Potential NGD

For me personally, i dont understand why people drop the 5 way on the CE. Surely its part of the original inception and design, giving more flexibility in tonal differences. Different strokes and all that but like putting a three way on a strat.

I like the tones from the 5-way rotary, myself, but ultimately the McCarty switching is my favorite in terms of functionality. With the rotary, especially in live, on-the-fly pickup changes, I found myself landing on the wrong setting too often. I ended up having individual splits wired to the volume and tone pots and a 3-way toggle installed, and it's worked wonderfully for me.

However, I REALLY like position four on the 5-way blade on my Custom 24 with 59/09's. Something about that particular setting is just really pleasing to my ears. My only issue with the blade switch is, again, functionality...sometimes the trem arm gets in the way of my switching.

Nonetheless, it's great to have options and make the guitar work for you until your heart is content. :)

I bough an all hog ce22 a couple years ago. It came with a 3 way toggle SD pickups and no coil taps.

I did not care for the SDs or the switching. I put a rotary and 5310s in it. Much better.

It was a cheap purchase on ebay

It arrived. I've been waiting for some good light, as Florida weather has been somewhat rough lately, so pic will follow later on today. There is good and bad. The good (regardless of the bad) is that it's a keeper. Typical old school PRS CE. Practically plays itself. Sings like a freakin opera singer. Very lightweight for an all mahogany body guitar. No one does gold like PRS and the body finish is stellar. It is indeed a 100% front and back solid gold, which I've never seen on a CE. There must be very few of these out there.

So, now the bad. I'm going to throw the reverb seller under the bus a bit and he rightly deserves it. The guitar was described as NOS, brand new, not a scratch, and perfect. Well, when I took the case out of the shipping box, I was shocked to see oxidation and rust on the latches. I knew right away this was stored in a coastal salt air environment with no HVAC. The guitar itself was in better condition, but there is evidence of oxidation on just about all the metal parts, the bridge especially which has a fair amount. The frets have ever so slight scratching and pitting from this. Not enough to affect playability other than some slightly rough bending in spots. This will be remedied with a good resurfacing and maybe a very very slight leveling, so I am not concerned. It's still work I shouldn't have to put into a "new" guitar. There is one small chip on the back but its minor. I guess I should have tempered my expectations a tiny bit on a 12 year old instrument, but honesty goes a long way on reverb/ebay and I probably overpaid by about $300 when figuring it's actual condition. I'm definitely not returning it as I'll not find another like this. But, I may go after the seller for a partial refund. That's TBD. I did leave negative feedback which I hope inspires the seller to be a bit more honest in future dealings.

There is more good. It's going to the PTC. I put the request in this morning. I'm not a fan of the 5 position rotary swtich at all. It's clunky and the sound selection, quite frankly, sucks. So, I'm going to have them gut it and install a 3 way toggle push-pull drop in. I'm also ordering some Dimarzio Gravity Storm pickups for it which the PTC will install. They'll address the frets, set it up, and it's going to be a lifer.

Back