did practice, I would segregate working on one technique and working on a song. The technique was for me, the song for some band. When working on technique, I would pick one thing at a time and I would 5-20 minutes doing just that day after day until I felt like it was part of me.
Examples: B B King tiny leads - I did this 5-10 minutes at a time for months. Hammers and pull offs - I would play just with my left hand, whatever song I had in mind for 5-15 minutes. It might have been 6 months before I really felt that this was part of my vocabulary.
The longest haul for me was rhythm guitar. I could play chords, but never really felt like I understood this part of a song, so after playing guitar for over 20 years, I decided to try and get a handle on this. When playing I religiously played rhythm for every second song I played. It took me about 3 years, and I could do with a lot more chord progressions.

So...a long winded way of saying it’s a journey.

I have always thought "Moonlight Sonata" from Beethoven was/is a masterpiece of sound. The depth of emotion I hear in it is breathtaking. Now I'm no piano player, but I can at least count lines and spaces on a staff. I determined that I was going to learn to play it. It took me months of sitting at a 100 year old upright and figuring out what C# minor is supposed to sound like, but I got through it. I still remember the day when I started at the beginning and played it completely to the end. All that emotion, those dynamics, the passion and crescendo, all came out of my fingers! What a feeling of accomplishment.

I've done similar things on guitar, like "Black Magic Woman" (the Santana version), but I'm slightly more skilled on guitar so it wasn't so high a mountain to climb. To my point:
1. Pick something you really want to learn. It doesn't matter how hard it is, it only matters how badly you want to learn it.
2. Set yourself up for success. Find the right time, the right tools, and the right location and go to work.
3. Allow yourself to have success along the way. Smile when you get that first phrase, or riff, or verse, or whatever. When you get each success, enjoy it. Forget that you have an elephant in front of you to eat. Just focus on that bite that is done and you are better for learning it. Then take out the next one.
4. Finishing the song is not the goal. The only goal is the next phrase. Just attach it to the phrases that came before. Like sentences become paragraphs and paragraphs become stories, phrases become verses, and verses become songs.
5. When you finish you will find that your complete skill set has improved. Your timing, your dexterity, your ear, everything. When you can play that challenging song like you want to play it, everything had to improve to get you there.

It isn't practice, it's sweating pearls.

I can't play much of "Moonlight Sonata" any more. It's been too many years. I'd have to relearn it, but now at least I know I can.

Back