Post your pernambuco!

Here’s another unicorn I’d love to get my mitts on.... I think Mr. Flametop owns this one?

5_EA6_AC5_B-_DB6_E-4865-_AAB2-3_AD1_C2_C916_FA.jpg
There was a brief time when you could build order a PS to Collection Series spec, ie pernambuco neck and celtic knots. However what’s extra distinctive about this particular one-off Santana is that it’s got the words “Collection” inlayed onto its headstock. “Unicorn” is well used here!

I don't think PRS had very much of it. It was only available on PS orders for a short while around 2010, then the remainder was used up on the Collection guitars in 2012. I don't think it's been used on anything since then.

I’ve still seen one or two pernambuco fingerboards from PRS in recent years, but no more full necks. Interesting fact - did you know Pernambuco is restricted and listed in CITES appendix II, yet the restriction is for raw timber and does not apply to finished prodcuts? That is, you could freely ship a pernambuco guitar even though it’s listed in CITES.

Last edited:
I asked many times for a pernambuco neck blank for a PS build and was told there were none. I even had my dealer ask Paul directly at a meet and greet, and I asked him too, and he said there's none.

There may be some blanks left, but they're not available to mere mortals!

I asked many times for a pernambuco neck blank for a PS build and was told there were none. I even had my dealer ask Paul directly at a meet and greet, and I asked him too, and he said there's none.

There may be some blanks left, but they're not available to mere mortals!
I guess that’s all understandable. In the wild pernambuco has been depleted and only tiny remote clusters remain of what was 200 years ago a huge coastal swathe in Brazil. It was never used for structural or mass construction, so you can’t find recycled stump wood. It was used to make violin bows and red dye. The CITES restrictions would probably have been stricter were it not for the influence of the classical orchestral world.

I prefer the tone and sustain characteristics of a pernambuco neck, but raw BRW does feel good to play...

You have better ears than me (and mine are not good). In a blind test, I wouldn’t be able to discern the tonal difference. And one of the things I like about both is the sustain. Therefore, I admit my preference has to do with feel and aesthetics. Purely subjective, but the look of pernambuco does not inspire me like BRW.

Last edited:
Wood and guitars vary, I'm just very happy with my pernie guitars and would seek out others based on them. It's all good!

Back