Potential New PRS Owner - Advice Needed

DS_180

Hi guys, 1st post and long-time lurker here. I have the opportunity to purchase a used 2005 SC245 goldtop. From what I was told and from given pictures, the guitar is in excellent condition: no dings or scratches, little fret wear, etc. I have little experience with this model; does the guitar look like a worthy purchase? What other things should I be looking for (where it's an '05). Any comments/advice would be appreciated.

I made a Photobucket album with pictures of the guitar: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Cool_Dave98/library/PRS SC245

Thank you!

Last edited:
We can't (per forum rules) help you with the price.

But, that is a nice looking guitar - great grain on the body back....

She's a beaut, Clark!

The serial number will indicate the year. If I remember correctly, the SC245 was not in production until 2007. Prior to that they made the Singlecut, which is similar but 25" scale. But yeah, the serial # is your best bet.

The classic Singlecut is a super-nice guitar, 25" scale length like most PRSes, and lots of power. I had one around that time. The pickups are really good ones that most SC players have liked a lot.

It's a great guitar, and its tone controls are capable of great nuance. Roll the treble off the neck pickup, and it's a great jazz guitar, and a great "woman tone," crank the bridge pickup and it rocks out like crazy.

I'd recommend it to anyone.

She's a beaut, Clark!

The serial number will indicate the year. If I remember correctly, the SC245 was not in production until 2007. Prior to that they made the Singlecut, which is similar but 25" scale. But yeah, the serial # is your best bet.

Agreed. A Google search doesn't find any SC245's earlier than 2007. Plus it would have "SC245" on the truss rod cover.

I've played both. Both feel great. The 24.5 scale feel a little more loose then the 25" scale but its not a huge difference IMO. The best comparison I can make is using the same strings the tension in standard tuning on 24.5" will be about the same as half-step down on a 25".

All the PRS I own are 25" scale but there are many 24.5 scale guitars call to me, I just cannot justify them at this time. ;)

That's a hot guitar! Good luck. Let us know how it comes about.

BTW, I have never really bonded with the slightly shorter scale of the 245/Santana/Gibsons. I'm way more comfortable on the 25"and longer scales. That said, it's really a personal issue.

If you have a good price, snag it up! You don't see a classic Singlecut in Goldtop everyday! And it's got the dot inlays instead of the birds or even the moons, which is pretty cool for some people. They just don't make these anymore.

The 25" scale would be classic PRS, bright and clear, while the 24.5" would be more akin to a Gibson LP. They do give a slightly different tone, but since most people compare both scale lengths with different pickups, that'd blur the lines more. The best way to understand the differences would be to get your hands on one of each.

So...I picked it up. Great feeling guitar, has the wide-fat neck which I'm digging. #7 pickups sound great, especially the bridge..

Pics to follow!

Back