Porcupine Tree

Interesting. I like it. I tried 3 times before I could get past 5 minutes without getting interrupted. Kept waiting for something to happen and now I see how they built the song. I’m going to revisit it when I can play it louder.

Interesting. I like it. I tried 3 times before I could get past 5 minutes without getting interrupted. Kept waiting for something to happen and now I see how they built the song. I’m going to revisit it when I can play it louder.

I first got introduced to Porcupine Tree in 2002, when they opened for Yes. We were slightly late walking in, and they were playing a song called "Gravity Eyelids". I had that same experience of waiting for something to happen...PT does that a fair amount, the slow build that then takes off. I went from "this is interesting but a little slow" to "I need to buy their album from the merch table right freaking now".

Yeah man I dig em'!! Totally underrated IMHO. I haven't listened to this in years. I love that by the time the song is over, I feel like I have legit been on a trip somewhere. I also love all the layers and textures. Feels like you can almost touch their music. 100% FIRE

Oh.. AND you're welcome for my unsolicited armchair music critique. :p

Last edited:
I go back and forth between In Absentia and The Incident as my favorite Porcupine Tree albums. If you haven't listened to PT in 5.1 surround, you've missed out. Steven Wilson is the king of surround sound mixing.

All my designs...
Simplified
And all of my plans...
Compromised
And all of my dreams...
Sarificed

This song is probably my favorite Porcupine Tree song. (Lots of competition, though.)

I played this for someone once, a teenaged relative of mine at the time, who said "yep, that is definitely your type of song!"

Your experience reminds me of a review of the album when it first came out. It said something along the lines of "when Steven Wilson starts singing the first verse at roughly two minutes in, many pop songs have already sung two verses and two choruses, and are looking to begin their final verse/chorus combo."

(And a quick review of the "hits" of 2005 show them to be generally under 4 minutes long...)

And for those that didn't know, Porcupine Tree have reformed, if perhaps for only one album and tour.

I just posted this on FB so if this seems repetitive, sorry...

Their latest video is them in the studio recording their latest single "Of the New Day".

Steven Wilson plays his tele a fair bit, but also plays his goldtop Singlecut trem, and then this is what surprised me: a Core or PS Angelus acoustic. (He used to play Babicz, even had a "signature" model.) Looks very similar to my Steve Fischer from 2010, but I'm sure PRS would gladly give him a PS. The acoustic appears at roughly 3:20.

Ahhh.. PT! The last band I was in was formed in part as a scheme to play Porcupine Tree songs with other living human beings.

That was... altogether too long ago.

A nice PRS/PT tie-in: I bought The Incident on CD brand new while in Maryland for the '09 PRS Experience. Started listening to that in the rental car, then a night or two later hooked up with some Experience buddies who had tickets to the PT show in Baltimore that very night! So we left the party in the parking lot, drove north, and caught the absolutely epic show that was. I'd seen 'em a few years before in Seattle but had forgotten how heavy they could be when they got rolling. I also learned at that show what a champion John Wesley is as a live performer. Good times...

Pretty cool video of Steven Wilson talking about some of the gear he used on the new album. I was really surprised that he was so enamored with that Tele. But I get it.

Last edited:
yer in Umphreys McGee) is doing paid lessons on livelessonmasters.com. I didn't take note of other PRS artists but there could be more.

I first got introduced to Porcupine Tree in 2002, when they opened for Yes. We were slightly late walking in, and they were playing a song called "Gravity Eyelids". I had that same experience of waiting for something to happen...PT does that a fair amount, the slow build that then takes off. I went from "this is interesting but a little slow" to "I need to buy their album from the merch table right freaking now".

I've been a huge Porcupine Tree fan for a long while. Saw them twice before (first time at the Stone Pony in Asbury Park which is a legendary intimate venue if you have a chance to see a show in the original club) and my third and likely last time will be on Saturday this week.

I'm pleased to see from the setlists that they do play a mix of tunes from different eras of the band, which can all sound vastly different. Really looking forward to the show!

Back