possible to change p/u combinations on 5-way rotary?

lchender

This might be a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway. Is it possible to change the settings on a PRS CU22 (from 2001) with a 5-way rotary?

My reasoning is that I'm digging the p/u combinations on the newer models with the 5-way blade, but I'm happy with the 5-way rotary setup and see no reason to dump a guitar I love the tone of and buy a new model just to get a few different switching positions.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom those in the know might have to share!

Just to clarify...are you looking to potentially rewire the guitar so that the 5 rotary positions match the positions of the ones on the newer blades? I am not a wiring guy, but I know the PRS support site maps out all of the combos

http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/switching.html

Didn't do a line-by-line, but I guess the biggest difference is the way the newer switching combines the humbuckers and single coils, whereas the old way was more variations on single coil combinations.

My 2 with 5-ways are early 90s, and wouldn't change a thing, but I have never played one of the newer ones with the blade...

Yes, I'd like to rewire the 5-way rotary to match the positions of the new 5-way blade guitars. It would be nice to have a 'both humbuckers' position in particular as I never use the standard 5-way rotary middle position. I also really like the new position 2 (bridge bucker with neck single coil split). I find that the two 'in between' positions (the hum cancelling single coil splits) on the old 5-way sound nearly identical, so it might be nice to switch one of them up for the new position 2 setting.

Back