Porter Gatekeeper Pickups.

chicagoslim

I've installed a set of Porter, Gatekeeper pickups in my S2 Custom 22. Low wind, low output (6.8k), alnico II for the neck and low output (7.8k), alnico V for the bridge. They sound very good. I still have another CU22 for comparison. They sound a little more full range, than my 85/15s pickups. They are kind of like a Starla or Filtertron in the neck, with a PAF in the bridge.

I wired the Gatekeepers only for the humbucker mode. As a Strat player, I'm not impressed with the split pickup sound. The PRS pickups still sound better in the middle position. But, I'm hoping to get balance between the neck and bridge. Overall I'm very pleased with Porter Pickups.

My pair of S2 Custom 22's.

Last edited:
So I'm considering a set of these for a used SE I just purchased. After having these for a while now, what do you think? Are they still in the guitar? Still enjoying them?

Thanks

So I'm considering a set of these for a used SE I just purchased. After having these for a while now, what do you think? Are they still in the guitar? Still enjoying them?

Thanks

Yea, playing them still makes me smile. They sound different than my other PRS pickups. Much warmer and vintage Gibon, sounding. Plus, I was so impressed with the people at Porter Pickups, that I would gladly order my next set of pickups from them.

Yea, playing them still makes me smile. They sound different than my other PRS pickups. Much warmer and vintage Gibon, sounding. Plus, I was so impressed with the people at Porter Pickups, that I would gladly order my next set of pickups from them.

Awesome. I like their price range (for their lower tier offerings). From the videos I've seen, they sound great--that includes the $100 set as well.

Have you tried resistor tapping the splits? It's true that not all pickups split well, but adding resistors to ground on your split coil "when split" can boost some gain and tone of the split sound. Look at the PRS DGT wiring diagram on their support website. Works like a charm for me on my BKP Mules. Those split tones are divine.

I don't see the point in splitting the Porter Gatekeepers, as they are a low output, vintage PAF type of pickups. Most of my PRS pickups sound good, when split. As does my Seymour Duncan, Saturday Night Specials (9k). Even my PRS 58/15S pickups, sound better in my SE Hollowbody II, non-splitable, single Volume and Tone, than they do in my S2 594, splitable, with 2 - Volume and 2 Tone controls. YMMV!

Back