Post Pictures of your PRS that look like '59 Bursts

Solteroblues

I really want a R9 or some other 59 Burst looking guitar, but I'd much prefer PRS over Gibson. Do any of you guys want to share pics of your guitars that have that sunburst look about them? Looking specifically for the dark red to amber bursts... I don't even care if its a single cut or double cut, I just want to see examples of what PRS has done in a similar scheme.

Please post the name of the color, too.

Thanks!

This isn't mine, but similar to what I'm looking for:

s-l1600.jpg

Here’s mine, it's my #1. Best sounding SC I've ever owned or played.

Kinda-sorta has that faded '59 vibe? But not much red. I've had a number of Dark Cherry Burst PRS' and that finish might be closer to what you're looking for.

The finish on this one is called Faded McCarty Burst. It was part of a limited run made by the PS team called the McCarty Singlecut, back in 2014. The pickups were specially wound 57/08s, and they might be my favorite all time traditional humbucking PRS pickups, though my guitars with the 58/15s have been pretty close.

The back is a reddish-stained African ribbon mahogany, similar in color to a '59 LP, the fretboard is Madagascar rosewood, and the bird inlays are mammoth ivory (an exotic material to be sure, but most folks prefer the sparkle of the shell inlays). All were common features of this run, plus a Santana-shaped headstock with the mammoth ivory eagle.

Tim Pierce has a very similar one from this run that he's played on his videos from time to time. At the time these were released, Paul Smith said that he felt he'd 'cracked the code' of the '59 LPs. Later, he came out with the 594s, and I think they're pretty darn close in tone, but the PRSes seem to me to have a wider frequency response, something I much prefer to an older LP. YMMV.

9jbLbz1.jpg

Last edited:
Can a few SE's join the party?

Though technically PRS call all these finishes Vintage Sunburst, I don't agree.

First up 2 Bernies (still singlecuts and modelled on a LP) Both part of the 1000 piece original run
51558452990_631a0cab88_k.jpg

51549611296_493252c1de_k.jpg

Both of these I feel look more like McCarty Burst

2012 Bernie
51997395929_693549aef0_k.jpg

Finally 2014 Zach Myers
51997183243_0844948994_k.jpg

More of Dark Cherry Burst

I owned this beautiful, beautiful beast--it's an SC 245 in "Vintage Sunburst"--but sadly no longer own it. It was amazing but also 9.25 lbs. meanwhile I also had (and still have) a lighter and less-fancy Stripped 58 so I let it go back into the pond.

Absolutely amazing looking & sounding instrument, though. Arguably one of the most beautiful PRS I've owned, and I would not be able to refute that.

PS. This guitar was not designated as a 10-top, nor was it an Artist or other type of higher-level wood type. Just a "regular old guitar..."

I nearly forgot - a couple more I’ve owned…

McCarty Burst early SC from 2000: I had a beautiful sounding Stripped 58 in this finish later.

i7EuMj5.jpg

In between this first one and the next was another SC from the early 2000s, with an Artist Package in Amber.

An MC58 Artist in Burnt Almond; I could kick myself for letting this go. I bought another one like it, but I couldn't recapture the magic this one had; ebony fretboard and 53/10 pickups:

NYEBoqt.jpg

Last edited:
Both of these from the early 90's are marked as Vintage Sunburst. However, the CE24 seems to have a more faded look, maybe because the top is more plain or because it's been left out more (makes sense since it has been my go-to guitar since I bought it and it has not seen the inside of the case since). The Custom has a deeper red contour like a Cherry Sunburst but it actually is Vintage Sunburst as well.

77bbac_2c25bed4a1fb4a349080cae0041128d8~mv2.jpg

Back