Post your metal Archon settings

Happy to help. I have spent a few days rebuilding. Changed everything from switching a G System in the amp loops to amps + loadbox into the AXE FX loop. It initially sounded terrible, but now I can A/B between guitar-amp-cab vs. the whole deal into stereo Atomic CLR monitors and get the same tone.

That is what I did in the vid, though I was still dialing it in. First part is through the mesa recto cab, after that it's loadbox and CLRs.

Awesome man. I'm trying to build a rig around boss es-8 with archon for my brother. i hooked up everything and i was using 4cm man it was noisy as hell. Everything was fine when i wasnt using 4cm. i thought maybe there might be some cable issues but they werent. btw im using emerson custom cable kit. i havent tried using 4cm again but i'll do it tonight. so far i think its a ground loop hum. i'll post a video of guitar going straight to the amp and then with boss es8 using 4cm method and just simply plugging the es8 into the amp.

Divide and conquer.

The power supplies between the Boss and the Archon may cause a GND loop. The power supplies for whatever pedals you hook to the ES8 may cause a GND loop with either the ES8 or the amp.

Start by hooking the ES8 to the front of the amp with no pedals connected. Check for noise/hum/hiss/buzz. If none, disconnect and hook the part of the ES8 you want in the Amp's FX loop. Same drill. This is where many people find GND loops.

One good option for power to reduce the likelihood of GND loops is a good isolated power supply. The Voodoo labs pedal power is fantastic and may be able to power the ES8 as well as the pedals. This would be ideal. If that's not an option, there are a couple varieties of 1-Spot supplies that work well.

If the supplies don't cure it, you may need an isolation transformer like the HE-2 between the ES8 and the amp.

Once that is sorted, then you hvae to plug one pedal into the ES8 at a time, stopping and debugging if you get noise or tone issues.

GND loops are a nightmare to solve, but once done, it's easier to modify the system later without problems.

Divide and conquer.

The power supplies between the Boss and the Archon may cause a GND loop. The power supplies for whatever pedals you hook to the ES8 may cause a GND loop with either the ES8 or the amp.

Start by hooking the ES8 to the front of the amp with no pedals connected. Check for noise/hum/hiss/buzz. If none, disconnect and hook the part of the ES8 you want in the Amp's FX loop. Same drill. This is where many people find GND loops.

One good option for power to reduce the likelihood of GND loops is a good isolated power supply. The Voodoo labs pedal power is fantastic and may be able to power the ES8 as well as the pedals. This would be ideal. If that's not an option, there are a couple varieties of 1-Spot supplies that work well.

If the supplies don't cure it, you may need an isolation transformer like the HE-2 between the ES8 and the amp.

Once that is sorted, then you hvae to plug one pedal into the ES8 at a time, stopping and debugging if you get noise or tone issues.

GND loops are a nightmare to solve, but once done, it's easier to modify the system later without problems.
I do have a voodoo labs pp2+. Btw what do you mean by “If none, disconnect and hook the part of the ES8 you want in the Amp's FX loop.” If im not mistaken you want me to setup the es without any pedals in fx loop and use the es-8’s loop to see whether it’ll make some noise or not?

I think I'm not sure how you want to hook this up.

What will the finished signal path look like?
Everything will be hooked up to boss es8 but some pedals are gonna be before preamp and some in the fx loop. I’ll have chorus,delay reverb and noise gate in the loop. And then all the drive/distortion/ fuzz will be infront of preamp. I do have a flanger but im not sure where i’ll be putting that and also the tuner will be hooked up in the tuner out of boss es-8

More specifically, will you have the amp in a es8 loop or the es8 in the amp fx loop?

What will be connected to amp input and fx loop send/return?

More specifically, will you have the amp in a es8 loop or the es8 in the amp fx loop?

What will be connected to amp input and fx loop send/return?
Man sorry for unclear/incomplete explanation. Everything will be connected to es-8 including the guitar. So basically guitar goes to es-8’s instrument in and from there the signal goes to amp’s input via es-8’s send volume. So everything that i want to have before the preamp will go through es-8 to input of the amp. Then amp’s effect send jack returns to the ES-8 via the RTN VOL (volume return) jack and the signal goes from the output of the ES-8, after passing through another chain of effects, to the amp’s effect return jack.

I guess in short. Guitar and all the pedals are connected to the boss es-8. And i’ll have the es-8 connected to the amp’s send and return. That way i can have some pedals before preamp and some pedals in between preamp and power amp. Thanks for your time man!!

No worries.

Step one, guitar to es to amp. Nothing connected to amp send or return. Fix any hum.

Step two, guitar to amp input, amp fx send to es, es out to amp fx return. Fix hum.

Step three. Guitar to es, es to fx send and return. Fix hum. EDIT also es to amp input

Step four, add one pedal. Fix hum.

Repeat

Last edited:
No worries.

Step one, guitar to es to amp. Nothing connected to amp send or return. Fix any hum.

Step two, guitar to amp input, amp fx send to es, es out to amp fx return. Fix hum.

Step three. Guitar to es, es to fx send and return. Fix hum.

Step four, add one pedal. Fix hum.

Repeat
Yeah, diagnosing a hum or noise problem can be quite annoyingly tedious. Start with nothing, then add until you instantiate the problem. Then swap something else in instead, to see if it is specific to that last added piece, or just an overall "overload" of the system.

On the original topic, my settings on both the 100W head and the 25W combo I just got tend to be the same, so far: everything at noon, maybe 1 o'clock, except Volume around 2pm for both channels and Masters to whatever level of loudness I am looking to experience. Bright switches off, IIRC? Maybe lead ch on and clean ch off? Hmm, I honestly can't recall, and not near my amps right now...

OK, here are my settings as I found them today. Note that I have since turned the bright switch to On for the Lead channel on the 25W combo:

1u4GWkf.jpg

Vb2iMOi.jpg

Sorry about the white "fluff" on the combo grille - I did just get it, and the packing styrofoam sheets left some "styrofoam-lint". I got most of the "lint" off, but it is remarkably stubborn...

Lead master at 10:00 with gain at 1:00... that's getting pretty loud. Congrats on the combo. I'd still like to have one some day.

My metal settings???

SIX, SIX, SIX!!!

It brings forth the BEAST - RAAAAAAARRRRRR!!!!!!

Everything else is on TEN!!!!!!!! AAAAAIIIIEEEEEEEEE!!!!

And, clean??? Pshhh….who needs CLEAN when you summoning forth the BEAST with your raging down tuned riffs???? Fast, slow, does it matter? As long as it's HEAVY!!!!!!!!!!

Just remember - preamp = TEN!!!!!! bass = SIX mids = SIX treble = SIX master = TEN all other controls = TEN!!!!!

Then the Beast says, "Heck yeah! Rock on! I'm having my wings waxed - I'll be up later to take your soul. Just keep pleasing my horns with the sweet sound of METAL!!!!!!!"

Ok, so that part of the noise is from your guitar or cable. If you move around the room, you may find a noise source that the guitar is picking up. Could be florescent lights for example.
Yup when turn around or move a little bit there is a spot where the noise is the quietest

Ok, so that part of the noise is from your guitar or cable. If you move around the room, you may find a noise source that the guitar is picking up. Could be florescent lights for example.

PC monitors are bad about that as well.

Don’t forget about the thing the water company attaches to your house so they can read your meter remotely. Wreaks havoc, especially with single coil equipped guitars.

Back